User Tag List

Thread: Custom Furniture

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Custom Furniture

My wife and I are in the market for a dining room table and are considering a custom built option. We are looking at a reclaimed wood table with a solid rustic/industrial aesthetic but still nicely finished. We would ideally like an extension table as well. We have looked at a variety of tables both one off and manufactured but have not seen anything quite right yet. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for a custom extension table? We want a wooden top, but are open to both wood and metal legs/supports. Local (Seattle) is nice but not required. The restoration hardware salvaged wood tables are a close fit, but we don't like any of the available finishes and I like the idea of a handmade table if we can find one that meets our needs and budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Custom Furniture

We are in the same boat. We don't like anything off the shelf. Down here in Florida, reclaimed cypress and cedar are the common wood. We are looking for indoor and outdoor furniture. We have come across some woodsmith shops by searching on our local Craigslist. Really talented folks and prices have been really reasonable for what they do. Not sure about your neck of the woods but I would think you could find a woodsmith shop up there via Craigslist. I think I was searching under lumber or building materials for reclaimed wood and some of the woodsmiths were there. Worth a shot anyway. Good luck.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailor, pm me, I can put you in touch with a pal of mine in PDX who may be able to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can make you anything you want.. My shop mate's website should show up in the signature line. A few of the things that I have built are on there. I make furniture, not websites.

I have a full steel, wood, plastic shop. I am far from you, but shipping is typically not too bad. If you know what you want, shoot me a pm.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I can make you anything you want.. My shop mate's website should show up in the signature line. A few of the things that I have built are on there. I make furniture, not websites.

I have a full steel, wood, plastic shop. I am far from you, but shipping is typically not too bad. If you know what you want, shoot me a pm.
    Beat me to the suggestion.

I don't have anything from Rowdy, but the pics I've seen of his stuff all looks amazing.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just picked this table up on Friday, having ordered it 6 months or so ago. A 32nd anniversary gift to each other if you will. Hand shaped, joined and finished Tiger maple from a true craftsman and his shop in Youngstown, Ohio, Jim Treharn. We also ordered several Windsor chairs from Jim and they should be here in a few weeks...how could we resist?

image.jpg

J.L. Treharn antique reproductionsDesign & Construction

The leaves are underneath the top and built on a sliding rack of maple...the table will seat 10 when fully open. Needless to say we are the family hub now for main holidays and this table will see several generations gather for good times. You can buy directly from Jim's daughter who has a retail shop about an hour North of Pittsburgh. PM or email if you want to connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend Jay's Woods. He will impress. Here is his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Jays-Woods-...c_location=ufi

Jay's website Jay's Woods - Bennet, Nebraska Fine Furniture, Doors and Cabinets

Not local I know, but it would be worth the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bet there are a number of pro woodworkers in Seattle. I haven't been there in quite a while, but the wood suppliers I visited when I was there were obviously not being supported by amateur woodworkers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if The Joinery is too finished a product for you, (not so much industrial feel), but they build beautiful furniture. The shop is in Portland OR.

The Joinery | Handcrafted Solid Wood Furniture

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis View Post
    Not sure if The Joinery is too finished a product for you, (not so much industrial feel), but they build beautiful furniture. The shop is in Portland OR.

Beautiful work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife has decided she wants a live edge walnut table, budget will not cover a slab table the size we want. I found these guy's online they look like a quality product, walnut boards with a live edge, choice of legs and they will make end leaves for $500 Live Edge Tables - Lorimer Workshop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my wife and I drove to pick up four Windsor chairs from Jim Treharn's shop that were made to go with our table (see post #6 above). The chairs fit like a glove and we very much appreciate the effort of the craftsmen in delivering this level of detail, finish and quality.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a chair with turned legs and an arched back, that's a seriously masculine piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviving this old thread. We have an Oak table and bench from the Joinery (link below) that we really enjoy.

Curious to know about other small/medium-sized companies or solo makers who build wood furniture.

Who do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by dennis View Post