User Tag List

Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sitting in Indianapolis waiting for LGA to clear our flight to take off for NYC due to high winds at LGA. Meanwhile all the JFK flights have left. Original departure 1PM. Now 3:30. Maybe.
    same happened to me in 2018 coming home from hincapie gran fondo, out of greenvile during the month of october. they knew we wouldn't take off for hours but wouldn't tell us fearing the winds could calm , the plane take off earlier and people miss the flight so they kept us in the dark. Also a flight into La Guardia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sitting in Indianapolis waiting for LGA to clear our flight to take off for NYC due to high winds at LGA. Meanwhile all the JFK flights have left. Original departure 1PM. Now 3:30. Maybe.
    LaGuardia becomes a one-runway airport with strong west winds. Runway 22 is almost never used for takeoffs due to noise constraints and to avoid disrupting operations at JFK. Kennedy can use the parallel runways 31L and 31R and/or use 22L and 22R. JFK is the only one of the three NYC airports that can handle strong west winds. Best wishes getting home today!

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    LaGuardia becomes a one-runway airport with strong west winds. Runway 22 is almost never used for takeoffs due to noise constraints and to avoid disrupting operations at JFK. Kennedy can use the parallel runways 31L and 31R and/or use 22L and 22R. JFK is the only one of the three NYC airports that can handle strong west winds. Best wishes getting home today!

Greg
    This is exactly correct. At best they can land on 31 and depart 4 but sometimes it’s truly just 31. When it’s that windy in New York it gets quite “sporty”.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This is exactly correct. At best they can land on 31 and depart 4 but sometimes it’s truly just 31. When it’s that windy in New York it gets quite “sporty”.
    The Stratosaurus is quite talented at crosswind takeoffs.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/11/0...wind-take-off/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    The Stratosaurus is quite talented at crosswind takeoffs.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/11/0...wind-take-off/
    I’m inclined to opine that, with eight (8) engines, that bizarre tarantula or bird-of-prey “landing gear” and with those outriggers on the wings, it’s almost cheating. Or at least more help than I get with just two (2) engines. I’d prefer at least four (4) engines. It is the appropriate number of engines for crossing any body of water greater than the width of Lake Michigan.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m inclined to opine that, with eight (8) engines, that bizarre tarantula or bird-of-prey “landing gear” and with those outriggers on the wings, it’s almost cheating. Or at least more help than I get with just two (2) engines. I’d prefer at least four (4) engines. It is the appropriate number of engines for crossing any body of water greater than the width of Lake Michigan.
    Landing gear crab control, very cool, NASCAR level cheating.

1505p_b52_006.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d prefer at least four (4) engines. It is the appropriate number of engines for crossing any body of water greater than the width of Lake Michigan.
    You, sir, are a very wise aviator. My former office was so equipped (for some reason, I can't get the image to embed). Four sources of thrust, pressurization, and electrical power were comforting during nighttime crossings of oceans and jungles.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favorite YouTube stations.. https://pilotseye.tv/en/ In this episode, engine #3has an oil temperature issue and the crew has to head back to Zurich.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 11-20-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg
    We got in by 6PM. The landing was from the east to west, and while the descent was two bumpy twisty sideways flying loops of Queens, the actual wheels-on-tarmac was as if there was no wind at all. Obvious pilot skills. The plane was an Embraer 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you have 20 minutes to kill, someone did a youtube video of takeoffs and landings at Costa Smeralda - Olbia (Sardinia), my home airport, for much of 2007. All of my flights were on Meridiana MD80s between Rome and Olbia. Being a good Catholic country, many passengers would cross themselves before and after landing. This one time,... as the pilots were pushing the rudder over as we touched down, the right wingtip kicked up some dust. It was probably fine.

Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least the MD80 was a slightly younger aircraft 15 years ago, for that sporty flying.

I've never had a very positive impression of MD planes, primarily because they seem to have the most compressed economy seating of any plane I've experienced.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why they don't turn the planes around and go the other way but Karen and I spent an extra day in St. Marten because the wind was blowing tail down the runway so hard a loaded plane couldn't get over the hill and out. I figured out why they were having the annual round the island regatta and it drew in crews from Europe. Well, the cheap booze might have been part of it. Good Lord, the Dutch crew could drink. The one night at the marina side bar (where the barmaid turned out to be originally from about 5 miles north of where we live now!) was some fun stuff to watch from the sidelines. Any way, we left next day on a plane with maybe six of us counting flight and cabin crew. Not to worry, the captain announced. We're light enough but make sure you have your baggage claim tickets handy at our destination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever had a weird aviation dream? I did, last night. I was on a B-52 driven by an idiot who was flying alongside and about 20’ above this 1930’s-ish steam powered streamliner locomotive blasting down the tracks. And then the bus started inching closer, and lower, looking like the horizontal stab was going to collide with the loco….but we inched ahead. Next thing I remember is being on the hard-deck, in the drivers face...in a loud, long and colorful conversation. That was novel. Analysis? I'm going with trust issues.

I'm not superstitious, and I wasn’t planning on getting on any airplanes today but I think I’ll make certain of it; and if offered a BUFF ride...I think I won't.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small plane struck and stuck in power lines and rescue operations took seven hours…I think that I’d play the lotto if I were either the pilot or the passenger.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...d-power-lines/
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Small plane struck and stuck in power lines and rescue operations took seven hours…I think that I’d play the lotto if I were either the pilot or the passenger.
    The pilot has already won the lottery twice. This was his second publicized non-fatal crash. His first one was flying into a Utah box canyon thirty years ago with his wife and kids on board. He really needs to choose another hobby. Some people just shouldn’t be pilots.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little flying humor from The Onion..."If you know someone who is for some reason afraid to sit for several hours in a thin metal tube traveling 35,000 feet above the ground, try to avoid saying these things."

https://www.theonion.com/things-to-n...ing-1849829591
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You, sir, are a very wise aviator. My former office was so equipped (for some reason, I can't get the image to embed). Four sources of thrust, pressurization, and electrical power were comforting during nighttime crossings of oceans and jungles.

Greg
    My stepbrother was flying a 757 to Bermuda, I think it was the late 80s, and he had indications that he might lose an engine. He was past the halfway point and flew the remaining miles at a lower altitude. United then assigned him to develop methods and procedures for flying over the ocean in a two-engine plane. I like many engines, but all of my Atlantic crossings since 2007 have been in twin-engine jets.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My stepbrother was flying a 757 to Bermuda, I think it was the late 80s, and he had indications that he might lose an engine. He was past the halfway point and flew the remaining miles at a lower altitude. United then assigned him to develop methods and procedures for flying over the ocean in a two-engine plane. I like many engines, but all of my Atlantic crossings since 2007 have been in twin-engine jets.
    It’s a very small world, Bill! I was fortunate to have several friends at United who worked on Extended-range Twin-engine Operations (ETOPS). United was an industry leader in Crew Resource Management (CRM) and ETOPS. I spent many enjoyable hours discussing ETOPS with my friends in United flight operations and engineering. The adoption of ETOPS principles across commercial aviation has lead to improved safety and reduced costs throughout the industry. Inside joke: what does ETOPS stand for? Answer: “Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim…”

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...d-power-lines/
    I remember this happening in Auburn, WA back when I was in high school or college. The southern approach makes little planes go right over a densely developed area with a lot of lines.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interpretation of the sign was "welcome to O'Hare", but I can understand that others might read it another way.
    rw saunders