Thread: New Kitchens / Remodels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Kitchens / Remodels

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    And Mike, I loved my Kitchen Aid too. But I am considering the Miele at AJ Madison to replace the Liebherr in my place now. They are made in the same factory but to Miele family (as opposed to Liebherr family) specs and supposedly pretty good from what some others have told me. Although these things are so friggin expensive I am almost tempted to go to PC R and just get whatever is cheapest and fits. It makes me crazy from a disposal earth basis but I am befuddled by how appliances got so expensive and fancy that they break constantly.
    so back to one of my question. what's involved in going miele if my current unit is a slide in? I'm a fan of Miele but I have be pragmatic too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it isn’t bad. May just have to do some trim things on cabinets/countertop. There may be some other stuff depending on utilities and the hole that it fits into. If utility issues like moving lines that’s a whole other smoke in this town.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Jon refers to Thermador, I felt that I needed to respond. We have a Thermador 5-burner gas cooktop and a double oven (one convection) that have been kicking arse for 21 years. One ($125) control repair on one of the ovens about 10 years ago...that’s it.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermador is owned by BSH Home Appliances Corp. - also owner of Bosch and Gaggenau.

We have a Bosch range original to the house. At first I thought it sucked, but then I did some research and found out that the original door springs & hinges were set up vertically, so when they started to wear the door sagged open and the oven took forever to warm up. I ordered a replacement inner door which included said springs and hinges redesigned not to sag, took apart the door and switched out the inner door etc. and now it works like a champ. It is a glass top electric, which took some getting used to after gas, but I can manage it now.

If you have a slide-in range and want to use a stand-alone, you have to double check measurements and make sure that the finished sides of the stand alone will fit. Sometimes they are a tighter fit. Also slide-ins usually have trim around the top edge that covers the space between the oven and the counter-top. Sometimes that means the cut-out was done less carefully than for a stand alone, because the trim covers that up. Removing the trim can also reveal a strip of lighter/darker/stained counter material - or even ragged unfinished edges - and the stand alone may not fit as well with the faces/doors/drawers of the cabinets on either side of the oven's front door. You'll have to deal with any of that to make things look okay. There are tricks - just find someone who knows what they are doing. Some stand alones have the knobs behind the burners - fine for placement against a wall but not in a kitchen island. If you are going to a higher BTU range, you may want to check your venting to make sure has the proper capacity. If your range uses/will use gas, don't reuse the old connection. Replace the flexible gas line back to the gas pipe with a new one. I wouldn't work on the gas hookup myself. I'd call ConEd and go from there.

Since you are in NYC, go to the Architects and Designers Building on 58th St and look at all the brands. Some of them will even let you try them out - meaning cook something on the stove top, not bake a cake. That's important for induction. If you haven't had an induction top, you need to try out a GOOD one. I think with induction, you get what you pay for. Good ones are as close as electric gets to gas. Regular are meh, and bad ones will be infuriating. A&D Building has all of the brands mentioned in this thread. They aren't selling there, so you can spend hours and not talk to anyone. Very little pressure. But also as much info as you want.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-09-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks similar to the one that was in my apartment when we purchased it. I am not as happy with it as I was with my old Thermidor.

The oven is great but there are weird little things that make me a little nuts. The way the burners are setup...on mine it doesn’t work for me.

The biggest burner is on the front left as I look at it. There is a little low output burner on the back left. If I am using an iron griddle/grill for steaks or whatever I would prefer the two burners to be somewhat the same size. They are wildly different sized.

It’s the same thing but in reverse on the right side. I would have liked them flipped. Oh, and the back burner on the right side is smaller than the front on the left.

It just makes it all crazy inconvenient to me when cooking with more than one burner because of how I cook. Honestly, it is something that I have never thought about in a stove before but now that I have this situation it really is annoying and something I will look for in the future.

Also, the burners are a nightmare to clean. For some reason they are worse than any stove I had before. This is important to me as my wife seems to think there are two speeds to a burner, on full and off completely, which means every cooking experience is a deep cleaning experience. On cleaning, the previous owners must have used something strong OR KitchenAid doesn’t finish the metal well because the top is just a mess around the biggest burner.

I also am not happy with the vent cap in the middle betweeen the burners. Horrible to clean and I am not quite sure of its purpose.

That all sounds so negative and I guess it is because as I said above, I want to replace it. Although of the appliances that came with the apartment is far better than the dish drawers by Fisher, the fridge by Liebherr, or the Microwave by KitchenAid.

And, I have to say the oven has been bang on and fantastic on the various fancy stuff you can do with it. Although, here too, it is the hardest to clean oven of any that I have ever owned. Yes it has self clean but there is still cleanup I always have done after a self clean on the oven and this one is a little more work for some reason.,

Oh, and the grills are tough to clean and don’t fit in my “dish drawers” maybe they do in a real dishwasher.

But the brand would be in my consideration set again, just I would look at those nits above because that matters to me. Of course, you may be totally fine with it and have other nits about something else.

91CF32C7-C939-4FB0-B53C-A8157C2FEE7E.jpeg
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    That looks similar to the one that was in my apartment when we purchased it. I am not as happy with it as I was with my old Thermidor.

The oven is great but there are weird little things that make me a little nuts. The way the burners are setup...on mine it doesn’t work for me.

The biggest burner is on the front left as I look at it. There is a little low output burner on the back left. If I am using an iron griddle/grill for steaks or whatever I would prefer the two burners to be somewhat the same size. They are wildly different sized.

It’s the same thing but in reverse on the right side. I would have liked them flipped. Oh, and the back burner on the right side is smaller than the front on the left.

It just makes it all crazy inconvenient to me when cooking with more than one burner because of how I cook. Honestly, it is something that I have never thought about in a stove before but now that I have this situation it really is annoying and something I will look for in the future.

Also, the burners are a nightmare to clean. For some reason they are worse than any stove I had before. This is important to me as my wife seems to think there are two speeds to a burner, on full and off completely, which means every cooking experience is a deep cleaning experience. On cleaning, the previous owners must have used something strong OR KitchenAid doesn’t finish the metal well because the top is just a mess around the biggest burner.

I also am not happy with the vent cap in the middle betweeen the burners. Horrible to clean and I am not quite sure of its purpose.

That all sounds so negative and I guess it is because as I said above, I want to replace it. Although of the appliances that came with the apartment is far better than the dish drawers by Fisher, the fridge by Liebherr, or the Microwave by KitchenAid.

And, I have to say the oven has been bang on and fantastic on the various fancy stuff you can do with it. Although, here too, it is the hardest to clean oven of any that I have ever owned. Yes it has self clean but there is still cleanup I always have done after a self clean on the oven and this one is a little more work for some reason.,

Oh, and the grills are tough to clean and don’t fit in my “dish drawers” maybe they do in a real dishwasher.

But the brand would be in my consideration set again, just I would look at those nits above because that matters to me. Of course, you may be totally fine with it and have other nits about something else.

91CF32C7-C939-4FB0-B53C-A8157C2FEE7E.jpeg
    thanks. brands like thermador , viking, miele can't be considered as they don't do slide-ins. i'm quickly learning here and elsewhere i should stick with a slide-in
    for what its worth. i wasn't loving my new kitchenaid frig at first. it works and keeps the food fresh but the top shelf is not as usable as it should be with half the shelf space at reduced clearance. the subzero and miele don't do that but there miele required an electrician to move an outlet and i got the feeling subzero was not that reliable. at this point i'm used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of reliability, I’ve owned a Sub side-by-side as long as the Thermador gear (21 years) and no issues at all. I’m not sure if I’d spend the money on another one, as it seems like there are some manufacturers who also now make a cabinet depth refrigerator. At the time, they were the only ones in the game who manufactured to cabinet depth dimensions and it was one of the few items in the design that Mrs. RW was drawn too. If you use the kitchen like she does, get the better gear. I’m just in it for the bread, pizza and coffee.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    waking this thread up. i need to replace my oven range it's a 30 inch slide in. from the minimal research i've done it seems i have to stick with that. does that sound accurate? and if i have to go slide in it seems like options narrow down. i was thinking miele based on reliability but they only do free standing. so what's the more reliable free standing ranges that have the features? kitchen aid? GE Cafe and I guess Samsung? Any recommendations? The previous Kitchenaid lasted 18 years. It's been OK but not great. Concerned because read some online reviews that quality had gone down. G.E. sold the business, Samsung is unknown to me and was never that thrilled with BOSCH? What's my best option? -Mike G
    Gas? Electric? Are you interested in particular features?

My wife (chief chef chez nous) has very specific requirements which include maximum burner space (for big pans and pots) and dual ovens rather than a nearly useless storage drawer.

That led us to a GE Profile PGS950. Four years in we like it very much.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just going to ask about dual ovens because I am going to replace the slide-in and the completely useless microwave over it with a good one and an actual hood. It'll be nice to be able to look in the pans in the back and gosh darn it, sometimes cooking involves smoke on purpose.

I was looking at dual ovens because sometimes its nice not to have to serialize what you're doing because one thing wants 275 and the other wants 500.

Edit: and what genius thought 'bisque' was an appropriate color for a freaking stove? You ever see anything burnt to a bisque?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. brands like thermador , viking, miele can't be considered as they don't do slide-ins. i'm quickly learning here and elsewhere i should stick with a slide-in
    for what its worth. i wasn't loving my new kitchenaid frig at first. it works and keeps the food fresh but the top shelf is not as usable as it should be with half the shelf space at reduced clearance. the subzero and miele don't do that but there miele required an electrician to move an outlet and i got the feeling subzero was not that reliable. at this point i'm used to it.
    Well I typed up all the possible issues you might face. You MAY face exactly NONE of those. Once you pull the slide-in range out, installing the stand alone could just be as simple as gas+electric+push. Make measurements of the space in your counter. Then look for the installation guides for each range you are interested in. All the companies include these on their websites. Those guides will have a measured drawing that shows height width depth and any clearance issues that need to be accommodated.

Here's the kicker - you live in NYC. Lots of old stoves coming out and new ones going in. And a lot of the new ones are "I bought a XYZ stove because I really like the way it looks and now I want you to make it fit" kind of adventures for installers. Lots of experience out there, in other words.

The Wolf ranges are stand alone and the cook surface is 1" higher than most counter tops (37" and 36" respectively. That 1" should allow some artistry if there are any issues with the surrounding edges of the cabinet. And Wolf 30" range, imho, is really nice.

Edit: Might also go look at this Bosch. BOSCH - HGIP54UC - Gas Slide-in Range
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-10-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well I typed up all the possible issues you might face. You MAY face exactly NONE of those. Once you pull the slide-in range out, installing the stand alone could just be as simple as gas+electric+push. Make measurements of the space in your counter. Then look for the installation guides for each range you are interested in. All the companies include these on their websites. Those guides will have a measured drawing that shows height width depth and any clearance issues that need to be accommodated.

Here's the kicker - you live in NYC. Lots of old stoves coming out and new ones going in. And a lot of the new ones are "I bought a XYZ stove because I really like the way it looks and now I want you to make it fit" kind of adventures for installers. Lots of experience out there, in other words.

The Wolf ranges are stand alone and the cook surface is 1" higher than most counter tops (37" and 36" respectively. That 1" should allow some artistry if there are any issues with the surrounding edges of the cabinet. And Wolf 30" range, imho, is really nice.

Edit: Might also go look at this Bosch. BOSCH - HGIP54UC - Gas Slide-in Range
    decided to go with kitchenaid. folks i know that had bosch were never that satisfied. from my dishwasher research in concluded they weren't as good as miele. not that i think kitchenaid is perfect. guess i kind of decided to go with the devil i know vs the devil i don't. it looks nice anyway. i can tell myself i'm saving money versus the other brands i was thinking about. everyone was right. doing a stand alone would be less than optimal. anyway so far my architect series refrigerator that i purchased in 2015 has had zero repairs which is better than the previous kitchenaid refrigerator. regardless of the height difference there would be a noticable gap between the stove and the countertop. not sure i want to introduce that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, that range is not a good fit for the counter. Look at the edges of the counter - they are higher than the stove top. I bet the edges of the counter along the area where the burners are located is going to get washed with heat from the burners - especially when a large pot or pan is on the burner - and the formica or whatever that plastic is will slowly brown and crack. That looks like a slide-in used in a slot for a free standing stove. Or rather, a front-control stove used in a slot where a rear control stand alone stove was located.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, that range is not a good fit for the counter. Look at the edges of the counter - they are higher than the stove top. I bet the edges of the counter along the area where the burners are located is going to get washed with heat from the burners - especially when a large pot or pan is on the burner - and the formica or whatever that plastic is will slowly brown and crack. That looks like a slide-in used in a slot for a free standing stove. Or rather, a front-control stove used in a slot where a rear control stand alone stove was located.
    well i called kitchenaid so i felt reasonably confident. my counter doesn't look like that.newtest.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i called kitchenaid so i felt reasonably confident. my counter doesn't look like that.newtest.jpg
    I was just using it as an example of a bad installation. Brand-agnostic critique.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-10-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just using it as an example of a bad installation. Brand-agnostic critique.
    was just showing you for your professional opinion. :)
    looks wise i think the new unit is an upgrade. whether i'm happy with it only time will tell. both units are no longer functioning optimally so there's that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was just showing you for your professional opinion. :)
    looks wise i think the new unit is an upgrade. whether i'm happy with it only time will tell. both units are no longer functioning optimally so there's that
    Looks are an upgrade for sure! Not an expert, I just spent most of the last year making my head hurt by looking at appliances, measuring, trying, kicking, measuring, etc.

BTW on FisherPaykel drawer dishwashers - we almost had to get the drawers because they are in the island and have to be legless. So because of interior space concerns, we got two of them, one for dishes and one for pots or one for dishes and one for glassware or whatever. And I went to Fisher/Paykel at the A&D Building for a demo, and they seemed to work well there. Equal to our full sized Bosch. There is a big advantage to being a vegetarian when it comes to dishwashers. Broccoli et al really don't test a dishwasher like a turkey or t-bone or whatever massive grease and fat extruders meat eaters throw into their dishwashers.

If they don't work, we'll put the dishes outside and let the bears clean them off.

And further FYI, both Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Since 1999 and Genuine Replacement Parts | Fast Shipping | Huge Selection | eReplacement Parts have allowed me to search out things like Bosch inside oven door w/springs and hinges replacements and Delonghi water pump for super automatic coffee machines and rebuild equipment that I might have otherwise replaced. And only one electrical fire! I am a lot better at it now than I was then though, but that Saeco espresso machine had to go into the dumpster.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- Tammy loves to prepare with gas...
    we have limited space and propane...
    bosh slide in prof with large overhead direct fan/vent up through the ceiling to outside..
    ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviving this oldie for a quick question.

We're finally (finally!) getting the hood installed that we planned on pre-Covid.

The kitchen has dropped cupboards, with about a 10" gap from the top of the cupboards to the ceiling.

The installer is inclined to run the venting 4' horizontally through the pantry behind the stove and out the back wall of the house. His motivations are that it's the only way to hide the venting without additional remodeling, and you avoid cutting a hole in the roof.

I'm not all that worried about a little bit of venting showing above the cupboard if the vertical install is a better idea. The vertical stack would be really short, probably 3 feet or so. This is a cold part of the house in a cold climate. My gut says it's going to be easier to move hot air vertically than horizontally, along with all the junk that might condense in a cold horizontal run.

Experiences, opinions, rants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imo if not concerned with the visual of the vent go with the vertical. A roof vent is easily flashed by any competent tradesman.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare