User Tag List

Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1646

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Didn't quite realize that Eastside Access is now a thing. It and the 2nd ave extension both seemed tantalizingly out-of-reach when I was in NYC.

Speaking of onigiri and train stations, are there now serviceable meal options at GCT at least somewhat comparable to an eki-ben? It's been 10+ years since I lived in NYC, but Penn Station back then had only bland fast food places, and GCT wasn't much better.
    There is a good Japanese grocery called Katagiri on E 41st between Park and Lex that brings the kids (banking kids mostly it seems) at lunch for prepared foods, sushi, soba, ramen and onigiri plus any number of other Japanese lunch options. For office worker chow it is decidedly above average.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is 12/21, and we're at PHX for a flight to DFW. We arrived two hours early, spent ten minutes checking bags, easy TSA, and now we have time to kill. The Clear and Pre lines were longer than the ones us main cabin passengers used. We're driving a car back to AZ after Christmas, so I think I'm done with my TSA experiences for 2023.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landing (bouncing) at Heathrow during VDoug’s storm…click the video in the X link and turn the volume down.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...it-777-landing
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-28-2023 at 06:14 PM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like crew training and experience saved 379 lives from what could have been an even more tragic outcome after the crash between a JCG Dash-8 and a JAL Airbus A350.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    It looks like crew training and experience saved 379 lives from what could have been an even more tragic outcome after the crash between a JCG Dash-8 and a JAL Airbus A350.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
    I spoke to several of my friends in Japan today about this as many are in Hokkaido skiing at Niseko. I said it was a testament to how well the planes are designed that no one was killed. To a person, my friends replies were variations of - 'It's a testament to the Japanese listening and following directions. No one was a selfish jerk and tried to get their carry-on out of the overhead. '

There may be some truth to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I spoke to several of my friends in Japan today about this as many are in Hokkaido skiing at Niseko. I said it was a testament to how well the planes are designed that no one was killed. To a person, my friends replies were variations of - 'It's a testament to the Japanese listening and following directions. No one was a selfish jerk and tried to get their carry-on out of the overhead. '

There may be some truth to this.
    Apparently, the middle and rear doors were also non-functioning, so everyone exited from the front.

Very orderly disembarkation in view of some really dire circumstances.

Otoh, failing doors is sorta the stuff of nightmares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outstanding work by the crew, especially the flight attendants. They train for this hoping it will never happen and hope they can perform their jobs when needed. I can’t imagine the stress of this task of getting everyone out of a burning airplane as quickly as possible. The pilots’ duties are also important but they’re not initially trying to shepherd hundreds of people out of a few doors safely and orderly.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, the middle and rear doors were also non-functioning, so everyone exited from the front.

I think the back of the plane was on fire so it wasn't really an option.

NHK will probably do a full documentary analyzing every aspect of this crash.
    That is what they did back in 1985 with JAL flight 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some misinformation in the press regarding the exit doors. The exit doors were functional, but could not be safely used due to the effects of the crash. The middle (over-wing) doors were unusable because the right engine was still running and both engines were on fire. The crash investigation will certainly ascertain why the engine was still running (i.e., did the crew not secure the engines before evacuating, or were the engine controls damaged in the crash). The rear cabin exits were in fact used, but the slides were at very steep angles because the nose landing gear had collapsed. Passengers using those rear exits were at high risk for injury. As saab noted in his post, this was a case where the cabin crew did a magnificent job and the pax apparently listened to the crew's direction. An amazing outcome from a dire situation.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Some misinformation in the press regarding the exit doors. The exit doors were functional, but could not be safely used due to the effects of the crash. The middle (over-wing) doors were unusable because the right engine was still running and both engines were on fire. The crash investigation will certainly ascertain why the engine was still running (i.e., did the crew not secure the engines before evacuating, or were the engine controls damaged in the crash). The rear cabin exits were in fact used, but the slides were at very steep angles because the nose landing gear had collapsed. Passengers using those rear exits were at high risk for injury. As saab noted in his post, this was a case where the cabin crew did a magnificent job and the pax apparently listened to the crew's direction. An amazing outcome from a dire situation.

Greg
    I wonder if this occurred with a US airline at a US airport, would the results be the same? I picture carry-on bags blocking the routes to exits and lots of selfies. When I fly, I try to reserve exit row seats or seats near exits. I have no faith in my fellow passengers in the US following flight attendant instructions. I feel similar about flights in Europe.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I wonder if this occurred with a US airline at a US airport, would the results be the same? I picture carry-on bags blocking the routes to exits and lots of selfies. When I fly, I try to reserve exit row seats or seats near exits. I have no faith in my fellow passengers in the US following flight attendant instructions. I feel similar about flights in Europe.
    I'm not optimistic about the behavior of US or European passengers in similar circumstances. During the "Miracle on the Hudson" (US Airways 1549) emergency landing and evacuation, some passengers did in fact try to bring their carry-on bags. One account stated that a "large man" took it upon himself to take the carry-on bags from several persons and threw them aside to ensure the evacuation route remained clear. While I like his style, I could see entitled passengers fighting in the aisles to keep their carry-ons while a plane burned or sank. Perhaps a modern take on the old story of Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burned?

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post

Greg
    I typically sit in exit rows for the increased leg room. My favorite seats are the ones with the emergency exit between the seat and one of the bulkheads. I've heard the instructions from the attendant many many times, and one of the steps is to look through the window to check for flames, in which case you are not supposed to open the door immediately. When I saw the images from inside the plane at Haneda of the orange flames outside, I got sweaty because that was exactly the reason for that step! Yikes!!

That flight crew must have been incredible.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry-on bags are the bane of all evil. Planes could be boarded and exited much, much quicker if airlines made people check everything aside from a few small personal items (lap top bag, camera, hand bag etc). The amount of crap people bring on board and try and squeeze into overhead lockers is crazy. I can imagine some self-entitled people in Oz trying to take their carry-on bag in the event of an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing that all 379 people on board the JAL flight got off. Simply amazing.

Given there is an almost Spanish Inquisition when a Shinkansen is a minute or two late, I imagine ground control, the surviving coast guard pilot and the JAL pilot will be asked a few hard questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Carry-on bags are the bane of all evil. Planes could be boarded and exited much, much quicker if airlines made people check everything aside from a few small personal items (lap top bag, camera, hand bag etc). The amount of crap people bring on board and try and squeeze into overhead lockers is crazy. I can imagine some self-entitled people in Oz trying to take their carry-on bag in the event of an emergency.
    Last September, I flew from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Boarding the flight, a woman with a large carry-on was holding up the loading because she could not lift it. The flight attendant, who looked like he had a long day, told her, "If you're going to fly with a carry-on for the overhead, you must be able to stow it yourself." The woman insisted that the flight attendant do it, so he did. He placed it in an empty seat and later carried it to the front of the plane to have it checked. That guy was my personal hero that day. Relying on the kindness of others or demanding that others do things is no way to get through life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Last September, I flew from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Boarding the flight, a woman with a large carry-on was holding up the loading because she could not lift it. The flight attendant, who looked like he had a long day, told her, "If you're going to fly with a carry-on for the overhead, you must be able to stow it yourself." The woman insisted that the flight attendant do it, so he did. He placed it in an empty seat and later carried it to the front of the plane to have it checked. That guy was my personal hero that day. Relying on the kindness of others or demanding that others do things is no way to get through life.
    Indeed.

The whole getting on the plane is an exercise in selfishness. People lug massive amounts of stuff on and cram into the overheads, irrespective of the gear already up there. I get waiting for a bag at the other end can be a pain, but it would be quicker and easier for everyone if carry-on, all bar the essentials was taken off the table.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing that all 379 people on board the JAL flight got off. Simply amazing.

Given there is an almost Spanish Inquisition when a Shinkansen is a minute or two late, I imagine ground control, the surviving coast guard pilot and the JAL pilot will be asked a few hard questions.
    I meant air traffic control in this post. What were they doing I wonder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant air traffic control in this post. What were they doing I wonder?
    A bit too early to pin the blame on air traffic control. There's still the possibility that instructions were misunderstood by one of the planes.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some people try to avoid the checked bag fees by rolling virtual steamer trunks into the cabin. It probably wouldn't go over well if all the airlines got together and said "If it got wheels it isn't carry on."
    Tom Ambros