User Tag List

Thread: Occasional Wear Dress Shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Occasional Wear Dress Shoes

I need to buy some dress shoes for my not very formal wedding. I will be wearing a brown sport coat with grey pants and want something in a light to medium brown that will look good, but not be super formal. I tend to like more basic styles with less flair ie I don't like perforated wingtips. I have big wide feet (12-13 EE), so finding something that fits may be a challenge
    In normal life these will get worn maybe 5 times per year, so I don't really want to spend top dollar. I rarely wear anything more formal than jeans and a button down in day to day life and have a casual set of brown leather boots, that these would occasionally replace.
    Any suggestions on specific shoes or where to look? I am in Seattle so Nordstrom was my first thought, but I would prefer to be in the $150-200 range instead of the $300-400 range.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Occasional Wear Dress Shoes

Well Nordstrom had 1000 mile cap toe boots on sale for $270, so I bought a pair, more my style than a traditional dress shoe and should find plenty of opportunities to wear them. Should I worry about the leather soles and wet/rough surfaces? I am thinking of having a cobbler add a rubber layer but am not sure if it is needed.
    Wolverine '1000 Mile - McClean' Leather Cap Toe Boot (Men) (Nordstrom Exclusive) | Nordstrom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not needed, but it will extend the life of the shoes, especially if you kick off your toes or land flat footed. Vibram has a product often referred to as "Sole Saver" that is a thin sheathing for just this purpose- we have a new pair of boots for my wife getting this treatment now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google search "Tan Oxford Cap Toe." First result is an attractive pair (wide width) with a chunky sole, right in your budget.

Williams Cap Toe Oxfords in British Tan | Cole Haan Outlet
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i recently resoled a brand new pair of crockett and jones boots that come stock with leather soles. it's a good idea if you will wear the boots a lot, especially in the rain. what good are boots in seattle, i ask you, that don't like the rain? find a good cobbler, and do it immediately. it will extend the life of your boots and make them more practical for your daily life.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've worn dress shoes with leather soles. I never had any trouble with them other than water seeping though if I'm in the wet for extended periods. If I'm walking from the car, to the office in the wet, they're fine. If I'm walking from home to work in the wet, that's no good. I would say that if you're going to be out in the rain for more than a minute or two, I'd wear other shoes. As for rough surfaces, I cant really say. For the most part, I have other shoes to wear if I'm going to see rough or adverse conditions. I will say that on a quality shoe, the leather outsole is surprisingly durable.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Benjamin L View Post
    i recently resoled a brand new pair of crockett and jones boots that come stock with leather soles. it's a good idea if you will wear the boots a lot, especially in the rain. what good are boots in seattle, i ask you, that don't like the rain? find a good cobbler, and do it immediately. it will extend the life of your boots and make them more practical for your daily life.
    This makes sense though.
    Bill Showers