User Tag List

Thread: 12mm Front Dropouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 12mm Front Dropouts

Well Mark couldn't hold it in anymore, so I guess we're releasing these a little early...

DSC_0004.jpg DSC_0063.jpg

Stemming from the increasing demand for thru axles on road and cyclocross bikes Paragon Machine Works is pleased to announce we are now offering a new line of 12mm front dropouts and skewers! All three dropouts are steel with 2 flanged versions and 1 flat/tabbed version. At this time we do not have plans to make these in titanium as we view that a 12mm titanium fork would be just too noodly. To complete the package we are offering our very own aluminum 100 x 12mm combination head skewer as well as a 100 x 12mm DT Swiss skewer that can be used with any of the 100 x 12mm hubsets coming this fall. Speaking of which, our wonderful associates at White Industries, Chris King, Paul Components and Industry Nine have all confirmed they will be offering 12mm hubsets this coming fall! I know Chris King had a prototype set on show at NAHBS this year, so they may be the first to have 12mm hubset available. Unfortunately I don't have any more hub details than above, so I would suggest contacting your favorite manufacturer to get some more details on release dates.

DR2054.jpg DR2055.jpg

The flanged dropouts come in two varieties, both of which are 1" in diameter and machined from 1018 round bar. They come in a 18mm (DR2054) width and a 24mm (DR2055) width to provide a clean aesthetic with the varying fork blade diameters that builders use. If you're planning on using a larger fork blade we suggest bumping up to a 15mm skewer and using our existing 15mm front flanged dropout (DR2051). DR2054 is the lightest front dropout we make, coming in at just 57g per pair. The slightly wider, DR2055, is 2g heavier, coming in at 59g per pair.

DR2052.jpg

The flat/tabbed 12mm front dropout (DR2052) has a 4mm thick tab that works great for 13-15mm fork blades, but can easily be used with some smaller/larger diameter blades. The tab is located slightly inboard so as to try and keep the tab centered in your fork blade. DR2052 is a bit heavier than our flanged versions, coming in at 64g per pair, but it's still much lighter than our 15mm flanged dropouts (105g with aluminum inserts) and even most of our other 10mm front dropout offerings.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them. I hope you all had a wonderful ride filled weekend, and I look forward to seeing some forks equipped with these soon!

DSC_0012.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 12mm Front Dropouts

Oh snap! Looks like Paragon decided to bring the elegance back. Steel disc forks with a sleek TA dropout. Add in a slick thru-axle and a 6mm in your pocket and lets dance.

If these sell well, any possibility in doing the tab style in stainless?
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff! Glad to see 12mm stuff getting out there, not that I have an interest or anything :).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Oh snap! Looks like Paragon decided to bring the elegance back. Steel disc forks with a sleek TA dropout. Add in a slick thru-axle and a 6mm in your pocket and lets dance.

If these sell well, any possibility in doing the tab style in stainless?
    Perhaps. The price of the dropout would be pretty high because we're having to start with 1/2" stock. Similar reasoning to why we haven't released a thru-axle low mount disc dropout, we don't really think they would be economically viable for builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wondered about the lack of a low mount TA rear dropout. Maybe 2 inserts would be acceptable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonMachineWorks View Post
    Well Mark couldn't hold it in anymore, so I guess we're releasing these a little early...

Stemming from the increasing demand for thru axles on road and cyclocross bikes Paragon Machine Works is pleased to announce we are now offering a new line of 12mm front dropouts and skewers! All three dropouts are steel with 2 flanged versions and 1 flat/tabbed version. At this time we do not have plans to make these in titanium as we view that a 12mm titanium fork would be just too noodly. To complete the package we are offering our very own aluminum 100 x 12mm combination head skewer as well as a 100 x 12mm DT Swiss skewer that can be used with any of the 100 x 12mm hubsets coming this fall. Speaking of which, our wonderful associates at White Industries, Chris King, Paul Components and Industry Nine have all confirmed they will be offering 12mm hubsets this coming fall! I know Chris King had a prototype set on show at NAHBS this year, so they may be the first to have 12mm hubset available. Unfortunately I don't have any more hub details than above, so I would suggest contacting your favorite manufacturer to get some more details on release dates.

The flanged dropouts come in two varieties, both of which are 1" in diameter and machined from 1018 round bar. They come in a 18mm (DR2054) width and a 24mm (DR2055) width to provide a clean aesthetic with the varying fork blade diameters that builders use. If you're planning on using a larger fork blade we suggest bumping up to a 15mm skewer and using our existing 15mm front flanged dropout (DR2051). DR2054 is the lightest front dropout we make, coming in at just 57g per pair. The slightly wider, DR2055, is 2g heavier, coming in at 59g per pair.

The flat/tabbed 12mm front dropout (DR2052) has a 4mm thick tab that works great for 13-15mm fork blades, but can easily be used with some smaller/larger diameter blades. The tab is located slightly inboard so as to try and keep the tab centered in your fork blade. DR2052 is a bit heavier than our flanged versions, coming in at 64g per pair, but it's still much lighter than our 15mm flanged dropouts (105g with aluminum inserts) and even most of our other 10mm front dropout offerings.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them. I hope you all had a wonderful ride filled weekend, and I look forward to seeing some forks equipped with these soon!
    Is there any solution around for running 12mm through axles with 15mm dynohubs? Through-axle hubs are available from Schmidt & SP, but only as 15mm. I could stick a piece of 15mm OD aluminium tube with 1.5mm wall in there (available), but don't know if it will work, and dont have a 12mm fork to try it in.
    Last edited by wals7; 11-03-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling of dynohub, don't repeat quoted photos

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wals7 View Post
    Is there <cut>.

Hi wals7
    Please add a first and last name to all of your posts on the Frame Forum.
    Thank you.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the sake of diplomacy, equal rights, and avoiding a he said/she said, could the OP here PLEASE add a first and last name to all posts on the Frame Forum. I dunno who from PMW is logging in, but we need an ID accompanying any participation.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I'd not posted here before that I recall. I have added a signature for all posts henceforth.

regards,
    Andrew Lavery
    Andrew Lavery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have time to wait for them, so I made them. These are 12mm thru-axle rear dropouts made from 1"x.058" chrome-moly tubing and stuff from Ace Hardware. Believe me, lining them up vertical and hz is a pure, unadulterated PITA.

drops_2.jpgdrops_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are cool but what am I going to do with my 22mm left hand tap now?
    Joel Greenblatt

Website

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I didn't have time to wait for them, so I made them. These are 12mm thru-axle rear dropouts made from 1"x.058" chrome-moly tubing and stuff from Ace Hardware. Believe me, lining them up vertical and hz is a pure, unadulterated PITA.
    PMW has had 12mm rear for a couple of years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric, when I say I didn't want to wait, I meant I had a hot torch in my hand and wanted to put that baby together right now. No way was I gonna wait 3 days to get the goods from Paragon! I just don't know what gets into me.

jn

"Thursday"