Thread: Whole Hog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whole Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Jstone View Post
    If you're going all in, pour a slab that extends several feet around the perimeter of the pit. That way won't risk dropping hot embers in your lawn....& you may as well build a small pole barn roof over the whole enchilada...you'll thank me down the road when it starts to rain/snow/or you just want shade.
    Geeze man if I build that than the whole neighborhood will come. Oh wait that is the point isn't it? This is going to be a one time shot. If it works amazing I'll think more about how to work this into the master plan. We only have 1/4 acre which for the city is alot and not so for the country.

Tell me if I'm wrong on this. I use the firebox/barrel to make coals and shovel them into one end of the pit.
    I've got a large pin oak and a black locust coming down and cut into firewood in a couple weeks. I know the oak is perfect what say the crowd for Black Locust? The Locust has a high BTU quality but not sure about smoke / flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Too Tall;717201]Geeze man if I build that than the whole neighborhood will come. Oh wait that is the point isn't it? This is going to be a one time shot. If it works amazing I'll think more about how to work this into the master plan. We only have 1/4 acre which for the city is alot and not so for the country.

Too Tall, the aroma is sure bring all the neighbors, so brace yourself for the onslaught ! I've got no idea on the black locust.
    Jon Stone. Raconteur, Bon Vivant, Wabibito.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey John you got a sister? Good grief man that really is outta sight. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots, schedule a trip out here around the summer solstice or thanksgiving. I can get you into an imu helping gig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Toots, schedule a trip out here around the summer solstice or thanksgiving. I can get you into an imu helping gig.
    Holy #%*$& that would be neat. On my radar.

Well, this is beginning to look like a party. Word is trickling out and hands going up for some pig.

If any of you stellar cats in my region (MD, Va, PA) have a source you have used for a small hog pls. share.

Buried pig is still leading the competition for most foolproof method....the fool being me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Columbus. I have a source of local farm raised pig. The pigs at RestaurantDepo on the other hand come from swine factories in Missouri leaking rivers of pigsh*t for mile after mile. Invite me to the party and I will bring you a pig I also have a LaCajaChina. It works well on smaller pigs, up to 60 lbs or so, but it's a whole different style of roast hog than you get with a pit; crisp skin is the high point, but the meat lacks the smoke and shreddable character of slow pit-cooked porker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FSonicSmith View Post
    I'm in Columbus. I have a source of local farm raised pig. The pigs at RestaurantDepo on the other hand come from swine factories in Missouri leaking rivers of pigsh*t for mile after mile. Invite me to the party and I will bring you a pig I also have a LaCajaChina. It works well on smaller pigs, up to 60 lbs or so, but it's a whole different style of roast hog than you get with a pit; crisp skin is the high point, but the meat lacks the smoke and shreddable character of slow pit-cooked porker.
    Jinx. I just ordered a 24x24x48" LaCajaChina. Mrs. TT is not happy with the prospect of a torn up yard. Using the China box means I can do the entire cook infront of guests in less than 4 hrs.
    We were going to shoot for 60 lbs.'ish. Hoping for a Berkshire 1/2 hog or is that really not necessary considering my method?
    Man you are too kind but let's see if I can source something good locally and save you the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jinx. I just ordered a 24x24x48" LaCajaChina. Mrs. TT is not happy with the prospect of a torn up yard. Using the China box means I can do the entire cook infront of guests in less than 4 hrs.
    We were going to shoot for 60 lbs.'ish. Hoping for a Berkshire 1/2 hog or is that really not necessary considering my method?
    Man you are too kind but let's see if I can source something good locally and save you the mileage.

Try these three:

Bucher Meats, Biglerville PA (right outside Gettysburg): http://www.manta.com/c/mmzz7mw/bucher-meats - basically a farm with a butcher shop attached. Rough around the edges but popular with the locals.
    Wayne Nell & Sons Meats (East Berlin PA, about 30 min north of G'burg): Home - higher volume than Bucher but still small fries.
    Wil-Ar farms (Shippensburg PA) - near Carlisle. Mennonite farm, we get our turkey there. Not sure if they have what you seek but they'll know who does.

If you strike out I know a few farmers around here who raise pigs and may have what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homerun. Thank you sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Try these three:

Bucher Meats, Biglerville PA (right outside Gettysburg): http://www.manta.com/c/mmzz7mw/bucher-meats - basically a farm with a butcher shop attached. Rough around the edges but popular with the locals.
    Wayne Nell & Sons Meats (East Berlin PA, about 30 min north of G'burg): Home - higher volume than Bucher but still small fries.
    Wil-Ar farms (Shippensburg PA) - near Carlisle. Mennonite farm, we get our turkey there. Not sure if they have what you seek but they'll know who does.

If you strike out I know a few farmers around here who raise pigs and may have what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0947.jpg

This thread really hurts me this close to football season beginning.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't believe i forgot this guy. he's got Berkshires and is one cool dude.

Home

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    can't believe i forgot this guy. he's got Berkshires and is one cool dude.

Home
    Sweet. That looks great, email sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh; glad to hear you bought the box-it is still a great toy to have and a great value assuming you will use it and/or lend it to friends. Just be aware that there is a learning curve. For starters, you have to get a feel for where the pig is in the cooking process since the heat is too intense to use a remote probe. Picking up the top galvanized sheet metal and grate takes some practice-not because it is difficult but plan ahead where you are going to place it while flipping the pig in order to keep Mrs. TT happy vis a vis the lawn. Since it is not a smoker (yes, the folks at LCC tried to improvise a smoking device but I would not bother), you want to marinade and inject. The traditional Miami/Cuban recipe that comes with the box is excellent. If anything, the presentation of the finished pig is better with the roasting box than most competition level cooks can ever get with a smoker-done right the skin comes out with an incredibly deep mahongany color and incredibly crisp-cracklings crisp-exterior. This is of course due to the incredibly intense heat. Most important tip I can give you-LET THE PIG REACH ROOM TEMP-or damned close before starting. Take Mr. Piggie off the ice a good ten hours before cooking. Don't worry about spoilage-it will be fine-just kept in the shade of say, your garage but off the ice. If you start with a cold pig, you won't get the same moist tender meat even if the exterior comes out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a Prince.
    Sounds like I will need to setup 4 cinder blocks for resting the charcoal/grate.
    I was thinking I'd buy an inexpensive ABS plastic folding table and Poly cutting boards for service. Cuttingboards.net - 1/2" White Poly Cutting Board - A Cut Above the Rest!
    OK, time to get on the horn with a farmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSonicSmith View Post
    Josh; glad to hear you bought the box-it is still a great toy to have and a great value assuming you will use it and/or lend it to friends. Just be aware that there is a learning curve. For starters, you have to get a feel for where the pig is in the cooking process since the heat is too intense to use a remote probe. Picking up the top galvanized sheet metal and grate takes some practice-not because it is difficult but plan ahead where you are going to place it while flipping the pig in order to keep Mrs. TT happy vis a vis the lawn. Since it is not a smoker (yes, the folks at LCC tried to improvise a smoking device but I would not bother), you want to marinade and inject. The traditional Miami/Cuban recipe that comes with the box is excellent. If anything, the presentation of the finished pig is better with the roasting box than most competition level cooks can ever get with a smoker-done right the skin comes out with an incredibly deep mahongany color and incredibly crisp-cracklings crisp-exterior. This is of course due to the incredibly intense heat. Most important tip I can give you-LET THE PIG REACH ROOM TEMP-or damned close before starting. Take Mr. Piggie off the ice a good ten hours before cooking. Don't worry about spoilage-it will be fine-just kept in the shade of say, your garage but off the ice. If you start with a cold pig, you won't get the same moist tender meat even if the exterior comes out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lechon is always good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Mr. FSonicSmith. Pig is in the wind. Talked to my farmer today and we are set. A 70-75lb (live weight) Berkshire for pick up 48 hrs. before the roasting. By than my garage should be cool, so a perfect place to rest. I'll setup the bed of my 51' pickup (had to get that in there) for prep. / injecting with the Cuban goodness.

Here is the Mojo injection recipe I'm using:

Mojo Marinade/Injection
    30 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced, mashed into a paste with mortar & pestle
    1 Cup orange juice
    1/4 Cup lime juice
    1/4 Cup lemon juice
    1/4 Cup olive oil
    1 Tbsp Mexican oregano, dried
    1 Tbsp ground black pepper
    2 Tsp kosher salt
    2 Tsp ground cumin
    1 Tsp orange zest
    1 Tsp lime zest

The cooking process seems pretty straightforward. No way to do a dry run so I'm all in on Oct. 31.

FOR THE RECORD here are instructions for roasting a 50 to 70 lbs hog in la caja china:

Ingredients

1 (45- to 50-pound) dressed pig, backbone split lengthwise (have your butcher do this)
    2 recipes Cuban Mojo, prepared separately
    1/3 cup Adobo Criollo
    1 large onion, chopped, for serving (optional)

Directions

Place pig skin side down on a large work surface. Strain one recipe of the mojo into a bowl, reserving solids. Transfer liquid to a large syringe and inject the mojo into the meat of the pig every 3 to 4 inches, taking care not to push syringe down so far that it punctures the skin on the underside of the meat. Sprinkle the interior and exterior of the pig with adobo criollo and rub all over; rub reserved solids from mojo over rib cage. Cover and let marinate, chilled, overnight.

Bring pig to room temperature. Lock the pig into the wire rack of the Caja China by using the S-hooks. Place locked pig in the Caja China on top of the drip pan, skin side down. Insert a meat thermometer with a cable attachment into the thickest rear section of the pig.

Place ash pan and grid tray on top of the Caja China. Fill the bottoms of two large chimney starters with crumpled newspaper. Starting with16 pounds of charcoal briquettes (not instant), fill the tops of the chimney starters with some of the 16 pounds of charcoal. Place a chimney starter on each end of the grid tray; light the newspaper in each chimney starter. Flames will sweep up through the chimney, igniting charcoal. When charcoal is red-hot, after 15 to 20 minutes, dump out charcoal from starters and add remaining charcoal to total 16 pounds; spread evenly across grid tray. After 1 hour of cooking, evenly add 8 pounds charcoal. Repeat process every hour until pig reaches 185 to 187 degrees, about 3 1/2 hours.

When pig has reached 185 to 187 degrees, two people wearing protective gloves should raise the grid tray and carefully shake ashes off the coals and into ash pan. Carefully place the grid tray on the long handles. Two people should then lift the ash pan with ashes and safely dispose of them, adding water to ensure they do not cause a fire.

Using protective gloves, carefully turn pig skin side up and return to the Caja China. With a knife, carefully make cross cuts into skin between each grid of the rack, taking care not to cut into the meat. Return ash pan and grid tray with hot coals to the Caja China and cook, until skin is crisp, 30 to 45 minutes more.

Heat remaining recipe mojo and transfer to a serving bowl. Remove ash pan and grid tray from Caja China. Lift wire rack containing pig out of the Caja China. Detach S-hooks and remove top rack. Serve meat on rolls topped with warm mojo and chopped onions, if desired.

Link to a Caja China worksheet >>> http://www.lacajachina.com/whole-pig...eter_a/328.htm
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-10-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where are you getting the pig?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched a couple of the Videos and it looks amazing!

I would hope that you would try at some point without the mojo injection just to see how it comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds great. I trust you will post pics. Porky is a bit big. Instructions fail to advise you that you will need to take a Chinese meat cleaver and a mallet and crack the backbone all along the length of Sir Porky until he lays flat. Expect to need to take a hacksaw to the legs at each knee joint, so that he will fit in the box. Don't be surprised if it takes even more than 45 minutes on the last step to get the skin crackling crisp with a dark mahogany color and blistered edges.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast