User Tag List

Thread: Super-slick material makes steel better, stronger, cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Super-slick material makes steel better, stronger, cleaner?

This came across my 'desk' last month from phys.org and I thought I should share as it may trickle into our small corner of the industrial world. If anything it's interesting to see such a mature material can still be improved upon:

Steel is ubiquitous in our daily lives. We cook in stainless steel skillets, ride steel subway cars over steel rails to our offices in steel-framed building. Steel screws hold together broken bones, steel braces straighten crooked teeth, steel scalpels remove tumors. Most of the goods we consume are delivered by ships and trucks mostly built of steel.

While various grades of steel have been developed over the past 50 years, steel surfaces have remained largely unchanged—and unimproved. The steel of today is as prone as ever to the corrosive effects of water and salt and abrasive materials such as sand. Steel surgical tools can still carry microorganisms that cause deadly infections.

Now, researchers at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) have demonstrated a way to make steel stronger, safer and more durable. Their new surface coating...
    Full article at:
    Super-slick material makes steel better, stronger, cleaner
    Seth Rosko
    Rosko Cycles
    New York City
    www.rosko.cc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Super-slick material makes steel better, stronger, cleaner?

Makes me wonder if we will finally be able to have a durable coating for naked brazed frames.
    Kris Clark
    Amateur Maker