Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kitchens / Remodels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Kitchens / Remodels

you could start with Gish's furniture. they contract out to Mennonites and Amish. they don't do kitchens but they'll know someone who does. gishs.com
    also, you could ask for rec's on any of the common woodworking forums. lots of talent in SC and SE PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Amish and Mennonite cabinets. No clue where to start. Sooooo I'm guessing first I come up with the spec. than shop it around to these gents? I rather like the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we added a back half to our last house I had all countertops and bathroom vanitys raised 2 1/2 " The house sold in 6 hrs. and what a wonderful pleasure it was to have that extra height.
    My builder also added height to a couple key doorways.
    I'm going to sneak in an extra 1" for this kitchen...more than that is noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Josh,

Being 6'5" tall I've often thought that higher than "normal" counter tops would be nice. Not sure how that would affect the Queen or resale.
    Just a thought.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The contractors are set to show up at CasaTMB on Sept 8 to start the kitchen re-do.

I have made some things more difficult on them, and on my wife by insisting that anything coming out, be taken out intact so that it can be donated to the Habitat for Humanity outlet. The existing cabinets are solid Oak, so they should be renewed.

We are not changing very much, nothing in terms of floor layout. The island is going back in the same place and the fridge and cooktop will be in the same places. We use a downdraft cooktop so putting it back in the same place will save huge money.

We are putting in a cooling/refrigerated drawer separate and apart from the fridge (beer should be cold) and getting rid of the microwave and most other gadgets.

We are going to a double wall oven which will be nice.

We found a local cabinet maker (recent Austrian immigrant) who is custom making the cabinets on site for less than the cost of a "cabinet pack" from one of the main suppliers.

I am looking forward to the kitchen. I am not looking forward to writing cheques.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news TMB. Send that cabinet maker to Maryland ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update!!! I *think we have our guy to do the job. Friend of a friend, he generally does high end new homes and in the biz for ages. We did alot of handwaving and he took a few measurements. Love it when someone is so d@mn good that they just need a survey by eye, alot of questions and than we get down to business.

Today we pick out all new appliances. Feel free to chime in on the following:

1. Wall oven - Bosch is looking good
    2. Microwave - Install in combo with wall oven
    3. Drop in gas cooktop 36" - Honestly GE looks good! Thermador and Blue Star total toss up. *NO QUESTION I want a center burner that will light up my wok.
    4. Dishwasher - Bosch end of story
    5. Fridge - favoring lower freezer double upper door and no ice maker.
    6. Exhaust Hood - No clue. Do I need to worry about return air?

Surfaces - Going with Soapstone for the prep/sink countertops and textured granite for the cooking island. My guy likes waxed soapstone which I agree with since it does not make the stone too dark and care involves very occasional waxing.

Floor - hardwood to match

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- no imperfection.., just perfection.., you have..

consider:
    thermador cooktop is tops.., we have..
    exhaust hood -- no return air needed.., just exhaust it alllll!!

ronnie with a smile & a smell for the awesomeness to be prepared

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Ronnie, great success with a Thermador 5 burner gas cooktop and double wall ovens...16 years doing the job for Mrs. RW, who is the mad kitchen alchemist. In terms of hoods, look at KitchenAire. They've been around a long time, perform well, are reasonably priced and you can get filters and other parts. No make up air needed...just direct vent to the great outdoors and let your neighbors be envious of the aroma.

Kitchen-Aire Hoods and Custom Hood Designs — Transforming the Ordinary to Extrodinary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry skipping ahead but here's some ideas that I forget if I keep reading.

Hoods - the one built into a microwave won't be great.
    I cut a slot into my counter top for a knife holder and love it. Takes up less space than a block and more convenient than a drawer.
    Ikea kitchen cabinets (I know they have been ruled out) are good stuff. I've done 3 kitchens with them and the price:performance is very good.
    You are tall and this is your chance to have a prep station that is at a good height for you. Take it.
    The distance from the top of the counter top to the bottom of the wall cabinets is whatever you want it to be. I like them a little high so it is easier to work at that counter.
    Our garbage and compost bins are in a slide out cabinet in the island where all the prep is done. Very convenient.
    Sound- wiring for speakers is a great idea. We use ours all the time. But if you prefer to use a wireless solution like Sonos or a bluetooth speaker make sure you have power wired to that location.
    More lights = more awesome
    How is your plumbing? Something to think about while everything is torn up.
    Research the appliances. From what I read the "pro" brands required a lot more maintenance and repair than consumer stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT, while I'm still in the planning stages myself, we have come to many of the same conclusions.
    Bosch dishwashers are silly good. Having no heating element for drying takes some habit changes, like leaving the door open a crack if your washing plastic or wood items.
    Messing around at an appliance shop here that invites you to do a little cooking the ranges I liked were thermador and bluestar. The burner shape seemed to contribute to more even heat and both had a good simmer. The thermador simmers by pulsing the flame, which makes a sound some find annoying. Just turn on your big ass hood and all will be fine.

Considerations: I'll be putting in a built-in instant hot water tap. It's awesome for coffee and tea. Also, installing a momentary switch by the sink for the disposal seems nice.

One place I'll be different from everyone is that I'll probably have stainless steel counters made. My wife isn't convinced, but I beat the hell out of my kitchen (bad habits formed in busy kitchens) and am used to the feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From an aesthetic standpoint, matched refrigerator and dishwasher fronts to the cabinets always caught my eye and is possible by most cabinet makers/contractors. Also as mentioned above, stainless counter prep areas are great for abuse and cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you settled on the sink and faucet? Check out the foot-actuated faucet add-ons. They let you use the regular faucet or turn it on/off with your foot. Some even connect to the dispose-all to run the water when it runs. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's great to rinse things that require both hands to hold.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe this thread is here. So timely. The next 6 weeks or so are going to be total chaos in our house - new fridge, stove, (both GE) dishwasher (yeah, Bosch), island with soapstone countertop, and cabinets. Need to totally clear out all the stuff in the cabinets now, and figure out how to live without a kitchen for a few weeks.

I'm already starting to miss the rides I'm going to miss! But somebody else living here is going to be one happy lady!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I can't believe this thread is here. So timely. The next 6 weeks or so are going to be total chaos in our house - new fridge, stove, (both GE) dishwasher (yeah, Bosch), island with soapstone countertop, and cabinets. Need to totally clear out all the stuff in the cabinets now, and figure out how to live without a kitchen for a few weeks.

I'm already starting to miss the rides I'm going to miss! But somebody else living here is going to be one happy lady!
    Will you have soapstone counters AND Island or Granite Island? Wondering if I really need to worry about having quite different surface appearances.

*Instant Hot Water* <<< YES good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---- we had soapstone in home back in lexington ky..
    so beautiful and even more-so when oiled & treated properly..
    but..,
    remember soapstone is not granite.., will not tolerate sharp objects nor dropped objects -- without marks left..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bosch dishwasher = Love it. Would buy it again.

New disposals are much quieter than 10-15 year old units.

Have you ever used / lived with the dbl door fridge up/freezer down? Have been in 3-4 week rentals with them and have never come to like them. Maybe with just the two of you around you'll manage to get both doors closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermador is running a special. Buy their cooktop and oven get the dishwasher and hood for free. Hard to say no. Their dishwasher is infact a Bosch.
    Almost impossible to see soapstone displayed here. Might have to travel.
    All of the "island" exhaust hoods were in the 600 cfm range and by code require a fresh air system installed...ouch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh hell.., igloo, well greased dutch oven, lakota hole well drafted, alum trash can with boiling water/suds hung from the lh pit & swipe a park picnic table/bench well initial carved..

no more decision problems, sooo-- on to the next chapter with a smile..,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the "island" exhaust hoods were in the 600 cfm range and by code require a fresh air system installed...ouch.
    Exhaust hoods drawing 400cfm and under don't require make up air according to the 2009 IRC (International Residdntial Code). Ask your appliance supplier to do some calcs for the cooktop that you are using to confirm the volume requirement. If it's over 400cfm, start shopping for a make up air unit. The logic is that a large volume hood could backdraft your furnace, hot water heater, fireplace, etc.

Make-Up Air Heaters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory is the operative phrase. It is an old house but I do understand the requirement. Will do my homework.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Exhaust hoods drawing 400cfm and under don't require make up air according to the 2009 IRC (International Residdntial Code). Ask your appliance supplier to do some calcs for the cooktop that you are using to confirm the volume requirement. If it's over 400cfm, start shopping for a make up air unit. The logic is that a large volume hood could backdraft your furnace, hot water heater, fireplace, etc.

Make-Up Air Heaters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermador is running a special. Buy their cooktop and oven get the dishwasher and hood for free. Hard to say no. Their dishwasher is infact a Bosch.
    Almost impossible to see soapstone displayed here. Might have to travel.
    That makes sense.....Thermador is part BSH group. Bosch Siemens.

If you want to see soapstone.....I can take you someplace to take a peek.