Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Aviation whistleblower, Nevile Shute's book, as movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Highway_in_the_Sky
    I enjoy Nevil Shute and haven’t read this. Planes? Newfoundland? I think I’m in.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I enjoy Nevil Shute and haven’t read this. Planes? Newfoundland? I think I’m in.
    I recall watching that movie as a kid. Who on earth would board an aircraft called the Rutland Reindeer?!

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/u...ight-door.htmlWhy do I feel like my original suspicion that the seats next to the door were empty for a reason is going to prove well-founded? Is it just because I am a naturally suspicious person?
    I can see how perhaps intentionally no tickets were issued for those seats, but since passengers tend to move around and grab more desirable seats once everyone is in the plane (and IMO two empties, one of which was a window seat fall into that category) I think if that had been as a precaution the airline would also have to tell the cabin crew to prevent anyone from moving there. I have no evidence one way or the other that that occurred, but nor I have I read anything saying that "after the fact passengers were commenting on how some guy who had taken that seat was kicked out for some unknown reason that now makes sense."

Finally, they had no reason to suspect that particular area as the cause of the pressurization warnings (which they would have had to have, if they were keeping passengers away from that specific spot) and if they did, that would have certainly been enough to ground the aircraft. (Unless you think HA knew there was a problem with the plug, and yet still flew the plane, which would have been unconscionable and IMO highly unlikely.)

Conspiracies are by necessity complicated, and until we hear differently, I don't think there's any evidence (other than pure luck) that those seats were open for a reason related to the plane's safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son was recommended for proficiency advanced, so he'll get to skip some flights in Primary. He was doing aerobatics and spins yesterday and will do more today. His current instructor is an E-2 Hawkeye pilot that definitely does not do aerobatics. Yesterday, while inverted, a pen fell out of the IP's pocket, was sliding around in the canopy, and fell behind a seat when rolled back to level flight. They ended up inverted again for a minute until they could find the pen. He's having the time of his life.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    About 6 months ago I stumbled upon a podcast called Spybrary, then found they have a facebook page as well. Lots of people around the world, in luding authors, sharing book reviews, head ups and discussion on books in the “genre”. Has led me to re-read Deighton, MacInnes and Ambler to much enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son did a simulated loss of engine landing. The plane is at 14K feet when the engine is throttled back to simulate a feathered prop. He then has to glide the aircraft in for a landing. He said it was one of his best landings.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the discussion of the finance guys rather than flyboys, engineers, and machinists building planes, if you haven’t read Robert Reich’s email today it is here:

https://open.substack.com/pub/robert...hitty-company?

As I said upthread, if it’s Boeing I ain’t going.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    On the discussion of the finance guys rather than flyboys, engineers, and machinists building planes, if you haven’t read Robert Reich’s email today it is here:

https://open.substack.com/pub/robert...hitty-company?

As I said upthread, if it’s Boeing I ain’t going.
    While I generally enjoy Reich's writing, the linked article leads off with two vignettes that, IMO, are red herrings. The 737 missing panel in Medford occured on a 20 year-old airframe. The panel appears to be a composite cover that delaminated over time. This is an operator maintenance issue, NOT a design issue. The LATAM 787 incident is still under investigation, but may have been caused by (a) a loose or broken switch under a cover that was actuated by a flight attendant and (b) a pilot sitting cross-legged at the controls whose lower leg was driven into the control wheel when the seat moved forward. While there may be an update required for the switch guard, this doesn't smack of cost-cutting or mismanagement as a root cause.

Reich's other points about Boeing corporate culture since the McDonnell Douglas merger are correct. Likewise, Boeing culture/management were clearly at fault for the 737 MCAS debacle and the recent Alaska Airlines door plug accident. Boeing clearly needs a major overhaul to their business operations, but journalistic sensationalism isn't warranted under any circumstances.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Reich's other points about Boeing corporate culture since the McDonnell Douglas merger are correct. Likewise, Boeing culture/management were clearly at fault for the 737 MCAS debacle and the recent Alaska Airlines door plug accident. Boeing clearly needs a major overhaul to their business operations, but journalistic sensationalism isn't warranted under any circumstances.

Greg
    True that. But further to your point (and mine), did you see Brian West’s (CFO) bullshit discussion today of the hit to cash they are going to take? All about speed of delivery. All about customer demands. NOTHING about safety, changing processes, etc. I worked with Brian. This is par for the course. GE/ Welch philosophy of taking money is better than making money and the longer term stakeholders be damned. Where I worked with him was at a TV ratings company that he and the Boeing now CEO ran into the ground. But at least there, there were no lives at stake.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    True that. But further to your point (and mine), did you see Brian West’s (CFO) bullshit discussion today of the hit to cash they are going to take? All about speed of delivery. All about customer demands. NOTHING about safety, changing processes, etc. I worked with Brian. This is par for the course. GE/ Welch philosophy of taking money is better than making money and the longer term stakeholders be damned. Where I worked with him was at a TV ratings company that he and the Boeing now CEO ran into the ground. But at least there, there were no lives at stake.
    Thanks for the reference and for your insight into large company finance. I haven't yet seen West's presentation, but the cash hit isn't at all surprising and it shouldn't be to shareholders. Make stupid choices, get stupid results. The larger question: will shareholders ever understand the need to make good long-term decisions (i.e., company longevity, customer satisfaction, commitment to safety, etc.) and not be mesmerized by short-term gains? The entire investing universe seems to have turned upside down over the past 40-50 years. The classic finance models we learned in the 1970s seem to be ignored by current investors.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Thanks for the reference and for your insight into large company finance. I haven't yet seen West's presentation, but the cash hit isn't at all surprising and it shouldn't be to shareholders. Make stupid choices, get stupid results. The larger question: will shareholders ever understand the need to make good long-term decisions (i.e., company longevity, customer satisfaction, commitment to safety, etc.) and not be mesmerized by short-term gains? The entire investing universe seems to have turned upside down over the past 40-50 years. The classic finance models we learned in the 1970s seem to be ignored by current investors.

Greg
    I feel like too many people equate good money with good business. I grew up in the 70s and the people around me emphasized the aspects of good business that contribute to good money but are not directly “paid for.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son did his check flight yesterday afternoon and his solo today. I was watching his flight on the Flightradar app and saw several changes in direction with no apparent turn, then I figured out he was doing aerobatics, and his changes of direction were loops. Anyway, I'm over the moon. He will leave Roswell this weekend and return to Corpus for additional training in instruments and formations. Sometime in May, he'll be told what aircraft he will be flying based on academics, performance, preferences, and what is available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    he'll be told what aircraft he will be flying based on academics, performance, preferences, and what is available.
    Congratulations!

Based purely on what the Navy needs these days, what are the most likely a/c on the list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Congratulations!

Based purely on what the Navy needs these days, what are the most likely a/c on the list?
    He is a Marine, so jets will be F-35 B or C, and multi-engines will be C-130s, Ospreys, or rotary. The idea is to qualify for jets, and you can get any aircraft. If he gets jets, he'll go to the T-45 next. If he gets multi-engines, he'll stay on the Texas coast and fly Queenaires, non-turboprop Kingaires. Helicopter training is primarily in Florida. He wants C-130s, which the Marines use for aerial refueling and logistics. If he gets jets, he'll eventually have to do carrier quals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is the best one yet. My son is back in Corpus to do formation flying. He is the pilot of the plane in the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images