Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Whole Hog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whole Hog

The vet we use has a massive pot bellied pig that lives on her property. He roams around freely. Mgawd are those cloth seats 'cuase I would not let them on leather seats due to moral implications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A truly auspicious beginning. This year's model is the cleanest looking pig to date. The pig weighs in at almost 60 lbs dressed. I've split the backbone with a very sharp gransfor bruks wildlife hatchet, why mess around eh? Splitting the backbone allows the pig to lay as flat as possible. This increases exposure to radiant heat/steam and reduces cook time. Cooking goals: cooking vessel temp 225 to 250F, butt temp (close to the bone) 195 and total cook time est. 5 hrs. with the final 20 mins we will open the box for the first time and flip the pig, score the fat and return to cooking in order to crisp the skin.

I'm very excited for Sunday.

My butcher had him in the cooler already thawed. Once I got him home I found that the butt was at 35F. I've got the pig covered with 45 lbs of ice and will give it 15 hrs. to stabilize than start a gentle warm up. The goal will be to have him at 65F when I light the fire. I'll do my best to document the process but really after I've had a glass of Rye and have my nose buried in Steinbeck who knows?

For this year I'm going to season the cavity heavily with salt, black pepper and will lay several huge mounds of fresh rosemary in the corners of the La Caja China box. My hope is that the large amount of steam produced will cause the rosemary to add flavor to the meat. It's all a theory kinda sorta not really, I got this ;)

wh1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 16 hrs. resting with ice bags ontop the butt temp is 38F. That's perfect, a nice slow warm up until I begin the cook at 11 am (ish) tomorrow.

Just because I've watched some past party goers dip into the hog juice that gathers in the La caja china I'll wrap the rosemary in cheese cloth.

After two weeks the Rice Wine Vinegar infused with jalapenos, garlic and oregano is off the hook. There might be a scrum for this item.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. Enjoy!
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI TT cold meat attracts smoke and builds bark better than warm meat. Basically the cold surface allows some condensation to form, and moisture helps with smoke absorption and building bark. It does result in a longer cook time though.

Can't wait to see finished pics!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DG couple things. It's 60 LBS of pig and each butt has massive thermal mass sooooo if that rascal is not close to room temp the entire cook will take alot longer. This cook took 6 hrs. which is 1.5 hrs. longer than the first time primarily due to internal temp of 45 when I started. It was the best I could do BUT to your point because the meat was cold and I did a slow cook AND the box was well sealed it was the MOST moist pork I've ever had. The hog was so moist that we had trouble crisping the skin after the flip.

Great party, wonderful friends and the hog was outtasight. Fall apart meat that was served with various beans, slaws, salads, mac-n-cheese that guests brought. We also drank the place dry!

Yes of course I made Cuban Black Beans and rice.

The cooking apparatus is all cleaned up ready for the next party. Hey! Wouldn't it be cool to have a Ballers reunion and roast a whole hog? Hmmmm

h2.jpg

hh1.jpg

hh3.jpg

hh4.jpg

hh5.jpg

hh6.jpg

hh7.jpg

hh8.jpg

bb2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's making me hungry... and I just finished lunch.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few more pictures.

h14.jpg

HH11.jpg

hh12.jpg

hh13.jpg

hh16.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are one month out from Porcine Party #5. The hog is on order and I'm stoked. Now that I've settled into a groove it's time to up the ante.

Sauces? I think so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a sweet sauce once that used cherry coke as an ingredient. In the world of sweet sauces it was dang good!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pit Master Ed Mitchel gives some tips...Ed was featured in an episode of Michael Pollan's "Cooked" series. Ed likes the vinegar based sauce. I included a link to the NC BBQ Trail legends video too, I thought that it was a very interesting behind the scenes description of the process.

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBQ sauce, much like BBQ in general, has so much variety. I don't really like vinegar based sauces. I'm not a huge fan of mustard-based sauces either...but, Fresh Market has this Tangy Mustard BBQ sauce and it's freakin' amazing. Awesome on pulled pork or chicken wings!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info. boys.

Video from a few years back. The tricky part is crisping the skin. After the butt reaches temp. you will flip the pig and return the heat. Too much heat and the skin will burn, not enough it will be tough.
    https://flic.kr/p/2cf1zdZ

Flickr
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-20-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

looking at the pictures, is heat only on top and indirect? it seems inefficient but the results and speed are good, thoughts on the box?

have you tried turkey or anything else in there. seems like if it works great for a hog it could work great for something else ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    looking at the pictures, is heat only on top and indirect? it seems inefficient but the results and speed are good, thoughts on the box?

have you tried turkey or anything else in there. seems like if it works great for a hog it could work great for something else ...
    It is not terribly efficient but seems to do the deed. Cooking a 60 lbs pig in 6.5 hrs. is unimaginable using any other method. The box is decent quality, this is out 5th cook and nothing is falling apart. I'm keen to add a copper seal to keep the steam inside and perhaps add insulation if only because these cooks are happening in cool weather.

For sure!!! I think I could probably cook 8 20lbs+ turkeys at once. This thing is massive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT...here's a setup for you...spotted at Patagōn Restaurant in Seattle. All day pit roasted porky with cured meat to boot Argentine style. The chef told me that he'd roast the side for 7-8 hours over applewood. Note the pans catching the drippings and that big hunk of sourdough.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief that's clever. Also, it is a clear case of bringing a gun to a knife fight. The customers will have no choice after smelling that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456