User Tag List

Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I did 4 missions and got one Presidential Unit Citation. I was the Chief Electrician and left as an officer right before Mission 2000. As an officer, I did 3 carriers (68,69,71) and one repair ship.
    Very, very impressive, sir! Thank you for your service to our country, your commitment as a future educator, and for all your contributions to this forum!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airport operations in Antarctica...just like landing in February in DTW, right?

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/t...m_medium=email
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Airport operations in Antarctica...just like landing in February in DTW, right?

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/t...m_medium=email
    If only Shackleton had known that he could have just flown out of there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://beringstraits.com/gat/

Every so often I hear this odd sounding plane with a lot of flashing lights go over the home and I checked it out tonight on Flight Radar 24. No airline name, so I then I looked up the registration number and it is registered to the above referenced link. The flight logs indicate regular trips between two small airports in Johnstown, PA and DeKalb, IL. Hmmmmm.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://beringstraits.com/gat/

Every so often I hear this odd sounding plane with a lot of flashing lights go over the home and I checked it out tonight on Flight Radar 24. No airline name, so I then I looked up the registration number and it is registered to the above referenced link. The flight logs indicate regular trips between two small airports in Johnstown, PA and DeKalb, IL. Hmmmmm.
    Notice any "chemtrails," even though it was flying pretty low? ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a low flying prop plane - a big one - that would follow the same route over Hillsdale. I looked it up on one of those flight apps. Turned out to be a C130 from the NY Air National Guard on Long Island. Our excavator, a pilot, said they were most likely practicing flying a route by sight as part of their mission providing support in disaster areas. Follow a road essentially. Used to go overhead every other week or so. Could not miss it with the big props roaring as it banked west.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-03-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We had a low flying prop plane - a big one - that would follow the same route over Hillsdale. I looked it up on one of those flight apps. Turned out to be a C130 from the NY Air National Guard on Long Island. Our excavator, a pilot, said they were most likely practicing flying a route by sight as part of their mission providing support in disaster areas. Follow a road essentially. Used to go overhead every other week or so. Could not miss it with the big props roaring as it banked west.
    IFR = I Follow Roads.....

The Shorts in question is unpressurized so it isn’t abnormal to be lying that low. Likely a military contractor given the vague name of the owner when doing a search of the registration number.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upstate NY has a large amount of military training overflights. The Adirondacks have many Instrument (IR) and Visual (VR) Military Training Routes (MTRs). When I used to regularly fly over the Adirondacks in the 1980s and ‘90s, it was not uncommon to see B-52s and F-111s flying training missions well below us. They were often so low, you would swear they were mowing the trees. A few years ago, my daughter and I watched a C-17 from the summit of Hadley Mountain. The C-17 was well below us as we watched it pop out from behind the hills to the west.

There are no MTRs near Hillsdale, but two low altitude victor airways bracket the village to to the west and east. Your C-130 could have been following the published FAA airways or simply performing a navigation exercise as Saab suggested.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking out the window early Thursday morning as we approach the Steel City.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pittsburgh is a very pretty place.
    Rivals San Francisco in some ways.
    All the bridges!
    The Point with the two different colored rivers merging has alway been neat to see.
    I remember when they were building 3 rivers stadium when there were huge piles of dirt at the point, walking though and finding ancient handblown bottles in the mud. Long time later, I raced a criterium around the stadium.

Landscape is pretty boring around Dallas now. I miss the burgh. Well, except for the winters.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yikes. be careful out there when we get back to business friends. the friendly skies dont sound so friendly these days!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/faa-warns...192442210.html

In a typical year, the transportation agency sees 100 to 150 formal cases of bad passenger behavior. But since the start of this year, the agency said, the number of reported cases has jumped to 1,300, an even more remarkable number since the number of passengers remains below pre-pandemic levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be flying to SFO from BDL on the 11th, JetBlue. Less than $70. RT less than $200.

There is plenty of crazy on the roads these days. Hopefully none on the flight.

I may well drive back- I have stored the contents of my aunt's house in a friend's garage for longer than anticipated because of Covid. Should be an interesting road trip.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I will be flying to SFO from BDL on the 11th, JetBlue. Less than $70. RT less than $200.

There is plenty of crazy on the roads these days. Hopefully none on the flight.

I may well drive back- I have stored the contents of my aunt's house in a friend's garage for longer than anticipated because of Covid. Should be an interesting road trip.
    Is that a nonstop flight? Or connect at JFK?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Is that a nonstop flight? Or connect at JFK?
    I thought it was nonstop, but there is a stop with no deplaning in Atlanta.
    Take-off
    May 11, 4:37 PM
    Landing
    May 11, 7:58 PM
    Flight duration
    6 hr, 21 min
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airbus A330-300 for the jaunt to SEA from Motown...one of the few perks of flying in a pandemic, is the chance of getting picked to ride up front with the gentry. Still handing out the box lunches and Purell packets, though.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something you don't see everyday. A co-worker was playing with his 2 year-old daughter in their backyard 15 minutes ago. She pointed out a funny looking aircraft overhead. Daddy snapped some pics...

Greg
    B-2 SYR.JPGB-2 SYR2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Here's something you don't see everyday. A co-worker was playing with his 2 year-old daughter in their backyard 15 minutes ago. She pointed out a funny looking aircraft overhead. Daddy snapped some pics...

Greg
    B-2 SYR.JPGB-2 SYR2.JPG
    Training exercises?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Training exercises?
    Very likely. Just surprised to see it over central NY, at fairly low altitude (estimated lower-mid teens kft.), during daylight hours. SYR gets a lot of military training traffic, but usually just transports (KC-10s, C-130s, C-32s).

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An intern at the Bombardier paint shop apparently went nuts with the “No Step” stencil…
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An intern at the Bombardier paint shop apparently went nuts with the “No Step” stencil…
    Bombardier does alright. Paid my rent, light bill and fed me for a long time. If they say “No Step” I won’t argue. Our friends and neighbors in Canada and Québec are plenty savvy. But GDit those FBW surfaces on the upper wing, just aft of those placarded labels, can be a PITA! ;-)

I’d bet a Veloflex I’ve operated that actual airframe and likely into ORD, which you’re departing. Is almost certainly just one carrier.

Where were you headed?
    La Cheeserie!