Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: functional commuter wear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default functional commuter wear

it's officially official, just said "yes" to a job just off wall st, and i'm planning on cycle commuting to the train station here in NJ and walking down to lower manhatten. 6-mile one-way bike commute.

looking for favorites for commuter pants and outer wear that will get me to the train station and not look completely goofy walking into the office building, where i will change to business attire. pants/shorts are top priority at the moment - thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: functional commuter wear

roll un one of your pant legs. assuming they arent so skinny you cant do that, anything will work.

I ride in pretty much all of my clothes on my commute. the worst are jeans that don't stretch and are tight in the thighs when seated.

my bigger priority if I were bike commuting would be gear for when its not so nice out. i.e., fenders, jacket, shoes for the outside/office, etc.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fenders are a must, for garbage juice is a thing.
    Rapha Touring or Randonée shorts are worth a look.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giro makes some nice looking commuting stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    it's officially official, just said "yes" to a job just off wall st, and i'm planning on cycle commuting to the train station here in NJ and walking down to lower manhatten. 6-mile one-way bike commute.

looking for favorites for commuter pants and outer wear that will get me to the train station and not look completely goofy walking into the office building, where i will change to business attire. pants/shorts are top priority at the moment - thoughts?
    I commute 7.5mi each way, and ordinarily just wear my (business casual west of the Mississippi) office attire, a trouser band to keep my cuff off of the chain, and a pair of SPD shoes.

Assuming you don't need to wander around in a pencil skirt or a burnoose, just wear something reasonably non-restrictive that you'd like to wear off of the bike. Khakis and a button-down shirt? Jeans and a fringe vest? A-line skirt? Seriously, six miles on a properly-equipped bike (that'd be one with full fenders), done at an unhurried pace, doesn't require or even really encourage sports clothing.

Best,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear shorts and pants from Swrve, Outlier, and Mission Workshop. The stretchy fabrics feel sporty, but the designs pass for biz casual in my work situation. I favor dark colors and black.
    [FONT=Georgia]Jon Doyle
    Rock Hard Ride Free🤘🎸

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gauge the corporate culture there for currents in outside pursuits. If the boss sails you could do worse than be seen walking in with just a hint of nautical awareness. You might never know it made an impact but people in positions like that know a lot more about their people and their actions than the average employee would ever guess at.

The best pair of pants I've ever owned for bike riding were a pair of very lightweight Patagucci outside layer pants w/DWR, not a shell, for ultra light mountaineering. Most nylon stuff has a shelf life of weeks but these ticked along through years of abusive wear. They were cut for high stepping and had just enough stretch to look fine with layers under them or not. Someone always seems to be hitting this moving target of pants with great crossover potential but I can't honestly say I've knowledge of who that is right now. The hard part is they could be $800 couture or $20 sleepers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always just put on a pair of shorts from light materials over my regular lycra bike shorts for commuting or touring where modesty is a cultural norm. My favorites are these prAna Mojo Shorts - Men's - REI.com They work well on a bike. I commute in these full zip cross-country ski pants work whenever it's too cool for shorts, again over regular lycra shorts, they don't look like tights and they are still tight enough at the ankle so no problems with the chain/crank. http://www.amazon.com/Swix-22660-Men.../dp/B00605D772 They are also good warmup pants for cross races, full zip meants you can easily get them off over your shoes while you shiver on the start line. Finally, for winter, I have this awesome jacket from Novara/REI that really just looks like street wear, I actually wear it more off the bike than on, but it sheds water, cut for cycling, with the right pockets in the right places. Novara Dutchtown Bike Jacket - Men's - REI.com it's definitely winter wear though, with a long sleeve jersey or base layer underneath it will definitely be enough for 30*-40* temps for early morning commutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swrve shorts or 3/4, Shimano AM45 or Giro Grynder/Republic shoes, Pedaled or Rapha or Endura tops.
    Job done.

I don't like to look like I'm ready for a Cat1 TT while going to work. No lycra for commuting, thanks
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the Giro New Road shorts to be every bit as nice as the Rapha ones, at much lower prices and in nicer colors. The Giros also have a zipped pocket on the out seam that's placed perfectly for a phone or keys.

Those and a t-shirt will go a long way.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a number of pieces from ClubRide that work nicely for me for this purpose. Ditto for my wife.

People at work say "cool shirt, where'd you get it?" about the button-up New West shirt that I also wore for a 5h mtb ride last weekend.. (then laundered the hell out of it, of course).

CR knickers and pants also are good in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would second some of the above, namely, I love my Outlier pants and they definitely pass for work appropriate at my NYC office.

Can also attest to the quality on the swrv shorts but I don't wear mine to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hack the system.

Tri-blend t-shirts. They are 50% poly, 25% cotton and 25% rayon.
    Next Level 6010 Men's Tri-Blend Crew Tee | Amazon.com

I use these as my main mtb riding shirts. They dry quick yet have a cottony feel to them, also they don't feel clammy like 100% poly when wet or sweaty.

"Hybrid boardshorts"
    They are a 4way stretch material that ride really well but instead of being cut like a boardshort they have a proper waist/fly and pockets. Fast drying and light weight to them.

http://www.amazon.com/Volcom-Frickin...id+boardshorts

Fondle the fabrics used in the Giro and other lighter weight 4way stretch short...then fondle the stuff used in the hybrid short by the surf companies, feels and functions that same to what I can tell.

For the price of a single pair of cycling branded stuff you can get multiples in equivalent.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Swrve shorts or 3/4, Shimano AM45 or Giro Grynder/Republic shoes, Pedaled or Rapha or Endura tops.
    Job done.

I don't like to look like I'm ready for a Cat1 TT while going to work. No lycra for commuting, thanks
    Any thoughts on the Swerve shorts versus Rapha?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much prominence do you want your package having when someone takes you in? I've only heard good things about Rapha but you need to specify which short and if you are Minnesotan enough to wear them during the Winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    How much prominence do you want your package having when someone takes you in? I've only heard good things about Rapha but you need to specify which short and if you are Minnesotan enough to wear them during the Winter.
    Freezing on a bike isn't my cup of tea, but then I'm not "epic." I'm Minnesotan enough to put my bike in the basement for the winter and gå på ski.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since shrinkage will not be an issue in the vein I suggested, and you have not followed through with the request to name which short you were interested in, any of the Swerve will work fine.

Certain body types in combination with certain Rapha shorts have been noted to have a pronounced effect on advertising male genitalia. The lack of a modest black version precludes toning down your essence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC Rapha store is located in the former meat packing district. Fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I wear these spring/summer/fall until it's too chilly. My slate blue pair has faded a bit (in 2 years) but not a single popped stitch or button. My neighbor down the street wears Rapha and they seem to fit about the same--just about the same leg length as my bibs, snug but not skintight, avoiding any personal package deliveries in the office.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I prefer the Swrve due to their fabric, which is soft and stretchy, and it looks very good as it drapes well around the body.
    And two thumbs up for the super-handy small pocket to keep the phone in a protected -yet quick to grab- area just on the side/above the Rh rear pocket. Once you start using it, you wonder why other trousers don't have it. Let's be frank: who leaves home without a mobile phone nowadays?
    Another strong point of the Swrve is that although not very water-repellent, their fabric dries very quick. Oh, and their 3/4 are real Plus Fours, not "plus one" like some manufacturers make the 3/4 ending 1" below the knee
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast