Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way OT: Life with an Epi Pen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Way OT: Life with an Epi Pen

Pretty much all of the pertinents have been mentioned, but as someone who both carries an Epi pen (for a shellfish allergy, so I tend to be pretty lazy about it) and who is a paramedic, I'd like to reiterate the importance of carrying benadryl and taking the two in conjunction with one another. In the states that I've been certified in (PA, NY, and Nationally), the standard of care is to deliver both drugs to the patient. Epinephrine is very fast acting, but also has a short half-life in the body so the effects wear off rather quickly (think 10-15 minutes); benadryl works a bit slower, but lasts far longer. My rule of thumb is that if I think I've had a reaction, I'll take a benadryl (or two) and wait to see if the reaction progresses, but if I know that I'm having an anaphylactic reaction (a situation I've thankfully never been in) I'll hit myself with both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have an EpiPen prescription and in case you haven't been notified, there's a recall going on right now so check your pens on this website and see if your pens are involved. My wife has been refilling my old pens with some homemade concoction...I'm getting a little suspicious.

http://www.mylan.com/en/epipenrecall
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

duplicate.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping the work-up shows this is isolated to one type of nut, particularly since he's been eating other nuts (walnuts, peanut butter) for almost 7 years. Easier to isolate from one type than then entire constellation of nuts.

Keep the ideas coming.
    Peanuts are legumes, unrelated to nuts. It's possible to be allergic to tree nuts but NOT peanuts.
    Evan Marks

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prcrstn8 View Post
    Peanuts are legumes, unrelated to nuts. It's possible to be allergic to tree nuts but NOT peanuts.
    True, but many are allergic to both. My son is one of the many with a severe peanut allergy and slightly less severe tree nut allergy.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received this notice from Mylan today informing me that I could add 4 months to the life of my EpiPens. I always check my expiration dates as it’s the height of bee season for me, so the notice did pique my interest. The little buzzers have been kind to me this year so far, with only streaks of pollen left behind when they’ve bumped into me on my rides.

https://s1825014871.t.en25.com/e/es?...d=1282&elqat=1
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digging up an old tread.
    It happened to me this year. Was never allergic to wasp or hornets before. Was stung last year.
    Was riding in PA. Lackawana state park and we stopped for lunch. I was stung on the wrist by a yellow jacket. About 3 minutes later I went unconscious. 30 mins for emt to come and 30 minutes to the hospital. EMT thought I was ODing or heart attach (I dont do drugs) but I guess that is what they are used to with an unconscious adult.
    I dont remember anything for about 4 hours. Good thing I had 2 people with me. One came in the ambulance and the other dealt with getting the car and dealing with the bikes. Was super scary. Now I have to carry an epipen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    It happened to me this year. Was never allergic to wasp or hornets before. Was stung last year.
    Was riding in PA. Lackawana state park and we stopped for lunch. I was stung on the wrist by a yellow jacket. About 3 minutes later I went unconscious.
    Glad you're OK, and good luck going forward.

I wonder how often people suddenly develop a massive life-threatening allergy, after never having had it before?

That is a bit scary for those of us who spend a lot of time outside either solo or in remote places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sikocycles' story is all too familiar. One day no pen, then one severe reaction later, you don't leave home without one. Carry some Benadryl too.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah tell me about. Never had an issue before and did not even think about any issue until I felt bad and said I said I need to sit and that’s all I remember until hours after.
    2 weeks before we were riding so deep in the woods there would of been no way they would of got me out. As many time. I am getting a PLB just in case there is no cell service. I was very lucky to be close to a road and have 2 people with me.
    I do carry 2 epipens and Benadryl always.
    Funny thing is that when I came into consciousness I asked if my bike was ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post

I wonder how often people suddenly develop a massive life-threatening allergy, after never having had it before?

That is a bit scary for those of us who spend a lot of time outside either solo or in remote places.
    Not uncommon! Some things cause more reactions as you get more exposed. The allergic reaction to urushiol is the classic example of repeated exposure making it worse.

I was surprised the last time I re-upped my WFR that they are not training IM epi shots anymore. Guess if you have a doc that will write you a protocol they can do the training. Also with the “watch a video, get a pen” program I guess strict protocols aren’t needed. As much as I hate the lobby behind it, that’s why all schools in California now have epi in the office (along with glucagon and diastat... pitty for the soul who gets to administer the diastat). Frequently people just don’t know, or their condition changes. I will say that 3min ok to out is pretty extreme. Many folks will have some warning, tingly lips, localized visual swelling, or other things that tell them something is about to be very wrong.

If you are worried, or you are in a position to maybe need to care for others, you can probably do the “watch the video, get the script” thing and carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Frequently people just don’t know, or their condition changes. I will say that 3min ok to out is pretty extreme. Many folks will have some warning, tingly lips, localized visual swelling, or other things that tell them something is about to be very wrong.

If you are worried, or you are in a position to maybe need to care for others, you can probably do the “watch the video, get the script” thing and carry.
    I know, the only warning I had was that I did not feel good and then sat down and was out. My friends were freaked out how fast it happened. When I got stung I thought no big deal I will just move and did.
    This is why the paramedics did not think it was from the sting. I had no other symptoms. No swelling, hives or anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12