User Tag List

Page 54 of 82 FirstFirst ... 444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1634

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

I’ll see you and raise you by 200’…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...e777b3fccba581
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irrational fear of flying a balloon…combat audio.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...y-moment-audio
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I’m calling. All in. My flight yesterday from New York to Chicago was quite choppy. Continuous light chop to light turbulence with occasional moderate chop. We lived to tell the tale though my final hair with pigment is now gray.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    ...though my final hair with pigment is now gray.
    Remember, better gray than none... And a turbulent day on the flight deck can most certainly be exhausting!

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Remember, better gray than none... And a turbulent day on the flight deck can most certainly be exhausting!

Greg
    Absolutely on both counts. There was no avoiding it yesterday. It went all the way down from 40'000 down to a reported 20,000'. Went from just west of NY to west of CLE though it improved after that. We started at 280 and went down to 240. Marginally better. Maybe. Just not a nice day to fly. Definitely exhausting. I hate it and will do anything in my power to avoid it but sometimes it's just a fact of life. That said, when I upgrade, I'll be going down to 180 if I have to. Some corporate guys climbed to 43,000' and got out of it. But it's a rare airliner that can go that high. A light 787 or 747 are the only ones I know of that will go that high. And I don't like to get remotely close to that coffin corner.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I’m calling. All in. My flight yesterday from New York to Chicago was quite choppy. Continuous light chop to light turbulence with occasional moderate chop. We lived to tell the tale though my final hair with pigment is now gray.
    Is there a Just For Men opportunity here? Does advertising still revere the dashing pilot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely on both counts. There was no avoiding it yesterday. It went all the way down from 40'000 down to a reported 20,000'. Went from just west of NY to west of CLE though it improved after that. We started at 280 and went down to 240. Marginally better. Maybe. Just not a nice day to fly. Definitely exhausting. I hate it and will do anything in my power to avoid it but sometimes it's just a fact of life. That said, when I upgrade, I'll be going down to 180 if I have to. Some corporate guys climbed to 43,000' and got out of it. But it's a rare airliner that can go that high. A light 787 or 747 are the only ones I know of that will go that high. And I don't like to get remotely close to that coffin corner.
    We really need to go for a bike ride sometime and swap pilot stories. Our experiences are very similar. One bumpy spring day, I was enroute MSP-TEB at FL410 (aviation term for 41,000’) in a Sabreliner. ATC asked if we could climb to 450 to accommodate faster traffic. The temps were cold enough and our aircraft was light enough to accept the higher cruise altitude. Soon after arriving at 450, a 747SP blew past us at 410 with a 50 knot speed advantage. Those 747 classics and SPs were quite speedy despite their chubby appearance.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flying to Paris on Friday 02/03, we went through some of the worst turbulence I've experience as a passenger in a while. A couple of (seemingly) silent "floating" drops amid a lot of side to side that knocked things in the cabin around. Afterwards, the course map on the seat-back screen showed us going much farther south than I remember doing before and then turning northeast to come into Paris nearly from the southwest. I guess we must have gone around it.

I've always wondered why there is so much turbulence over Newfoundland & Labrador and New Brunswick coming from Europe to the US. Is it just the land/ocean temperature differential? Sometimes it feels like driving on a nice smooth road that unexpectedly turns to washboard gravel.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I allowed myself to be big-brothered to the next level.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of me thinks this is really neat, having a screen project out light that differs from one location to another.

Another part of me thinks this is highly unsettling, à la tales of Philip K Dick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to believe they would choose to spend $ on this aspect of the flying experience. Of all the things that suck about flying, finding your flight info is about the least problematic. Yet another example of doing something with technology "because we can".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    It's hard to believe they would choose to spend $ on this aspect of the flying experience. Of all the things that suck about flying, finding your flight info is about the least problematic. Yet another example of doing something with technology "because we can".
    Yes, probably, and I’d guess (or rather hope) that regulations and research into this experience told them to keep it basic for starters. They need to earn trust with this Robert guy before trying other things. He may be a skeptic.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is some irony in the fact that the gate first changed from 61 to 54, finally settling on 47. All in a day’s work and our crew did a nice job landing in gusty winds at PIT.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son is finishing up TBS at Quantico before heading to Pensacola for flight school. He's now being told that 15 of 37 Marines with flight contracts will have to remain for a few months to be company officers for OCS. They have 3 volunteers but the remaining 12 will be picked based on academics, starting with the bottom, academically. He's been skating along academically, now he has to crush the final exam. If he does have to stay, I'm encouraging him to do as much flying as he can with his recreational certificate.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My son is finishing up TBS at Quantico before heading to Pensacola for flight school. He's now being told that 15 of 37 Marines with flight contracts will have to remain for a few months to be company officers for OCS. They have 3 volunteers but the remaining 12 will be picked based on academics, starting with the bottom, academically. He's been skating along academically, now he has to crush the final exam. If he does have to stay, I'm encouraging him to do as much flying as he can with his recreational certificate.
    That's a big deal; congratulations.

A decent bit of glider time would be beneficial too; there's no engine to ameliorate errors in judgement or technique and the stick/rudder/coordinated flying thing comes into very sharp focus particularly when coring thermals.

As I recall from the recesses of my memory, the formidable performance of German fighter pilots in WWII was commonly thought to be in some part down to glider flying.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    That's a big deal; congratulations.

Some glider time would be beneficial too; there's no engine to ameliorate errors in judgement and the stick/rudder thing and coordinated flying and coordinated turns at relatively steep bank angles comes into very sharp focus.
    He's limited on what he can do, but the USNA Alumni Association has opportunities for him to accumulate hours at a reduced cost. He got his recreational certificate between his junior and senior year. His final checkout before his solo was by a retired carrier pilot O-6. About five minutes into his flight, the evaluator asked, "are you Bill's kid?" If he doesn't get some hours this summer, it will be a year before he's in a cockpit for school.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    He's limited on what he can do, but the USNA Alumni Association has opportunities for him to accumulate hours at a reduced cost. He got his recreational certificate between his junior and senior year. His final checkout before his solo was by a retired carrier pilot O-6. About five minutes into his flight, the evaluator asked, "are you Bill's kid?" If he doesn't get some hours this summer, it will be a year before he's in a cockpit for school.
    Tangentially (from pianos to gliders to altitude records, which I found interesting back when I dabbled): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt-Read_TG-32

And I will certainly see him flying over our house once he's in a T-6B; we see'em frequently, and like hearing a C-130 you don't need visual confirmation to know what it is.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaska Airlines tail strikes at SeaTac...two strikes and yer out...30 flights impacted by a software bug.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/t...mpaign=website
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Alaska Airlines tail strikes at SeaTac...two strikes and yer out...30 flights impacted by a software bug.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/t...mpaign=website
    Man, talk about leaving a zero or two out of an equation....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Part of me thinks this is really neat, having a screen project out light that differs from one location to another.

Another part of me thinks this is highly unsettling, à la tales of Philip K Dick
    After reading Robert's post this image from "Blade Runner" immediately came to my mind: