Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
Oh boy, not looking good for P&W. These were the hollow titanium fan blades and this report says it lost one at the root and another at mid-span. Similar to an uncontained failure in 2018, which ironically happened to the same airplane that these passengers got on afterward. And another contained failure on a Japan Air Lines 777.

UNITED 777-200 UPDATE: FAA TO GROUND AFFECTED JETS - Mentour Pilot
Mentour Pilot is IMHO, by far the best YouTube channel for aviation-curious folks to learn a lot. I love his down-to-earth approach on all things.

As to the "Contained" vs "Uncontained" failure I learned something else yesterday on the Blancolirio channel on YouTube. He's another good one. He explained how these aren't technically uncontained and that the testing of engines for these failures often doesn't include the inlet cowling or even the outer casing of the engine.

I think you have been involved in engine testing and development and obviously I haven't, so I'm not challenging you on this but I found his explanation very interesting. He discusses this and how the broken fan blade likely was expelled out the front of the engine, slicing the inlet ring at about the 3:50 point of this video. He flies 777s for one of the major airlines.