Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: would you buy a VW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default would you buy a VW?

I am in the market for another car and my local VW dealer is offering me a 2016 Autobahn GTI for $2,500 under invoice for being a loyal customer.

The $2,500 under invoice is about $5K off MSRP. I am interested, but still pissed off about my TDI......

Just curious what people would do.......
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: would you buy a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I am in the market for another car and my local VW dealer is offering me a 2016 Autobahn GTI for $2,500 under invoice for being a loyal customer.

The $2,500 under invoice is about $5K off MSRP. I am interested, but still pissed off about my TDI......

I would hold out for something better. Is that "loyalty" offer for having the TDI or just a general offer to all customers? At some point, I would think they have to give some sort of compensation to the owners they screwed over. How they handle the affected owners would determine if I ever bought another VW again. That said; at the end of the day, it's just a car. Do what you want... you'll probably change it up again in a few years anyway
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have owned 2 VWs and am the market for a car. I am not considering VW for the following reasons.
    I really like my B5 (2000) passat wagon, but it had lots of small and not so small issues and cost me $1000+ in maintenance every year.
    My 2013 Jetta TDI wagon was a letdown in ergonomics and quality compared to the passat and the seats caused me back pain, luckily I sold it before the scandal. The newer tailored to the US market, made inb mexico, cars generally don't seem as nice as the older cars that were the same worldwide and made in germany.
    I do not want to support a company that creates engineering workarounds to environmental regulations, as I care about the environment. I realize it is easy to find issues with most large companies these days, but if outrage doesn't come from consumers they will never change, the only thing that matters is the bottom line, so hit them where it hurts.
    I wish there were more manual, sporty, practical cars available in the US so that excluding VW had less impact on my car search. That said if anyone has a line on an e91 328xi wagon with a manual let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VW dealers, are scared because they don't know what is coming just yet, so trying to get some cash to prepare for whatever might come is their rationale. I think in general VW price will drop more because some of the care cost has to do with brand guarantee, and that credibility just bottomed out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a bigger car (soon!), but we also unfortunately need a second car to augment our 2010 TDI Wagen. Was looking at the deals they have on Touaregs right now and they're pretty compelling for repeat VW buyers, but I just can't get behind coughing up $50K to a company that very well may screw me on my existing car once the fixes are announced. Not to mention, kinda hamstrung in selling it anytime soon.

So we're going to buy something used (hopefully from a family member) and see what happens with the TDI issue once it clarifies a bit.

Should mention I have driven only VW's my entire life except for a short time we had 2 cars and the second one was an Impreza. So you could (historically) consider me loyal, and I love our Sportwagen, but even I have my limits.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The subsidized lease deal that are bound to come could be very enticing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    We need a bigger car (soon!), but we also unfortunately need a second car to augment our 2010 TDI Wagen. Was looking at the deals they have on Touaregs right now and they're pretty compelling for repeat VW buyers, but I just can't get behind coughing up $50K to a company that very well may screw me on my existing car once the fixes are announced. Not to mention, kinda hamstrung in selling it anytime soon.

So we're going to buy something used (hopefully from a family member) and see what happens with the TDI issue once it clarifies a bit.

Should mention I have driven only VW's my entire life except for a short time we had 2 cars and the second one was an Impreza. So you could (historically) consider me loyal, and I love our Sportwagen, but even I have my limits.
    I understand, we are starting to look at a used Mazda 3 hatchback for my son, rather than handing down the TDI sportwagen. WE have a freind who buys wholesale / auction.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post

They aren't giving you a discount as to being "a loyal customer" VW sales have been weak to non-existent for North America all year (longer actually)

Car dealers are in the business of selling cars.....they need to move some cars.

That being said the GTI is the only car I would ever buy from them....or maybe a golf sport wagon TDI.

Why are you pissed off about your TDI?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VW can't even give Toureg's away. It will have less space than your current wagon and drive like crap too.

Buy a minivan.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been pleased with my '11 GTI. Mine will be paid off shortly and while I was planning to keep it for a while, it'll be interesting to see what kind of deals start appearing. Only interested in another GTI though. Had a 2001 Passat wagon that I loved (went to the ex) but the new ones drive like a Buick.

Don't relish the idea of more car payments, but my parents are probably looking for something soon and I could gift mine and feel good about it. Hatchbacks and wagons are the only way for me to go (aside from two cars or car and truck) so appealing choices are limited. Not an SUV kinda guy.

$2500 isn't enough though.
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like the GTI, buy it............but at US$7K or more below msrp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to believe it is a rough time to be a vw dealer.

ALL QUESTIONS...NO SALES.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat. My wife made me sell mine when we got married.

1973-vw-campmobile-body.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking forward to some good deals on a used TDI Sportwagen with the six-speed when we decide to sell our SAAB 9-5 Aero sedan (which I wish was a wagon) and Honda Element (that my wife hates to drive).

Or I should just get a nice SAAB 9-3 Sportcombi with the V6 and six-speed for $7,000 and call it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I would.

The 'scandal" would not hinder me in the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    VW can't even give Toureg's away. It will have less space than your current wagon and drive like crap too.

Buy a minivan.
    I agree the toureg is not significant enough increase in size, especially given the terrible mileage and expensive maintenance you'll get.

I'm not a minivan guy. We're quite pleased with our Honda pilot and it has space galore, low maintenance costs, and comparable mileage to the toureg.

I'm in the market for a second car and had been thinking of a pre owned tdi or a4 avant but now leaning towards a Subaru impreza. I want the four wheel for frequent trips to ski country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I'm in the market for a second car and had been thinking of a pre owned tdi or a4 avant but now leaning towards a Subaru impreza. I want the four wheel for frequent trips to ski country.
    My Imprezza WRX was the most fun car I've ever had and that's with some VWs and Audis thrown in the mix. IMO, you're on the right path.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- "some fish get caught in the net.., others know the entrance --- out.."

ronnie still a common man's Porsche / VW fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I agree the toureg is not significant enough increase in size, especially given the terrible mileage and expensive maintenance you'll get.

I'm not a minivan guy. We're quite pleased with our Honda pilot and it has space galore, low maintenance costs, and comparable mileage to the toureg.

I like just about any Subie even though they are all pretty much milk toast. Impreza irks me a little as do most current hatches because there really isn't much room in the boot.

I'd consider a new stripped down outback out of their lineup. better interiors than past, same for the legacy.

I swore I would never buy a minivan...until I did. It sucks to look at but I love the cargo and utility of the thing. Owning a motorcycle helps fulfill the speed/handling thing though.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gotten a few of the same emails from my VW dealer in Charlotte. $2k cash on the hood, on top of whatever existing incentives I qualify for, just for having a pulse and and a GTI titled in my name.

I am less enthused about the prospect given the rear main seal on my motor is slowly going -- a victim of their PCV issue -- but it is a new temptation to look at the Golf R...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast