Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technivorm Coffee Makers, part deux

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Technivorm Coffee Makers, part deux

Our house has been old-school for coffee (moka pot, french press, and ceramic pourover) for as long as we've been married, but my wife bought the Moccamaster (10 cup) a couple months into lockdown and I've been impressed.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in on technivorm mocca master with insulated carafe. We filter our water in a brita. Helps keep it clean. After blowing through a few cheap drip machines we bit the bullet. The thing flat out works.

You do need to make sure that 1. Your drain is open when you hit the button. It is easy to close it by accident. 2. Make sure that you have no stray coffee grounds between the filter and the drain hole in the filter basket. It clogs easily and quickly and is a huge mess if it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never used a Technivorm, but after six years I continue to be impressed with the Bonavita 1900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got one for our small office - will probably see 4-5 batches per day. Even if it only lasts a few years, this one was $210 or so at Amazon, so hard to go wrong.

In a shared environment the glass carafe is the only way to go. So frustrating before to go into the break room for a cup of coffee, get a few ounces out of the big insulated carafe and hear thing thing sputter empty.

This is a big leap forward from the pre-ground stuff in a bag that we used to get an dump in our huge generic drip machine.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have that one in black, and now I am slightly jealous of the silver color.
    Helpful to know if ours ever dies.
    Two plus years and two pots on average a day (me and wife, then au pair when she rises…) and zero issues.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had a silver MoccaMaster for two or three years now, and I have zero complaints.

I think I actually posted here asking about them 10+ years ago (edit: in 2009, linked at the start of this thread), and burned through a few cheap ones before finally biting the bullet. I should have just bought one right away.

However, if you're willing to do it manually, a temp controlled gooseneck kettle (I have a Bonavita on my desk at work) plus a good pourover (mine is metal and says Kalita on it) makes fantastic coffee, too.
    Last edited by caleb; 09-13-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going on 7 years with a thermal carafe version with happy results. I've had to replace the filter basket once, because of a broken flow valve. I run vinegar through it semiannually, though it could probably use a comprehensive breakdown for descaling. Cannot recommend these guys enough.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    We've had a silver MoccaMaster for two or three years now, and I have zero complaints.

I think I actually posted here asking about them 10+ years ago (edit: in 2009, linked at the start of this thread), and burned through a few cheap ones before finally biting the bullet. I should have just bought one right away.

However, if you're willing to do it manually, a temp controlled gooseneck kettle (I have a Bonavita on my desk at work) plus a good pourover (mine is metal and says Kalita on it) makes fantastic coffee, too.
    Pourover is my favorite type of coffee, but we need volume first thing in the morning, then if I have more midmorning it's kettle plus pourover.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Brought my coffee basket home yesterday because I’ll be moving offices soon. It’s just a pour over kit with an electric kettle, a hand grinder, and good beans. I’m surrounded by coffee shops but the pour over is a) really good and b) a nice break from my desk. Tends to spark conversations, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Just got one for our small office - will probably see 4-5 batches per day. Even if it only lasts a few years, this one was $210 or so at Amazon, so hard to go wrong.
    ok, brain fog here, i picked this up for $299, not $210. Again, for some reason the silver model was $50-60 cheaper than the others.

So far so good other than one overflow event yesterday where someone here slopped coffee down between the filter and basket and hot water overflowed all over the counter. Luckily a capable office mate discovered this and was able to reverse engineer the problem. The Moccamaster definitely requires a little more care than our old rental machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

our technivorm is great. for anyone looking for a less expensive option producing as good or better result ... Clever Dripper.

the downside ... the quantity is one cup at a time and arguably the work is 2-3x more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want pour over at volume, why not a Chemex? I go between vacuum pot and chemex in the am, espresso noonish.
    My name is David Moeny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12