User Tag List

Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1592

Thread: irrational fear of flying

  1. #1001
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Last night I was aimlessly looking at the FlightRadar app and watched a southwest flight trying to land at Oakland, and do 2 go-arounds. I noticed the ground speed as they were supposed to be landing was up around 150 knots, and when I checked the weather obs, sure enough they were landing with a tailwind. Finally, they did a big loop and came in from the opposite direction and landed safely with a speed around 115 knots. So my question is, were the go-arounds part of the planned process of changing the air traffic pattern due to wind direction change, or did the pilot abort the landings and tell ATC they have too strong a tailwind to land in?

  2. #1002
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Last night I was aimlessly looking at the FlightRadar app and watched a southwest flight trying to land at Oakland, and do 2 go-arounds. I noticed the ground speed as they were supposed to be landing was up around 150 knots, and when I checked the weather obs, sure enough they were landing with a tailwind. Finally, they did a big loop and came in from the opposite direction and landed safely with a speed around 115 knots. So my question is, were the go-arounds part of the planned process of changing the air traffic pattern due to wind direction change, or did the pilot abort the landings and tell ATC they have too strong a tailwind to land in?
    I don't have time to investigate this right now, but you can listen to the ATC archive at https://www.liveatc.net/archive.php and see if the go-arounds were directed by ATC or initiated by the pilots.

    Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

  3. #1003
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    FAA "Computer Outage" ?? .... is this thing on?

  4. #1004
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    FAA "Computer Outage" ?? .... is this thing on?
    No NOTAMs is a pretty big thing, probably don't want to be flying.

  5. #1005
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Piledhigher View Post
    No NOTAMs is a pretty big thing, probably don't want to be flying.
    We are reasonably close to some lines of approach to Albany NY (ALB) airport, and I've been outside since 6AM and haven't seen or heard a plane all morning.

    edit: Hah, of course - there's one now.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-11-2023 at 11:59 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  6. #1006
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    I'm fairly sure the FAA has back up systems.

  7. #1007
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'm fairly sure the FAA has back up systems.
    In this case, they grounded all domestic departures for several hours, so that doesn't sound like having a backup for this particular system (NOTAM).
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  8. #1008
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    7,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    I wish that Musk didn't own Twitter, but here are updates from the FAA...still no notice of what caused the outage.

    https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/1613135903010033665
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  9. #1009
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Yes, when I read the Reuters article I was scratching my head. Geographically disparate redundant systems with data consistency are child's play - provided you have adequate funding. We kept the bank within 5 seconds at all times but we spent maybe 1.5x the cost of a single system. If we took a sysplex outage restarts took 30 minutes - we relocated the processing to a different data center in a planned event and were out two hours, 90 minutes of it was redirecting mirroring and validation that all the distributed systems in the site hooked back up. Apparently coding a resilient JVM is an unknown to some. I don't miss hearing "We'll bounce the JVMs and see if it fixes the problem" which was a common phrase but I digress.

    Back to the topic... flying home tomorrow and hope the weather cooperates.

  10. #1010
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Maybe the FAA and SWA can pool their measly IT upgrade funds and come up with an integrated system.

  11. #1011
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Maybe the FAA and SWA can pool their measly IT upgrade funds and come up with an integrated system.
    Maybe the R's can manage to cut the FAA IT funds along with the IRS IT upgrade funds. Then we'd all have longer waits at the airport *and* on the phone with IRS agents. Win win for the R's.

  12. #1012
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    7,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying



    Was anybody flying at 60,000’ this evening?

    https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstro...-046-DFRC.html
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  13. #1013
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Was anybody flying at 60,000’ this evening?

    https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstro...-046-DFRC.html
    Kudos to the website designer for the XB-70 icon!

    Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

  14. #1014
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    6,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    My son finishes up The Basic School in Quantico this March. He then heads to Pensacola for flight school. The Marines are at 35% of what is required in the training pipeline, so he likely won't have any delays in training. He might get "stuck" flying F-35s because that's the greatest need. The Marines have B and C models. The B model replaces the Harrier, and the C model replaces the Hornet. He will have to learn both models and do carrier qualifications. US aircraft carriers usually deploy with at least one Marine squadron. At least he'll be stealthy and have an ejection seat.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

  15. #1015
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My son finishes up The Basic School in Quantico this March. He then heads to Pensacola for flight school. The Marines are at 35% of what is required in the training pipeline, so he likely won't have any delays in training. He might get "stuck" flying F-35s because that's the greatest need. The Marines have B and C models. The B model replaces the Harrier, and the C model replaces the Hornet. He will have to learn both models and do carrier qualifications. US aircraft carriers usually deploy with at least one Marine squadron. At least he'll be stealthy and have an ejection seat.
    I spent a couple of hours yesterday in a flight simulator (allegedly for the F-35 but I'd have no way to know for sure) as part of a team building/educational pedagogy experience. What a blast and humbling experience. A lot going on in a cockpit and many different ways to crash! I have a renewed respect for anyone pursuing aviation especially in the battle space. Good luck to your son.

  16. #1016
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    7,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Near mishap at JFK on Friday with AA1106 apparently crossing the wrong runway while DA1943 was taking off.

    https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1614370783899303938
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  17. #1017
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    6,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I spent a couple of hours yesterday in a flight simulator (allegedly for the F-35 but I'd have no way to know for sure) as part of a team building/educational pedagogy experience. What a blast and humbling experience. A lot going on in a cockpit and many different ways to crash! I have a renewed respect for anyone pursuing aviation especially in the battle space. Good luck to your son.
    My son has flown the F-35 simulator. He taxied to the runway and basically selected "take off". It is a aircraft for his generation. At age 16, he said; "I want to be a Marine pilot." Here we are.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

  18. #1018
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Near mishap at JFK on Friday with AA1106 apparently crossing the wrong runway while DA1943 was taking off.

    https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1614370783899303938
    Yikes

  19. #1019
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yikes
    Yikes indeed. Squeaky bum just reading about the event and listening to the transcript.

    According to this article, ~300 m separation between the two planes at the minimum point of separation. At what speeds do planes take off? ~200 mph iirc? Which would mean maybe 3 seconds worth?

  20. #1020
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Yikes indeed. Squeaky bum just reading about the event and listening to the transcript.

    According to this article, ~300 m separation between the two planes at the minimum point of separation. At what speeds do planes take off? ~200 mph iirc? Which would mean maybe 3 seconds worth?
    I believe that the 300m referenced is the distance between the two planes when the Delta flight stopped on the runway. The Delta crew appear to have executed the takeoff abort very well.

    To generalize, a narrow body airliner takes off at ~150-180 MPH. Takeoff speeds vary greatly based primarily on aircraft weight, temperature, altitude, flap configuration, and obstacles (both natural and manmade) near the airport. Transport category aircraft rely on three "takeoff speed" numbers: V1, VR, and V2. V1 is maximum speed to abort a takeoff. At speeds up to and including V1, the aircraft can stop on the available runway. Beyond V1, the aircraft can safely takeoff within the remaining runway after an engine failure. VR is the rotation speed at which the pilot flying pulls the nose up to the specified takeoff pitch attitude. The aircraft becomes airborne shortly after VR. Once airborne, the pilots use the V2 takeoff safety speed to meet obstacle clearance and controllability requirements with a failed engine. With all engines working, you can blast through V2 very quickly. There are many more subtle variables that play into these "V speeds" including runway contamination (water, ice, slush, snow) and reduced power takeoffs. Yup, most takeoffs are made at less than full power to reduce stress on the engines. Saab2000 can chime in with much more accurate numbers since he currently flies one of the most widely used airline aircraft.

    Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •