User Tag List

Thread: Indoor Training with power using TrainerRoad or ????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Indoor Training with power using TrainerRoad or ????

Let's have a talk about using Computrainer, Trutrainer (rollers), Wahoo etc. etc. etc. with various software programs for indoor training.

Here is my schtick >>>

I feel another nasty winter coming on AND Queen works out indoors 4 days per week and she deserves an upgrade. With the old lady out of town I've deconstructed her playpen/workout station and in the throws of putting together something alot nicer using a Mac Mini, two very nice older HDTV monitors, Computrainers and a rug ;)

Situation:
    I've got TrainerRoad working well with a lab unit that has a handlebar display chip version of 4.XX that works great. The other units all have 2.XX chipsets and will not talk to TrainerRoad. Booooo

If anyone has experience with this or a more recent chipset they are done with please holler.

Also, just to fan the flames, I'm real real real interested using TruTrainer or InsideRide (I have both) with TrainerRoad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Indoor Training with power using TrainerRoad or ????

My computrainer is from 1996 and still uses the Nintendo game so I'm no help. It's interesting to see it on a nice HD TV, kind of blocky. I've been setting up the mancave for winter since I have back surgery next Wednesday and won't be able to muscle stuff around for a few months. I'll start out on the spin bike hopefully around the one month point.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, you've gone beyond me with the "extras" you mention, but, last winter I was on the inside ride (e-motion) rollers with trainerroad for structured workouts that I built using their build-your-own tool. My inside ride rollers are fully manual, I do not have the new adjustable electronic adapter they've released.

I was pairing my Stages PM with my iPad because at the time, my PC could not connect to the Stages. I have a new PC now, and expect to use the PC this winter. I did do a few sufferfest videos through trainerroad for variety. I also sometimes watched Netflix on a separate laptop or ipad while running trainerroad on the paired ipad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I switch between trutrainers and a Kurt kinetic depending on what I am focusing on for the work out. I will say that the pre-made trainer road workouts usually have too low power requirements between efforts to stay upright on the rollers. This may be a non issue depending on who may be using it. I can only get down to 120-130 W before things get wobbly with 53-39 and 11/23 or 12/25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info.

FWIIW there is a companion app for trainerroad that allows you to run two computrainers at the same time.

Glad I still have SRM wireless which apparently will synch. with trainerroad via bluetooth / imac mini.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Good info.

...allows you to run two computrainers at the same time.
    if I had a million dollars...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    "...I'm real real real interested using TruTrainer or InsideRide (I have both) with TrainerRoad..."
    What is the verdict (so far, anyway) on which rollers pair better with Zwift?
    I am contemplating top-of-the-line InsideRide so I can join virtual group rides.
    My understanding is resistance is automagically variable according to the Zwift route selected?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    What is the verdict (so far, anyway) on which rollers pair better with Zwift?
    I am contemplating top-of-the-line InsideRide so I can join virtual group rides.
    My understanding is resistance is automagically variable according to the Zwift route selected?
    My experience is using a PM with rollers. I've switched to using wahoo snap exclusively for indoor misery riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using "smartrollers" like the new upgraded InsideRide with the Zwift tool?

Inside Ride "Smart Resistance Control" update — Inside Ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Kickr. Efficient, quiet, simple.

What do you all like about zwift vs. Trainerroad?

For me, I've used TrainerRoad, like the plans (the sweet spot base is great), and the workout builder is much easier than anything else I've seen.

What about Zwift though? Is it just a way to do group rides? There's certainly value in that for training -- and something I'm definitely lacking -- but does it have the ability to build workouts as part of a plan in addition to the group rides?
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy the group rides and races on Zwift, but the workouts creator is what is impressing me the most. I get a lot more done on Zwift then when I use TR or another program. I don't know why, I just enjoy it more. It is also keeping me honest on recovery rides and Zone 2 rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrevich4 View Post
    I love my Kickr. Efficient, quiet, simple.

What do you all like about zwift vs. Trainerroad?

For me, I've used TrainerRoad, like the plans (the sweet spot base is great), and the workout builder is much easier than anything else I've seen.

What about Zwift though? Is it just a way to do group rides? There's certainly value in that for training -- and something I'm definitely lacking -- but does it have the ability to build workouts as part of a plan in addition to the group rides?
    I have not used TrainerRoad but get the concept.
    In addition to the training plans and the ability to make your own, Zwift allows you to ride 'terrain' provided you have a smart trainer (like your Kickr). This means that resistance changes depending on where you are...much like riding outside. In order words, there is an outside force (the terrain) that is altering the required effort. You can mix that with whatever work out you want to accomplish. And the designed terrain generally has hills that just so happen to correlate to traditional interval times. For example there are hills that are 8-10 minutes as well as ~20 minutes. The guys behind Zwift understand cycling and training to have designed the environments this way.

It also plays into a racer's psyche of wanting to chase people down, hang with a group, etc. To a certain extent you have to be careful not to fall into this if you are just trying to get a spin in.

So far I am very impressed by Zwift. And this is coming form a guy that avoids video games (I have zero interest in them).
    Brian McLaughlin