Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Bread baking cookbook

My wife got me this cookbook for my birthday-

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

I dig baking bread but like most people I don't find the time very often. This cookbook's technique makes it a lot easier to find the time and yet the results are outstanding. The jist is you make a large batch of very wet dough and keep it stored in the fridge. You pull out a chunk and stick it in the oven within an hour. The thing I like is the spontaneity this allows. Last night I got home and didn't know what to make the family for dinner. I grabbed a chunk 'o dough, a few other ingredients and made a homemade pizza. 30 minutes after starting I'm handing my hungry kids slices of pizza that rival the best. Anybody else bake bread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curt, Do you use a bread machine or do you do it the old fashioned way?

Lately, we've been getting our bread from the local anarchist co-op bakery (which always makes me chuckle... anarchist co-op seems to be oxymoronic). Mmmmm, good stuff.

jimi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked at a pizza parlor in HS and learned to bake there.
    I've kept at it ever since. Usually its a sunday pm project.
    Lately I've been par-baking crusts and freezing them.
    I have a friend who has won several blue ribbons at the St. Fair.
    She has a lot of good recipes and techniques.

The spinach, feta, pine nut braid on that website looks yummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I love baking bread

There was a period of time in my life where I rarely ate store bought bread. Alas having kids has cut into bread baking time, but occasionally we still do it and sometimes it is a family project. My 8 y/o daughter particularly enjoys it, especially making homemade cinnamon rolls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No Knead Bread

Every baking thread that discuss bread and looking for way a quicker way needs a reference to the NYT article by Mark Bittman that kicked off the 'No Knead Bread' craze.

For the last thinking on this just do a search at the Chowhound home cooking board.

When I say craze, I really mean it. Just look at what the flicker search returns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once tried to make Julia Child's baguette recipe... took forever, tasted right, but the texture wasn't there. I figured it'll be something to perfect when I retire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" at home. Recipes rawk but most of the stuff in there is on a 2 day ferment and I don't have that kind of time most of the time.

I'm pretty sure that Hertzberg was one of Reinhart's students, looks like a great book Curt.

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does the group think about the pizza stone?

should i buy a cheap one, and just give it a go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    what does the group think about the pizza stone?

should i buy a cheap one, and just give it a go?
    Pizza stone is a must.

Jimi-
    This frame builder is a bread machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure that your pizza stone is big. We have one that is OK, but kinda small - good item to find at a garage sale or goodwill store, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Every baking thread that discuss bread and looking for way a quicker way needs a reference to the NYT article by Mark Bittman that kicked off the 'No Knead Bread' craze.
    Bittman was late to the party, I think. The book below was written in 1999.

It's a very worthwhile purchase. Great ciabatta recipe, among other things.

On the subject of pizza stones, I'm very much in favor of them. But I really want to build a wood-fired brick oven in my backyard. I have books, plans, and a spot picked out, but just can't seem to find the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Knead Bread?
    Kneading dough is my only upper body workout.
    How else can you get the texture right,
    and work out some tension, too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got an awesome no knead recipe--I bake it in a dutch oven. I'll go find it and post it.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been baking bread for years. My main loaf is a 'chef/levain' method sourdough. Save a lump of dough, let it age a day, mix a new batch, age 24 hours, knead/save, start over. I get a loaf every other day to eat and share. There are many on my cycle of loaves. Sometimes someone will bring me 5 lbs of flour as an offset.

I grew up eating home made bread as did my mother. It is really the only kind that can rightfully be called bread atmo. Mine is much different from that I was raised on, but the spirit of my mennonite grandmother is still there. I highly recommend baking.

As for a book, I really like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Builders.../dp/1890132055

http://www.amazon.com/Village-Baker-.../dp/0898159164

http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Silverto...9230259&sr=1-1

Each is different in approach, but yield great breads. My own is closest to the Ortiz french country loaf. I use a mix of flours to get just the right 'tooth".

Oh....a stone is a must, unless you have a wood fired oven.

Happy baking.

Jay
    Es Todos Rhetoricos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Pizza stone is a must.

Jimi-
    This frame builder is a bread machine.
    You can do fine with a pan too. If you roll out the dough with flour it won't stick and it tastes like it came from the pizzaria. I make some killer pizza without a stone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bread

I've been making pretty much all the bread my family eats for the last 6 years. My daughters (age 6 and 3) know pretty much nothing else, and actually prefer my bread (which they call "Daddy's Best Bread") to what we occasionally get from the store. My standby recipe uses pre-cooked oatmeal (not the 'quick' kind, steel cut is best) as the liquid for the dough. I've also just started using the "10 Grain Hot Cereal" from Bob's Red Mill - it works too, and adds a bit of extra flavor over plain oats. Rolled rye works as well. I can supply an approximate recipe if anyone is interested.

I've taken to using a stand mixer for kneading over the last year. I find it allows me to work with much slacker dough than I could ever manage by hand which seems to provide a much better final texture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread motivated me to bake some no-knead bread this weekend. According to the Sig-O, "The.best.bread.ever". It really is good. I used the 'no-knead 2.0' recipe from Cook's Illustrated.

FYI, for people who like a quasi-scientific approach to how recipes are designed, Cook's Illustrated is a great resource. They don't take any advertising $, so their product reviews are as good as it gets IMO. (In reference to another thread, they have a great 'best buy' for dutch ovens that did about as well as the Le Creuset but cost a fraction of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I've got an awesome no knead recipe--I bake it in a dutch oven. I'll go find it and post it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pizza stones are great but we have taken to use a 18" ceramic tile left over from a recent project . Cost? $2, Cdn of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I've got "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" at home. Recipes rawk but most of the stuff in there is on a 2 day ferment and I don't have that kind of time most of the time.

I'm pretty sure that Hertzberg was one of Reinhart's students, looks like a great book Curt.
    back when i was eating wheat and baking, i used this book and it rocked. i never found making bread to be all that time consuming. maybe i am a chronic multi-tasker but its not like you have to be there for 5 or 25 hrs watching the dough rise. i would get the dough together and pop it into the fride, 10-15 mins. take out in the am for a warm up 5 mins. come back later for a knock down and shaping, 5 mins. check on it from time to time, 5 mins, and toss it in the oven 5 mins. maybe 30 mins total and that is generous. i would even run errands between steps if desired....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast