Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technivorm Coffee Makers, part deux

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Technivorm Coffee Makers, part deux

I've gone through this very old thread about Technivorm coffee makers, and wanted to see if anyone has more recent experience with their Moccamaster. I've been using a ceramic pour-over dripper the last few years, but want to move to a drip machine to more easily make greater number of cups each morning. Also, my grinder is an old Solis (Baratza) that needs repair or replacement (the grind adjustment ring is stuck on one of the "drip" settings).

So, if you're pleased or disappointed with your Technivorm, let's hear it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Technivorm Coffee Makers, part deux

I've been using this one for several years, contact Baratza they were really good at providing parts and assistance when my grinder broke.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    I've been using this one for several years...
    Thanks, how well does that model do partial brew quantity, say half the carafe capacity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a Moccamaster for a little over a year. I looked at a lot of different coffee makers before buying it and have not been disappointed. Simple to use, heats the water properly (few coffee makers can say that) and the carafe keeps the coffee hot which is important to me since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I usually make two very large cups when I use it (fill the tank to about 8.5) and the second cup is as hot as the first when I drink it about 30 minutes after making.

My point of reference is a pour over which is what I use when I only want one cup. I'm sure the Moccamaster would do that just fine but my wife drinks tea so it's simpler to just add however much water I want to the kettle when heating water for her tea. The Moccamaster compares very favorably to the pour over.
    Greg

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. Purchased one about two years ago after reading the above referenced thread. Sitting here enjoying a cup now. Simple, the right temperature, works well for partial carafes. I don't do pour over at home, but it seems to match the quality of pour overs I've had at good independent coffee shops. Simple and solid design so not much to break. Looks kind of industrial, which my wife doesn't like FWIW.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a second one after my first one, with fifteen years of hard use, went to my son in college. You simply can't go wrong with a Technivorm-the initial outlay is more than made up for by great coffee and durability. It's all about the water temp when it hits the grounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had one for 10 years of daily multi-use and it is still working like new. I do clean and descale it occasionally. Makes great coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just purchased mine last week...I can echo the comments above. Used a Jura Capresso until it died....still use a French press, & an ancient Melitta pour over. The recent sale at Williams-Sonoma pushed me over the edge in my decision to purchase; both my wife & I like the looks, speed and quality of the coffee it produces.
    Jon Stone. Raconteur, Bon Vivant, Wabibito.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Technivorms are well-made and look pretty cool. For best results, the owners I know fiddle with the process a bit by shutting the drain and stirring to steep the grounds before letting it drain. They tell me the result is excellent and lasts in a thermos for most of the day without getting nasty.

My personal favorite is the on-again/off-again Krups F468 Moka Brew. It too takes some fiddling for best results, but all the Europeans at my previous job preferred what it could produce to anything else -- it's the Anthony Bourdain of drip coffee.

Hey, I see it's ON again! Buy one, buy one, buy one! The results are totally unique and awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    The Technivorms are well-made and look pretty cool. For best results, the owners I know fiddle with the process a bit by shutting the drain and stirring to steep the grounds before letting it drain. They tell me the result is excellent and lasts in a thermos for most of the day without getting nasty.
    I do this part of this because there's a limit to how much I'm willing to do and also because the difference is imperceptible to me. Here's what I do:
    1. When brewing, wait until the level on the water tank is at 2.
    2. Shut the drain.
    3. Set a timer for 2 minutes.
    4. Open the drain.
    5. Enjoy!

Easier and not as messy as shutting the drain, pulling off the brew basket, stirring, etc., and, as I said, if there's a difference between what I do and the "full program" it's imperceptible to me.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks gents, good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates here? Debating a Cup One.

I've got an Aeropress and a V60, both of which I love, but for me are better for weekends when I'm not trying to get animals fed and the kids to brush.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pull the trigger. I bought one of the glass carafe units a 3-4 years ago. Buy once, cry once. I haven't considered the price since purchase. I've had exactly zero problems with it. If my house burned down, I'd buy one again without considering other options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Moccamaster with the insulated carafe. I bought it around 2005 and it has had heavy use ever since. When we moved to Boston last year several of the plastic pieces got broken (bad packing, abuse). I was easily able to order all new pieces from the company for small $$. Incredible that there is this kind of support for a 15-year old consumer product in this day and age. It makes great coffee, and always has for 15 years, and appears to be fully rebuildable. Overall, it is one of the best things I have ever purchased, I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Purchased a Moccamaster in 2010. Coffee is good and convenient. Get the insulated carafe. When we have more time / attention, our best home coffee is from clever drippers. Glad to have both options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I guess I started the original madness way back in '09, I'll second @defspace:

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Buy once, cry once.
    I didn't take his advice. When I was looking at Technivorms, I ended up buying a high end Bunn instead. The brew time was faster, which seemed like a good idea. After two or three years, the heating element burned out and I put a $250 coffee maker in the trash.

I ended up pressing the old Mr. Coffee into service again, and here I am in 2020 drinking a cup of coffee from it. It doesn't make the coffee I want, but it makes the coffee I deserve.

When I want good coffee, I've been making it with a temp-controlled electric kettle and a pour over. I think that makes about as good a cup as anything, but it's more work than an automatic drip brewer that I can set up the night before.

In sum, I wish I had just bought the Technivorm so that the cup of coffee I'm drinking right now eleven years later was better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes the best drip coffee by far - I am so lazy now - I am actually using pre-ground Peets coffee which in a back to back taste test was identical to grinding beans right before brewing. No one in the house was happy with the grinder running at 5:00 am

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm impressed.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying our Moccamaster. Can't remember when we purchased it.......6-8 years ago but I can say that I haven't been to Burnbucks since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thinking about splurging for a Technivorm.

But just bumped into this intriguing gizmo: BODUM(R) - Siphon Coffee Maker ePEBO 1. L

Anybody with experience? And as someone who has always gone full oil (moka pot or old-school percolator) I'm also wondering about the theory that a paper filter pulls the oils out and does good for your cholesterol level.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast