Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: New Kitchens / Remodels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Kitchens / Remodels

Just playing around today. The closed burners on the Miele can put out some decent heat. A new job, a birthday, closing on the loan and moving didn't lend itself well to actually using it, though. Jeebus, what a week (and it's only Tuesday!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    A few more pics.

Granite take off measurements happen Monday and install one week later.
    Did I mention that all counters are raised an extra 1.5 inches? Boo-Yah.

STOKED!!!!
    I just now figured out where all of this is happening. Holy crap. You really changed things up, my man.

But why the taller counters?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny very funny. As Howard the Duck says "Born into a world I never made".

Fired up the Kitchen Aide range. Sheesh, this is going to be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of you induction owners tried this Samsung slide-in range? On paper at least it looks like a perfect fit for our kitchen and our cooking requirements (vegetarians so basically we just need a butane torch but occasionally bake etc.) And we've been told by several people who have induction and Le Creuset enameled iron pots that they work fine. For some reason I am a bit wary of Samsung products, but then again, we have a Bosch currently that is noisy, slow heating and has an electric cooktop that is frustrating even though we know how to get the most out of it now. So....

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counter tops are done.
    granite1.jpggranite2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the Miele range:

I thought the griddle was going to be a waste. I was wrong. I seasoned it yesterday and broke it in last night. I love that thing, and it looks even better now that it has a patina.
    The speed oven (microwave and/or convection oven combo) is genius. No need to dedicate space to reheating my wife's coffee and making my little one's popcorn, and it's still a very functional oven.
    I really, really wanted open burners, but the closed burners on this thing are pretty good. Close on the top end, but they go super low, too.
    The high tech aspects were strange at first, but the adjustment period was pretty short. I've been able to get them out of the way, but I'm interested in experimenting with them when I have more time.

Thoughts on the Miele refrigerator:

It's counter-depth, but swallows a surprising amount of stuff. A large pizza box won't fit, but lots of medium ones do.
    It's just so consistent, burly and nice to look at/use. I'm kind of blown away by it.

Thoughts on the Miele dishwasher:

The crappy install issues persist. It leaks. We washed dishes by hand after Thanksgiving. Not fun. We are once again escalating through the chain. I am extremely disappointed on the install/service. Had we bought everything through an independent dealer rather than Miele directly, things would have probably gone much better.

More to come later on some of the functional/usability aspects of the kitchen itself. There are some things I would change, but thankfully nothing that is a big letdown. We are really loving being home again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    Thoughts on the Miele range:

I thought the griddle was going to be a waste. I was wrong. I seasoned it yesterday and broke it in last night. I love that thing, and it looks even better now that it has a patina.
    The speed oven (microwave and/or convection oven combo) is genius. No need to dedicate space to reheating my wife's coffee and making my little one's popcorn, and it's still a very functional oven.
    I really, really wanted open burners, but the closed burners on this thing are pretty good. Close on the top end, but they go super low, too.
    The high tech aspects were strange at first, but the adjustment period was pretty short. I've been able to get them out of the way, but I'm interested in experimenting with them when I have more time.

Thoughts on the Miele refrigerator:

It's counter-depth, but swallows a surprising amount of stuff. A large pizza box won't fit, but lots of medium ones do.
    It's just so consistent, burly and nice to look at/use. I'm kind of blown away by it.

Thoughts on the Miele dishwasher:

The crappy install issues persist. It leaks. We washed dishes by hand after Thanksgiving. Not fun. We are once again escalating through the chain. I am extremely disappointed on the install/service. Had we bought everything through an independent dealer rather than Miele directly, things would have probably gone much better.

More to come later on some of the functional/usability aspects of the kitchen itself. There are some things I would change, but thankfully nothing that is a big letdown. We are really loving being home again.
    Thanks for the info. We are at the "kitchen is gutted" stage so we'll be forking out for some appliances soon and it's good to get the real world reviews.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy, check back with me on the KitchenAid goods. They are looking great thus far.

My guys are here buttoning up the final electric and plumbing today. This evening I expect to make a simple omelet and sleep on the counter top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy, check back with me on the KitchenAid goods. They are looking great thus far.

My guys are here buttoning up the final electric and plumbing today. This evening I expect to make a simple omelet and sleep on the counter top.
    In NYC you could charge $300 a night for the privilege of sleeping on that island.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day to day, watch the overhead vent/range.

my wife and I have capped our heads on ours more than once - fully knowing its there. ours looks a bit lower than yours does though, anyone over 5' has to bend over to have a chat on opposite sides.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    day to day, watch the overhead vent/range.

my wife and I have capped our heads on ours more than once - fully knowing its there. ours looks a bit lower than yours does though, anyone over 5' has to bend over to have a chat on opposite sides.
    Sounds like you need to "hellafabricate" one with a lower profile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miele is a Bosch owner's next appliance. I know this now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Have any of you induction owners tried this Samsung slide-in range? On paper at least it looks like a perfect fit for our kitchen and our cooking requirements (vegetarians so basically we just need a butane torch but occasionally bake etc.) And we've been told by several people who have induction and Le Creuset enameled iron pots that they work fine. For some reason I am a bit wary of Samsung products, but then again, we have a Bosch currently that is noisy, slow heating and has an electric cooktop that is frustrating even though we know how to get the most out of it now. So....

Very pleased with our Samsung electric range. It's a slide in like that and has the option to divide it internally for two different baking temps. It worked well last Thursday and has been great for the last 12 months. It's not induction, but it boils water plenty fast. I think induction is popular with folks who are coming from an outdated or really crappy electric stove top ATMA. New electric ranges work considerably better than the stuff from 5, 10, 20 years ago.

Samsung 30" Flex Duo Slide-In Electric Range - Stainless Steel - BJs Wholesale Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Miele is a Bosch owner's next appliance. I know this now.
    Hey! We had LG appliances before this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Sounds like you need to "hellafabricate" one with a lower profile!
    We probably wont be in this house any longer than 2 years. We've made offers on other houses already so Im not ready to spend any more money on the house we have now.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming along swimmingly. This tue. the cabinet folks arrive to finish installing handle hardware, crown molding and toe kick. I'm going to break in the oven and start moving in ASAP! This has been a great project with nearly zero "issues".
    Who knows the deal with fresh hardwood floors? The poly surface has cured for 10 days but seems a little tender.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you haven't had issues! Re-doing the entire house, we have had some. Our contractor has been great, though. We're nearly done with appliance drama, thank goodness (that was outside of their scope). For our floors, they basically said wait 48 hours, then have at it. In total, there were three 48 hour pauses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finished staining the kitchen table this morning, clear coats yet to go on.

The floors will be done on the 16th after we leave - they told us we couldn't be on the, for 10 days after application. This will give them about 16 days so should be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I want is my dishwasher, please.

dw.png
    GO!