User Tag List

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1649

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Indeed.

The whole getting on the plane is an exercise in selfishness. People lug massive amounts of stuff on and cram into the overheads, irrespective of the gear already up there. I get waiting for a bag at the other end can be a pain, but it would be quicker and easier for everyone if carry-on, all bar the essentials was taken off the table.
    I think we can blame many of the airlines, particularly the 'budget' airlines, for this phenomenon. Charging extra for checked luggage has a predictable outcome.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I think we can blame many of the airlines, particularly the 'budget' airlines, for this phenomenon. Charging extra for checked luggage has a predictable outcome.
    Except that my airline doesn’t charge for checked bags. Same thing. People don’t want to wait at baggage claim.

People travel with far too much stuff and could probably cut their baggage volume and weight in half without too much effort.

In the US there are at least two airlines that charge for carry-on baggage. Honestly this seems more realistic to reduce cabin bags.

As a crew member, when traveling on my own airline, I am not subject to limitations but don’t really have more anyway. 99% of the time that I’m sitting in the cabin I’m on company business to get to a destination to work from there. I have a small carry-on for my essential work-related items but if I could eliminate a few bulky items from that it would fit all essentials for travel should my main bag get checked into the belly and end up getting separated from me. I’d be OK with militant controls of number and size of carry-on baggage but very few airlines truly enforce this.

Here’s one for consideration. Cabin bags weigh XX lbs, by FAA definition. If that cabin bag no longer has space in the overhead bins and has be checked into the belly, it now weighs XX+5 lbs. Makes sense? Clear as mud. But the way they are defined that’s the way it is. It is not uncommon that this becomes problematic for a takeoff limitation where I work from short(ish) runways. The agents on a weight-limited airplane don’t want excessive weight in the belly because by definition it’s heavier even if in reality they are the exact same bags. Why is this? No idea.

Anyway……. I agree that cabin luggage needs to be reduced by half. This would make the whole experience more pleasant. Just as annoying as boarding a full airplane with this is deplaning if you’re sitting in the aft part of the airplane. Getting off can take 15 minutes, what with everyone standing in the aisle and trying to get their giant ocean liner trunks down from the overhead bin.

Flying has generally been reduced to a miserable experience these days from a merely unpleasant experience a couple decades ago.

As for the ATC situation, this will all come out. Flight data recorders and voice recorders will reveal what happened. Just gotta give it some time.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    In the US there are at least two airlines that charge for carry-on baggage. Honestly this seems more realistic to reduce cabin bags.
    That could be one remedy.

Over here, Ryanair, which is an all-round abomination, diligently enforces carry-on luggage limits, but the notion of compliance is vaguely alien on this continent, which in turn causes delay in boarding because the ground staff need to deal with passengers who think they could somehow slip in more than they are allowed.

I suppose that the airlines can impose a smaller dimensional limit for carry-ons and then enforce the rule. However, to be realistic, the rule has to be adopted by all commercial airlines because different airlines having different rules for the same cabin class will be very difficult for consumers to deal with.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Before I retired, my employer wanted me to use Southwest. Most of my flights were to BWI from Vegas and SWA had numerous non-stops each day. Company policy stated that I could get economy plus on flights longer than 1,000 miles, but with Southwest, they paid my early bird fees. I would spend a week or more at company headquarters in northern Virginia so I traveled with a large suitcase and a computer bag. I checked the suitcase and carried on the computer bag. In four years of traveling to BWI, SWA never lost my bags. The only negative was the 7+ hour flight home because of the jet stream. If I'm in a plane for 7 hours, I expect to be in Hawaii when we land. But, SWA can't control the jet stream. SWA has the best gate agents. I saw a guy roll up to the gate with a large suitcase, the same model I checked at the ticket counter. The gate agent was proactive and walked over to ask if he was expecting to take it on the plane. He ended up checking it at the gate, but thought he was saving money by taking it there. Bags are free at SWA. That's definitely a guy I don't want sitting in the exit row.

Back in the day, lost luggage was always a possibility, but with new tags and bar code stickers, tracking your bags on connecting flights is easy. My most recent flights were on American from PHX to Corpus Christi via DFW. We were late leaving Phoenix and with a short layover in DFW, I was concerned about our bags making it. The app allowed my to track my bags, so while waiting to board the flight to Corpus, I could see my bags were loaded on the plane. With all the technology involved and phone apps, checking bags is easy. I can't remember the last time I put something in the overhead bin. If I was making an overnight trip, I might consider a small bag.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like flying to Paris now. All I have is a 20L backpack. It has resulted in some interesting conversations with Uber drivers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    rolling virtual steamer trunks into the cabin.
    If that's the case, then it's the airlines' fault for not enforcing their own rules for size limits on carry-on baggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ending my overhead bag habit was a revelation. Check big bag, carry backpack that goes under the seat in front of me ... so much better. Like bike commuting without a backpack, it feels easier and more comfortable.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 18 December, I clocked 2.5m total flying miles over the course of my business career and flying continues to be a constant battle, in terms of ticket prices, rules, regulations, seating comfort, boarding, delays and fellow passenger courtesy. I have trust in the crews and the equipment or I wouldn't put my family at risk, but the day will come when I lose status and flight privileges, which is what helps to keep the overall experience somewhat sane.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 01-03-2024 at 07:52 PM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I like flying to Paris now. All I have is a 20L backpack. It has resulted in some interesting conversations with Uber drivers.
    Does this mean you are wearing two sets of clothes on the plane?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Does this mean you are wearing two sets of clothes on the plane?
    Hah! Good idea! No my wife has the apartment in Paris so I just keep stuff there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Hah! Good idea! No my wife has the apartment in Paris so I just keep stuff there.
    How many futons can fit on the floor? I think we should query the wisdom of the VSalon on turning this into a VSALON Paris Olympic Hostel....

What say you TooTall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many futons can fit on the floor? I think we should query the wisdom of the VSalon on turning this into a VSALON Paris Olympic Hostel....

What say you TooTall?
    Not counting the recycling/trash shed in the courtyard?

Actually I think we figured out that the road race route goes by a few blocks away. The apartment is in the 16th, "up the hill" from the Trocadaro. But we've committed to two days at Yvelines for the men's and women's omnium.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can bring a sleeping bag in my backpack on the Eurostar provided they are not on strike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can bring a sleeping bag in my backpack on the Eurostar provided they are not on strike.
    Or the tunnel not being flooded.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I have trust in the crews and the equipment or I wouldn't put my family at risk
    It turns out that an acquaintance has been a JAL flight attendant for the last 17 years -- I had no idea what her day job is -- and that is one of her regular routes, just not on that day. She reaffirmed the value of the regular training they do and acknowledged that she is fortunate enough not to have been in a real emergency situation. At the same time, she recognised the passengers' contribution to the outcome and hopes that it will give people something to ponder.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed that you weren't able to sit in an exit row?

Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67899564

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I'm completely ignorant and uninterested in aeroplane models, but that 737 Max has been getting consistently bad rep over the years. Perhaps I should start paying attention to what equipment is being used for the intended itinerary...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The plane was new, having been certified in November, according to the F.A.A. registry of aircraft. It entered commercial service that month and has since logged 145 flights, according to Flightradar24, another flight tracking site.

What are the chances of having nobody seated next to that window? Looks like I’m making a travel plan adjustment for my Alaska flight next Sunday from PIT-SEA, but the optimist in me believes that my chances of an upgrade just increased…

Last edited by rwsaunders; 01-06-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Literally looks like someone forgot to tighten some bolts holding the panel in place. I guess the positive is that there wasn't a chain-reaction with sections fore and aft of the hole. Looks like it pretty much remained restricted to one section.

I think in future I'll be keeping my coat on until we reach cruising altitude.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-06-2024 at 11:04 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books