Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Fair enough and I agree with this, but, here is the sad part for you - the actual airline is the tail end of this thing - the experience of just getting through the damned airport and actually onto the plane is about 2/3 of the problem.

The actual airline is only 1/3 of the grind your teeth and wan to kill someone experience now-a-days.
    My advice to all travelers remains the same:

• When possible, fly early morning and whenever possible the first flight out of that city on your airline in the morning.
    • When possible, fly direct or at least the fewest connections. And if you must connect, try to connect on the same airline.
    • When possible, arrive early to the airport. Being delayed at the TSA line is not nearly as stressful if you have the time to spare.

Extra tips:

• Bring refillable water bottle. Many airports have bottle filling spigots inside security. That way you stay hydrated (important for fatigue mitigation) and don't need to pay $5 for a bottle of water.
    • Bring snacks. See above on prices.
    • Get noise cancelling headsets to listen to music or podcasts or books or whatever else.
    • Get a spare Mophie or other brand battery to charge some PEDs (Personal Electronic Device) so you're not fighting other people for the local outlet.

These are tips from a 20+ year airline veteran on how to reduce the misery of a normally miserable experience. Other road warriors can probably offer more tips.

But if I can reiterate: Travel early and travel direct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If wonder if the frequent fliers here can notice the lateral stiffness and vertical compliance of aluminum vs. composite-built aircraft

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    My advice to all travelers remains the same:

• When possible, fly early morning and whenever possible the first flight out of that city on your airline in the morning.
    • When possible, fly direct or at least the fewest connections. And if you must connect, try to connect on the same airline.
    • When possible, arrive early to the airport. Being delayed at the TSA line is not nearly as stressful if you have the time to spare.

Extra tips:

• Bring refillable water bottle. Many airports have bottle filling spigots inside security. That way you stay hydrated (important for fatigue mitigation) and don't need to pay $5 for a bottle of water.
    • Bring snacks. See above on prices.
    • Get noise cancelling headsets to listen to music or podcasts or books or whatever else.
    • Get a spare Mophie or other brand battery to charge some PEDs (Personal Electronic Device) so you're not fighting other people for the local outlet.

These are tips from a 20+ year airline veteran on how to reduce the misery of a normally miserable experience. Other road warriors can probably offer more tips.

All good advice. I dont follow the early and direct or the noise cancelling headphones (use regular one with music)

accept a lot of stuff is out of your control.
    When it does get stressful try and do something nice for a person.
    Videos loaded on laptops.
    Get a frequent flyer CC and rack up the point

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought my truck, F150 Lariat with ecoboost just to make road trips with all my stuff. I fly for work, usually Atlanta, Appleton, or Nashville, but if it's my trip, I'm driving. I see Mr and Mrs TMB once a year in AZ and I drive there. I enjoy the trip. I've done some awful airplane trips, spent 32 hours on a plane going halfway around the world with 7 stops, flown from Honolulu to Rome via SFO and ORD, SEA-SAN-SFO-NRT-SIN (seriously), and a few round trips on and off a carrier. My truck has satellite radio and navigation and gets 21 mpg with a big gas tank.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fly as little as you can. Do not believe a word the captain is telling you on how long it is going to take to fix that mechanical. Do not stress about delays and your connections, there is nothing you can do about it.

Lionel at 158K miles so far this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Fly as little as you can. Do not believe a word the captain is telling you on how long it is going to take to fix that mechanical. Do not stress about delays and your connections, there is nothing you can do about it.

Damn you im at 141k miles. You can win this race

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk to customers as little as I can, but when I do I try to tell the truth because when I'm a customer/passenger I want to hear the truth, not BS. The truth is not always pretty. You have the right attitude. Don't stress about things you can't control.

My advice is to control whatever you can control. Passengers generally are stressed because they're not in control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSA Pre-check and Global Entry. I can zip through customs now. It literally took me all of two minutes to get through customs the other day. Pre-check makes security effortless as well. Both security and customs were two of the biggest time consumers but not anymore. Seriously worth the effort and little bit of coin to get Global Entry.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk to customers as little as I can, but when I do I try to tell the truth because when I'm a customer/passenger I want to hear the truth, not BS. The truth is not always pretty. You have the right attitude. Don't stress about things you can't control.

My advice is to control whatever you can control. Passengers generally are stressed because they're not in control.
    And don't bitch about the time it takes for the repair, the paperwork or anything else; it ain't a car, you can't pull over to recheck the work....or that of the last guy. When I hear that sort of carping I, hopefully diplomatically, offer my viewpoint that I don't want anybody involved in aviation to be in a hurry....or to try to get a little more mileage out of the elevator control jackscrew unit.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny related story.
    Some years ago going to a trade show w some company fellow staff...
    Those poor bastards were booked on across cty flight with 4 ( read it, 4 )
    Changes.

Question came to me..do you want us to book you?
    Er, no thanks... I'll fly direct for another $50 or something.

Those poor bastards showed up 14 hrs later... oye, dreadful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    TSA Pre-check and Global Entry. I can zip through customs now. It literally took me all of two minutes to get through customs the other day. Pre-check makes security effortless as well. Both security and customs were two of the biggest time consumers but not anymore. Seriously worth the effort and little bit of coin to get Global Entry.
    Global entry is the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always amazed when people I know - experienced flyers, no less - gloat about how they saved $67 by booking a flight with a layover. Or two. I mean sometimes I know it's not possible to do otherwise (flying out of Manchester, NH? You're going to ORD or EWR 75% of the time) but when it is, I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One time I was with a group from work heading to BWI from ALB - through Trenton despite about the only place you can get to directly from ALB is BWI (and Trenton, of course) but the company had some unnatural attraction to a particular airline who's hub was Trenton. Anyway, we get on the little plane, the pilot does the walk around, looks pensively under the plane for a minute, calls over a couple of other guys and we all get off the plane. There's a big puddle of hydraulic fluid there. Some guy (not in our party) starts pissing and moaning about the decision! My coworker turns to me and in his stage voice says "Hell, if the pilot doesn't want to fly it I'm with him!" So our group went in, got rescheduled on another flight and went to the bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got my Global Entry card. I've been pretty consistently getting TSA Pre-check, but this locks it up.

Yeah, flying is a pain. Both because of the congestion and aggravation of airports, and the boxcar-like nature of a modern airplane layout.

But.

I will never cease to be grateful for the ease with which I can cover fantastic distances. Waking up in Boston and going to sleep in Seattle (just to mention my last trip)? Hell yeah. I never want to take that privilege for granted.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Yep. $85 gets you TSA Pre-Check for 5 years and I believe that Global Entry is $100 for 5 years and includes Pre-Check. As my one kid flies a decent amount, it was a birthday gift. My wife only flies about twice/year, but it's usually with me and I don't want to wait for her in the lines for the "common people"...air traveler snob lingo for the regular lines. Cheaper than AAA but maps and the silver sticker for your car bumper aren't included.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Global entry is the best
    It's good indeed even though the other day there was a line at SFO for the Kiosks !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all good advice.

if you can control your own destiny, which is often times not the case for some business folks, i try and book all my appointments tuesday-thursday. keeping a day at either end of the weekend as a buffer against cancellend and delays flights works wonders to reduce stress.

i also drink martinis at airports frequently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    all good advice.

if you can control your own destiny, which is often times not the case for some business folks, i try and book all my appointments tuesday-thursday. keeping a day at either end of the weekend as a buffer against cancellend and delays flights works wonders to reduce stress.

i also drink martinis at airports frequently.
    Only water at airports. Less lag at the end and significantly reduces my tendencies to homicide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good indeed even though the other day there was a line at SFO for the Kiosks !
    I stopped telling people about it. The less the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the little things like a complimentary PNW microbrew or the view of a mountain (volcano) on a short flight that help make a difference regarding your perception of service.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.