Thread: And somehow we still call it a democracy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: And somehow we still call it a democracy

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    If they fail, the folks who would turn the USA into a fascist nation will not do so for a lack of trying.
    After all, who needs the First Amendment? Certainly not Florida's politicians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to granting greater leeways for defamation lawsuits for public figures against the press, House Bill 991 would also give Florida residents the right to sue others (both in the state or elsewhere in the U.S.) who describe their actions online as transphobic or homophobic, for sums as high as $35,000, and would not allow the truth to be used in defenses against such lawsuits."
    It makes me physically ill to read that and realize that there are people somewhere on this planet -- even if it's only in Florida -- who believe there is any value in ^^^that policy.

Admittedly my second reaction is "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After examining some old treaties, I think we can return Florida to the Kingdom of Spain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the current law is fine. As long as the press is operating on good faith they should not be on the hook. I am following the FOX-Dominion trial with interest as it seems FOX knowinlyg published false information. As a side note I have an entirely different view of how social media companies promote and allow on their sites anything regardless of how inaccurate or defamatory it is. Facebook, Twitter could be argued are de-facto publishers -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I think the current law is fine. As long as the press is operating on good faith they should not be on the hook. I am following the FOX-Dominion trial with interest as it seems FOX knowinlyg published false information. As a side note I have an entirely different view of how social media companies promote and allow on their sites anything regardless of how inaccurate or defamatory it is. Facebook, Twitter could be argued are de-facto publishers -Mike G
    “Seems”?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to granting greater leeways for defamation lawsuits for public figures against the press, House Bill 991 would also give Florida residents the right to sue others (both in the state or elsewhere in the U.S.) who describe their actions online as transphobic or homophobic, for sums as high as $35,000, and would not allow the truth to be used in defenses against such lawsuits."

https://truthout.org/articles/social...ti-press-bill/

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil.../?Tab=BillText

2027: "The Florida legislature today made it legal to file a defamation suit against anyone (both in the state and elsewhere) who denigrates the University of Florida Gators football team, for sums as high as $35,000, and would not allow the truth to be used in defense against such lawsuits."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    “Seems”?
    tongue in cheek

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida politics gets more dismal by the day: https://flvoicenews.com/blaise-ingog...2cxeaS-HkDIKB0

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (FLV) – Sen. Blaise Ingoglia, R-Spring Hill, filed “The Ultimate Cancel Act” Tuesday to immediately de-certify any political party that previously advocated for slavery in their party platform.

"For years now, leftist activists have been trying to ‘cancel’ people and companies for things they have said or done in the past. This includes the removal of statues and memorials, and the renaming of buildings. Using this standard, it would be hypocritical not to cancel the Democrat Party itself for the same reason,” Ingoglia said.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s reached the point where I no longer plan to visit Florida. No winter vacations, no cycling camps, no Disney/Universal, and no optional business trips (seminars, etc.). I refuse to economically assist the state. No rhetoric, just action. And I formerly consider myself a moderate Republican.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flurry of activity from those who bash so-called Liberal Cancel Culture in Florida….

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/f...ith-the-state/

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/f...s-some-nurses/
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People like to throw around the term "fascism" these days, but what's happening in Florida really seems like the tip of that spear aimed at killing this country. By the way, Ron DeSantis is basically a war criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    A flurry of activity from those who bash so-called Liberal Cancel Culture in Florida….
    "In the last 10 or 20 years there's been massive research documenting the fact that the media are extraordinarily subordinated to external power. Now, when you have all that power, the best technique is to ignore all that discussion, ignore it totally, and to eliminate it by the simple device of asserting the opposite."

-Noam Chomsky in 1998 as featured in "The Myth of the Liberal Media" by Sut Jhally

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anybody missed it....or is deluding themself by thinking that the current GOP has any redeeming value: https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/06/us/te...ote/index.html

Or maybe Tennessee's just trying to out Florida, Florida.

Ignoring global biosphere destruction taking care of business on the more rapid end of things, I seriously wonder, question really, whether or not the USA will last another, I dunno, say, 50 years as MOL a relevant and kinda sorta functioning democracy or at least a nation that can walk and chew gum at the same time. As to the battle for the globe's resources, if I was China I'd just sit back and watch the USA disembowel itself, and for fun and cost effective insurance maybe tweak the USA's tail wrt Taiwan just a skosh, ensuring that we pick our scabs enough to, well if not bleed to death at least get a good case of gangrene. On the other hand, with all of our nukes I wonder if China might suddenly be shocked at realizing that a functionally fractured USA might be unstable enough to warrant fear of morons getting control and pushing "the buttons", and kinda ruin their future too....and....wait for it.... step in to help stabilize us...maybe send troops and advanced robots over here to do a sort of USA Iraq "intervention"; I wonder what Operation Iraqi Freedo....sorry, I mean Operation Humpty Dumpty is in Mandarin?

The scenarios sound comical until you remind yourself that reality can be stranger than fiction. Sleep well, all.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it is because she is the Vice President it hasn’t gotten the coverage, but this speech the other day was so good and so bang on ATMO…and I also think it appropriately turns the argument around on those who are extemely destroying freedom while claiming to make it great.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ctive-rights/?
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article about Jim Jordan, in today's times. Two things struck me. First the John Boehner quote and second the absence of crafting any legislation. And yet he's considered a "success" in his quarters.

When a Republican speaker, John A. Boehner of Ohio, wasn’t conservative enough for his liking, Mr. Jordan, who co-founded the Freedom Caucus, led the band of hard-right lawmakers who pressured him to resign. Mr. Boehner referred to Mr. Jordan as a legislative and political “terrorist.”

Over eight terms in the House, Mr. Jordan, who served for a decade in Ohio’s Statehouse before winning election to Congress, has not been the lead sponsor of a single bill that became law, earning him a perennial ranking from the Center for Effective Lawmaking as among the least effective members of Congress. (Mr. Jordan’s aides argue he influences bills in committee without putting his name on them.)

Side note, i was more a fan of John Boehner who knew how to reach across the aisle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/16/u...FsjU-lEsXXwD-c

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article about Jim Jordan, in today's times. Two things struck me. First the John Boehner quote and second the absence of crafting any legislation. And yet he's considered a "success" in his quarters.

When a Republican speaker, John A. Boehner of Ohio, wasn’t conservative enough for his liking, Mr. Jordan, who co-founded the Freedom Caucus, led the band of hard-right lawmakers who pressured him to resign. Mr. Boehner referred to Mr. Jordan as a legislative and political “terrorist.”

Over eight terms in the House, Mr. Jordan, who served for a decade in Ohio’s Statehouse before winning election to Congress, has not been the lead sponsor of a single bill that became law, earning him a perennial ranking from the Center for Effective Lawmaking as among the least effective members of Congress. (Mr. Jordan’s aides argue he influences bills in committee without putting his name on them.)

Side note, i was more a fan of John Boehner who knew how to reach across the aisle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/16/u...FsjU-lEsXXwD-c

-Mike G
    He’s a tool. He comes out and lambasts his own party as well as the former occupier of the White House. But then when pressed admitted he voted for that guy twice. Like many modern members of that party, he puts loyalty to his party above loyalty to country or even just common sense.

Very few members of that party have had the stones to call out the cult they now are. Liz Cheney, with whom I can’t agree on very much from a policy perspective, had the courage to be honest. And it cost her her career.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    He’s a tool. He comes out and lambasts his own party as well as the former occupier of the White House. But then when pressed admitted he voted for that guy twice. Like many modern members of that party, he puts loyalty to his party above loyalty to country or even just common sense.

Very few members of that party have had the stones to call out the cult they now are. Liz Cheney, with whom I can’t agree on very much from a policy perspective, had the courage to be honest. And it cost her her career.
    Not to mention aiding and abetting sexual predation.
    He should be in prison, not Congress.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this is the closest we'll get to a Mea Culpa on this one.- Most of us who work for firms can't accept gratuities, dinners or sports tickets above a de minimus value

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/polit...8bQbZxoqC97_qw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this is the closest we'll get to a Mea Culpa on this one.- Most of us who work for firms can't accept gratuities, dinners or sports tickets above a de minimus value

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/polit...8bQbZxoqC97_qw
    He's in trouble and he's just dragging things out with meaningless promises about future behavior. This is going to be one of those situations where the more people look, the more they'll find. For years evidently, he's been claiming income from a real estate entity run by his wife's family that is now defunct and has been replaced with a new company run by his wife's family, except that any questions about either one asked of the family are re-directed to his wife as the one in charge. Lots of questions about what is actually going on there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...al-disclosure/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    He's in trouble and he's just dragging things out with meaningless promises about future behavior. This is going to be one of those situations where the more people look, the more they'll find. For years evidently, he's been claiming income from a real estate entity run by his wife's family that is now defunct and has been replaced with a new company run by his wife's family, except that any questions about either one asked of the family are re-directed to his wife as the one in charge. Lots of questions about what is actually going on there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...al-disclosure/
    Note worthy because its from fox news-saying there needs to be an investigation

The smell of financial corruption around Thomas is now stronger than the longstanding fear that his votes on the high court are dictated by his hatred of the liberals who put him through painful nomination hearing dominated by Anita Hill’s charges of sexual harassment.

The smell of financial favors is also now stronger than puzzlement about Thomas’s unyielding loyalty to a hardline Republican agenda that made former President Trump call Thomas his favorite justice.

https://thehill.com/opinion/columnis...ecent-reports/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All roads will lead through Ginni which has always been the issue.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast