OK, I'll stop now. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

It's the little things like a complimentary PNW microbrew or the view of a mountain (volcano) on a short flight that help make a difference regarding your perception of service.
    43 across: RABAT
    Last edited by nrs5000; 09-15-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Mahouya beat me to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBC - Future - Stunning composite images show an armada of airliners

This is an absolutely cool photo set of planes taking off at various airports.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airport food has achieved a new level of excellence. "No thanks ma'am...I'll have the oatmeal."
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good read on the BBC for those who find the flying experience to be as frightful as I find airline food to be.

BBC - Future - How to beat the fear of flying
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish that I had this article to share with the smackmonkey who sat next to me last Friday from MSP-PIT. He boarded the plane and prior to take off, promptly dug into a large, greasy styrofoam container of General Tso's chicken, obviously fresh from the airport food court, and apologizing to all who would listen about the smell. The smell certainly didn't stop him from eating the slop and I felt badly for thinking bad thoughts, as he obviously doesn't participate in the VSalon food threads.

BBC - Autos - Food, feet and farts
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish that I had this article to share with the smackmonkey who sat next to me last Friday from MSP-PIT. He boarded the plane and prior to take off, promptly dug into a large, greasy styrofoam container of General Tso's chicken, obviously fresh from the airport food court, and apologizing to all who would listen about the smell. The smell certainly didn't stop him from eating the slop and I felt badly for thinking bad thoughts, as he obviously doesn't participate in the VSalon food threads.

BBC - Autos - Food, feet and farts
    I ride in the back more than most people would imagine and I sympathize with this.

Earphones, good podcasts or music or movies, and eyeshades are your friend.

Use the lav before you enplane, have a bottle of water onboard, don the eyeshades and earbuds. Tune in and tune out. This works best with a window seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to fly on Christmas day, because the tickets are cheaper and the airports and roads are less crowded. I wonder though, are the less experienced pilots stuck working on the holiday, or does the holiday pay attract pilots from across the spectrum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Naah...SAAB will tell you...you should be in good shape.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No fear of flying here, but boy oh boy, my last trip from EWR to IAH was the worst travel experience of my life.

United Airlines can go pound sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I like to fly on Christmas day, because the tickets are cheaper and the airports and roads are less crowded. I wonder though, are the less experienced pilots stuck working on the holiday, or does the holiday pay attract pilots from across the spectrum?
    There was no holiday pay at my last company, nor is there any at my current company. There's probably some truth to the idea that pilots with lower seniority fly on holidays but that's certainly not universally true. And low seniority doesn't mean inexperience. The guy who sat next to me in training has over 20,000 hours, most of them as a captain but when his airline died a few years ago he was starting over at square one. He'll likely be working on Christmas and he's exactly the kind of pilot you want flying you around.

I'm fairly low seniority at my current place but I am not all that inexperienced. I'm flying to PHX on Christmas day if anyone wishes to come along. I was fairly senior at my last company and frequently flew on holidays because having them off wasn't worth the compromises for the bidding for the rest of the month. I'm single and being at home alone on holidays is the worst thing. I'd rather work.

Low seniority and lack of experience aren't the same thing. Besides, some of the best pilots I've flown with were fairly new people. Much better adherence to policy and procedures and a much lower level of overall complacency.

Anyway, you mention you fly on Christmas because of cost. There is no price for safety but I don't think flying on Christmas is any less safe than any other day in late December.

My advice never changes: Fly early in the day and fly direct whenever possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zerohourposter.jpeg
    ^ Naah...SAAB will tell you...you should be in good shape.
    Zero Hour is the source for "Airplane", screenplay is nearly verbatim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going through some family stuff I came across a toy DC-7 my father sent me from Japan in 1960. It got me curious so I checked out Wikipedia:

Douglas DC-7 - Wikipedia

Douglas DC-7 - Wikipedia

It's like new cars vs. old cars; new are infinitely better in every way but I have oodles of wonderment at what humans were able to build and do before micron level machining, turbines and GPS.
    Pressurized, 360 mph cruise, 28,000 ft service ceiling, all via piston engines! And even trim tabbed for straight and level, like a fixed gear, you really did fly it the whole way. Adjusted for the knowledge of the time I, in a way, find that more impressive than what we can do today.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught the redeye this morning from SEA-DTW...connecting to PIT in an hour. I made my usual stop at the Illy coffee shop and my ears pick up a song from the player piano near the fountain...Led Zeppelin's Black Dog.

"Hey, hey mama said the way you move gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove"...the new airport music.

I shouldn't be surprised though, as I built a college chapel a few years ago and the carillon installer programmed Hey Jude to play on Saturdays at noon. The faculty and staff were all over it but most of the kids had no idea.

No kidding, the piano is now playing the Beatles' Fixing a Hole...perhaps I'll have another cofffee.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piling on today. For you air industry and travel buffs, this is the show...PBS's City in the Sky. First episode of a season which just started.

Watch Full Episodes Online of City in the Sky on PBS | Ep. 1 | Departure
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

United captain shows up in street clothes and goes a little coo-coo with the passengers! Nothing irrational about getting off of that flight. The good news is that she was removed and replaced before departure.
    A United pilot ranted about Trump, Clinton and divorce. Her passengers fled. - The Washington Post
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and then, we have this:

WATCH: Man forcibly removed from overbooked United flight | NJ.com

way to go United. wtf are they thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    and then, we have this:

Insane…While banging my head trying to figure what could justify this action, I’m thinking... maybe the doctor’s name was on a no fly list---someone panicked and figured this was the best (and “stealth”) way to remove him, and cover for their blunder...which turned into a bigger blunder! Not trying to make excuses, just trying to apply some kind of logic to a total mess!

I’m also thinking the Doctor & lawyers will take enough $ away from United to pay for private jet rental for the rest of his life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The report that I read said that United was trying to make room for a connecting crew and they needed four volunteers to take another flight. Nobody was willing to get off of the plane so they "randomly" chose this fellow and his wife as two of the folks to leave...United's comments not mine (see below). I hope that the gent gets a lifetime pass on United after this event and I agree that he will receive compensation upon enlisting a competent attorney.

"After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate," the airline added. The chief executive of United, Oscar Munoz, has since made a statement on Twitter: "This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United. I apologise for having to re-accommodate these customers." "Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. "We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve the situation," he added.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    and then, we have this:

Now I have a very rational fear of flying.