Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wok recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wok recommendations?

So My girlfriend ( Stir-fry-Cindy) makes killer veggie stir fry which I love. Sadly her wok is a POS and is covered with peeling Teflon. I really want to get her a new, heavy, carbon steel wok- maybe hand hammered if I can find a real one (not cast iron). I don't want a flat bottom wok or a flimsy one from Target etc. - something a real Chinese chef would use. Can someone recommend a good place to get one? Chinese kitchen supply store? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wok recommendations?

The Wok Shop in SF is worth looking into. I've browsed the physical store and they have a mind-boggling array of stuff for extremely reasonable prices. Can't say I've used more than a few incidentals like bamboo mats, etc. Oh, and my favorite SS strainer came from there.

WOKSHOP.COM: Selling woks and Asian kitchenware for over 40 years

I've never been convinced my biggest gas ring gets hot enough to make good use of a wok.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was about to suggest the Wok Shop. They're a treasure. There's another store here that would have good ones but they're storefront only as far as I know.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh cool, I think my GF stumbled in there when in SF a few months ago but couldn't really bring anything home. Awesome, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bodum Chambord cast iron/enamel wok. This is not a typical cheap thin steel asian wok. Instead, it's a Vsalon wok- ie, spend much more on it than you need to but it's unique and totally awesome. I've had one for a decade where it sees use several times a week. It's quite heavy and holds and distributes heat really well- necessary for wok cooking on a non-commercial stove that's anemic compared to the jet flames in a restaurant kitchen. You won't be able to pick this up with one hand if you're a typical cycle weenie.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Edit, just saw "no cast iron" I don't know, I like cast iron for high heat cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, she loves cast iron everything but I'm not sure she could lift it!! Our glass top stove gets pretty effin hot.. I bet that woks super-awesome...hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chinatown?

Ours came from some dingy hole in the wall in Vancouver's Chinatown about 25 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Chinatown?

Ours came from some dingy hole in the wall in Vancouver's Chinatown about 25 years ago.
    There isn't one in Portland any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joyce Chen (Mine is a 14" round bottom cast iron)
    Carbon steel and cast iron available
    Plastic or wood handles
    Round or flat bottom

I've had one in use almost daily for years.
    Just starting to get that perfect patina outside, and the inside is practically new!
    Kevin Cowham

(Say Cow-um)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    I've never been convinced my biggest gas ring gets hot enough to make good use of a wok.
    Wok burners are like jet engines putting out 40k btu and up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go hit Fubonn on SE 82nd between Powell and Division. Stop in at Ocean City for dim sum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took this video when I was in Shanghai last month. His Wok skills are pretty amazing. I ate from him every other day (more or less) for almost a month. He got a bit of stage fright when I took the video because it was the first time I saw him spill something from the wok. I pretty sure that he would say: get something cast iron, something with a handle, and something that you can toss with one hand. No fancy stuff. And propane burners that are indeed jet engines. The woks that I saw in China were ALL cast iron.

If I could speak Shanghainese, this guy has a story. It is unusual for a middle aged guy to have ink. The fact that he has a big one on his chest likely says that at some point in his life he was a badass. I'm hoping that he changed for the love of a good woman. She's off-screen and is in charge of taking the money.

If you are ever in Shanghai, Hefei Lu is a great place to eat if you are comfortable eating on the sidewalk or in hole-in-the wall places. The noodles I buy cost 8 RMB (slightly more that 1 USD)

Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and buy a bamboo scrubber. They add water to a wok that has been cooked in and then use the bamboo to clean it, tossing the water when it boils. No soap at all.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually prefer a thin carbon steel wok. It reacts to the cooking flame (heats up, cools down) much more quickly than a heavy wok.
    T.o.m. K.o.h.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a Le Creuset Cast Iron Wok for a few years. This is one of the jobs with no enamel on the outside it's all business. I'm ready to love it or hate it. The bugger is way way way too heavy to move and that single fact destroys me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought my last at the Asian market, high carbon steel, cheap and light, plus had a fantastic bowl of Pho while I was there.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at the New York house, where all I have is an 11" saute. It works, but it's not nearly as good as the cheapo Asian market wok we have at home.

Veg, black rice noodles, and pork shoulder through a scratched up iPhone lens for solo dinner tonight:

I've got my eye on this thread - hemming and hawing between the Wok shop hammered pow and a De Buyer. There's just no substitute for a wok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your GF is accustomed to using a Teflon coated pan, then she may find a traditional wok to be a pain to care for, with the seasoning and washing 'ritual', without which the food will always taste / smell funny. I switched to All-Clad's 'Open Stir Fry' over 20 years ago and never looked back at a 'real' wok, not that a real one is much to look at. I'm not sure if they still come with a lid these days, but it is very useful to have one. All-Clad pieces are nice to look at, perform very well and last forever. No doubt they cost a pretty penny, but I don't think you or your GF will ever regret it.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that wokshop site is cool, so tempted to get something like this. cheap, thin and flippable.
    The Wok Shop's carbon steel hand hammered 'pow' wok

i imagine care would be just like the carbon steel de buyer skillet i use, i just rinse/scrub it out with hot water and then reheat to dry it.
    if it gets dull looking i'll rub a very light coat of oil in it, heat, then wipe it out again...

i'm tempted to order a wok, so cheap...if i do i'll probably get one of those DEBA knives too and some fancy chopsticks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full disclosure. Now that I have a gas range I ordered THAT wok and it arrived this morning. Cleaning and breaking it in today. Looks 110% legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    that wokshop site is cool, so tempted to get something like this. cheap, thin and flippable.
    The Wok Shop's carbon steel hand hammered 'pow' wok

i imagine care would be just like the carbon steel de buyer skillet i use, i just rinse/scrub it out with hot water and then reheat to dry it.
    if it gets dull looking i'll rub a very light coat of oil in it, heat, then wipe it out again...

i'm tempted to order a wok, so cheap...if i do i'll probably get one of those DEBA knives too and some fancy chopsticks...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast