Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whole Hog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whole Hog

This thread could go a number of ways. I've never cooked a hog and was thinking I'd give burying it in the ground a shot rather than rent a hog cooker.

Here is a starter YouTube to kick this off. *Note there are a couple videos that will play. First are the good old boys who most definitely know what they are doing...than the white collar cr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whole Hog

I have nothing to add on how to do this, but I will tell you that there are few things as tasty as a pig roasted in a hole in the ground. With all the years I've spent in Miami I've had countless opportunities to partake as this is pretty common for the holidays or big occasions. Delicious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing in the ground is not a solo endeavor. It's a gathering. Both the cooking and the eating. You have my number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and save the ears for the guest of honor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- been decades.., both back on the hoosier farms & in the paddies of rice..
    enjoyed the farm way.., no "lead flys..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oldest at the roast gets to kiss old Porky on the snout before the carving takes place. The youngest gets to pull a sprig of parsley from Porky's stern...hands behind the back of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done whole hogs and Lamb before but lately I'll do fresh skin on Hams and call it good. Much easier to work with, not as impressive but still good eats.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does "hog" imply a certain size of animal? My next door neighbors did a whole young pig a few years ago. It was really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nrs5000 View Post
    Does "hog" imply a certain size of animal? My next door neighbors did a whole young pig a few years ago. It was really good.
    Yep, I'm going to order a small pig. As it is we'll invite about 20 people for the results and Jon you are welcome anytime hog or not. Target date is Halloween which falls on a Saturday.

No lead flys in this one Ronnie...unless J.Greene caps a local boar with his sidearm ;)

I've got a pit plan and working on a nice heavy piece of steel for the cover. This is moving along nicely.

Ronnie, I watched a video of how Vietnamese roast a small pig using a vertical hole hanging the pig by a wire and pole. The fire pit is dug horizontally to meet the vertical hole and feed with dry bamboo. It is freaking brilliant and the pig is roasted crisp in just a few hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I helped someone do a whole hog on one of those trailer drawn rental things. It took all night and the next morning. It tasted just OK. I don't think I'd do this again.

While I'm all in for DIY, there is another way. Find a Chinatown place, the ones with the pig, duck and BBQ hanging in the windows. Most will do "custom" work. 20lbs is a suckling pig, yep pulled from its momma's breast and all that. Give them a few days notice and you'll get get great meat, crispy skin all nicely laid out. I've done this a lot. Suckling pig is like roast turkey to the Chinese crowd. I'll spend my time trying to perfect my brisket.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summilox, I'm a process kind of guy embracing cultural methods for food prep gives me a rush.

Just to complicate this party in the making my pals Costa Rican wife wants to slaughter a fresh chicken, clean and cook it that day too. Oh dear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I posted before in another thread about this. We did a pig roast about 4 years ago where we did one pig (100lbs dressed out) in the ground, another one the same size on a spit, and a lamb on spit #2.

All three came out great, but the one in the ground was the most unique and probably best overall. I had a guy with an excavator come over and dig a shallow grave, and line it with some rocks from an old stone wall. Picked up the pigs a couple of days before, and brined them in brand new trash cans that I'd cleaned and disinfected. On the day before we wanted to eat, I started a fire at about 7 in the morning, and put probably 1/2 cord of wood on the thing over the course of the day. Just a massive amount of coals.

We stuffed the thing with apples and some bourbon splashed around, and stitched it up with a chain running through the middle of it (to pull it out when cooking was done.)

Wrapped it first in a layer of cloth (I used a new drop cloth that I'd laundered with a bit of vinegar to clean and rinse any sizing out of it) soaked in apple cider & bourbon. Then bound it up with some chicken mesh, which I'd pre-burned to get rid of the galvanized nastiness.

At the appointed time, we carted the whole thing down to the pit. I soaked two flattened bike boxes with water. In rapid succession, laid the first wet box on the coals, placed the pig on the box, put the second box over the pig, put down another wet cloth tarp, then a heavy canvas tarp. Got every able-bodied man, woman & child on shovel duty, and put about a foot+ of dirt back on top. This was at about 8:30pm.

Next day at about 4:00, the ground was steaming, you could get a faint whiff of pig, and it was time. We went at it archaeological dig-style; start with big tools, and work down to smaller ones as we got to the pig. Crazy hot process.

Cut the remaining top tarps away, and got folks on either end of the chain to suspended-carry the bound pig package up the hill to the table and assembled throng.

Clipped the chicken mesh with snips, then cut along the pig through the 1st layer of canvas. When we got to cutting the skin, the ribs literally clicked from standing to laying down like dominoes, as all the connective tissue had dissolved into the meat. Click-click-click-click.

The result was incredibly juicy, flavorful meat that was already off the bone. The apples had turned into applesauce with a hint of bourbon (could have used more sugar there) and the whole things just had this mellow, smoky flavor.

Only downside was that the skin wasn't crisped with this method, but in this case the quality of the cooked meat made up for it. I was just worried that the thing would burn to a crisp in the hole, hence the moist wrapping, etc.

Pics are on my other computer but I'll try and put some up.

I built two spits for the day, using gear reduction motors, pillow block bearings and stainless pipe. Also used pipe roller stands to allow the spit to spin. Since then, we actually poured a concrete pig pit with a 2-spit capacity, but have not christened it with a roast yet...hopefully this coming Columbus Day.

I fucking love this stuff. I'll post some pics of the spit assembly as well.
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John thats fantastic. Would love to be part of the process. Agreed, this stuff is a blast.
    The pig skin is a big deal for some thus the attraction of renting a chinese box. I am more interested in well rendered meat and the funky process of burying dinner.

This is how I was going to BBQ the pig and it's still in the running:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-19-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it safe to assume you will photo document the process in detail?

The hole in the ground thing seems to be more work than I would take on but I would love to watch others go through the process.

The cinder block cooker seems more along my lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    John thats fantastic. Would love to be part of the process. Agreed, this stuff is a blast.
    The pig skin is a big deal for some thus the attraction of renting a chinese box. I am more interested in well rendered meat and the funky process of burying dinner.

This is how I was going to BBQ the pig and it's still in the running:
    This cinder block method is the norm in my neck if the woods....plus a 55 gallon drum burn barrel, with rebar placed about a foot from the bottom of the bottom to form a grate, and a hole cut into the bottom to allow a flat bottom shovel to be used shovel out coals from this burn barrel.

I see quite a few "pit cooked" joints in the country that still use open dirt pits, with corrugated metal topper, stoked with oak coals. Most open Friday & Saturday only, & serve fried pig skins along with pulled pork.
    image.jpg
    Scott's isn't too far from home...it is as authentic as it gets.
    Jon Stone. Raconteur, Bon Vivant, Wabibito.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics? Of course.
    Jon, if you find a pic of that rig pls. Post it.

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Is it safe to assume you will photo document the process in detail?

The hole in the ground thing seems to be more work than I would take on but I would love to watch others go through the process.

The cinder block cooker seems more along my lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That picture even smells good!

Good on you for doing the chicken slaughter thing. My wife brought the family to a "learn to kill chicken" day at an organic farm in Maine one year. It was a definite eye opener. It's a fair bit of work to pluck a chicken.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics? Of course.
    Jon, if you find a pic of that rig pls. Post it.
    I found these photos online; they are just what I see around many back yards.
    I nene r seem to take pictures....I've got my priorities right, plus I'm usually up to my elbows in porky goodness.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You rule all. NOW i get it. That is brilliant. Makes the business of setup/take down much simpler for a one time thing.
    Note to self - don't recycle empty NFS 55 gallon drums. Clean them and make a firebox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You rule all. NOW i get it. That is brilliant. Makes the business of setup/take down much simpler for a one time thing.
    Note to self - don't recycle empty NFS 55 gallon drums. Clean them and make a firebox.
    If you're going all in, pour a slab that extends several feet around the perimeter of the pit. That way won't risk dropping hot embers in your lawn....& you may as well build a small pole barn roof over the whole enchilada...you'll thank me down the road when it starts to rain/snow/or you just want shade.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast