Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

I think the way Southwest does the seating makes perfect sense. Nobody 'rushes the plane'. Everybody lines up in order and gets on. They sit down faster. If somebody gets all torqued out because they didn't get their favorite chair it's their problem, not the way Southwest does it. In my opinion we all get on a lot faster because you don't have somebody in row three fussing with the overhead while rows 4-40 wait for them. For some reason, the various algorithms for how to get assigned seat people on are all slower than 'get on and sit down wherever.' I think because for the most part, people don't stop at row 3 when they're not assigned to it but they, after they use up the exit seats, got to where they are out of the way.

Some total outlier because of some guy that spent a little too much time in the airport bar isn't indicative of a systemic issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having never flown southwest, I can't speak directly to the process but I do think it is an airline industry system wide issue that is causing an increase in these types of situations.

Flying today just plain sucks. And yes, I am one of the few who will pay more for a better experience related to flying.

I agree the way other airlines have changed seating policy is stupid. What was wrong with the way it was in the past:
    - 1st Class (hey, they did pay an effin fortune for that seat so they should get something for it)
    - Families with children under 4 (and only under 4). A teenager should not count as a child or other child who can walk down the aisle does not need to get on early.
    - Disabled or others who genuinely need more time.
    - Military in uniform (because they deserve our respect and courtesy).
    - Then from the back of the plane forward.

No more efffin priority because that is what holds up boarding IMHO but this is simply one of many issues that needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I think the way Southwest does the seating makes perfect sense. Nobody 'rushes the plane'. Everybody lines up in order and gets on. They sit down faster. If somebody gets all torqued out because they didn't get their favorite chair it's their problem, not the way Southwest does it. In my opinion we all get on a lot faster because you don't have somebody in row three fussing with the overhead while rows 4-40 wait for them. For some reason, the various algorithms for how to get assigned seat people on are all slower than 'get on and sit down wherever.' I think because for the most part, people don't stop at row 3 when they're not assigned to it but they, after they use up the exit seats, got to where they are out of the way.

Some total outlier because of some guy that spent a little too much time in the airport bar isn't indicative of a systemic issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I have to disagree on Southwest seating: I’d rather have an assigned seat, because I know that’s my seat. The southwest “general seating” didn’t appear to make the plane board faster, in fact the 4 times I’ve flown southwest I thought it was a bigger hassle. once I paid more $ to be “upgraded” to the A boarding group, to ensure my carry-on ended up over my seat, and not stuffed 20 feet away in the next available space. The A-B-C cattle stall lineup seamed very random, as co-workers I was with were all placed in different boarding numbers, even though we all checked in at the same time.

People didn’t go all the way to the rear and backfill, folks still stopped at the front of the plane to grab a seat-so we were still waiting…

The solution: call up the REAR assigned Seats first, then middle, then the front “first class". When un-boarding, front first, etc. So f’n simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, Spirit is at fault because they cancelled flights. And they are liable for compensation. But to riot because of it, no excuse IMO.

I think Southwest does a fine job of getting people onto the plane with little drama. You stage up by numbers and letters outside the door, they call you in that way. Easy, unless you get a moron that thinks the inside of an airplane is like being inside the Octagon.

I don't see airlines treating people like wild animals. It's a process to move a lot of people through the system. I've seen airports and airlines nail it, I've seen others that need improvement. At some locations, I'm amazed at the amount of people that can move through the system efficiently, from the time you park your car at long term parking until you get a rental or whatever at your destination.

I'm putting this back on the passengers. You know what you are getting into, you know the rules. Act civilized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by becomingblue View Post
    Agreed, Spirit is at fault because they cancelled flights. And they are liable for compensation. But to riot because of it, no excuse IMO.

I think Southwest does a fine job of getting people onto the plane with little drama. You stage up by numbers and letters outside the door, they call you in that way.

I'm putting this back on the passengers. You know what you are getting into, you know the rules. Act civilized.
    But the letters & numbers don’t correlate with assigned seats, so it’s like a general admission concert.

Back on the passengers: Agreed. Just behave. Don’t like the rules? Take the bus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not ignoring anyone's personal responsibility to act like a civilized adult member of our world community, flying for most/many can be a highly stressful experience and the airlines should take responsibility to make it less stressful whenever possible.

They do not have an easy job but if they are not suited for an airline customer service role, then they should find employment in another industry. There is enough blame to go around but the airline industry is broken and needs to be fixed.

The current setup of low fares, overbooked flights, and jam them in like cattle with no empty seats business plan is simply not working. Again, I would pay more for what it was like in the past when seats had more legroom, flight attendants were less surly, and people did not get on the plane with all their belongings stuffed into an over-sized carry-on because they are too cheap to pay $25 more to check a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by becomingblue View Post

I think Southwest does a fine job of getting people onto the plane with little drama. You stage up by numbers and letters outside the door, they call you in that way. Easy, unless you get a moron that thinks the inside of an airplane is like being inside the Octagon.

I don't see airlines treating people like wild animals. It's a process to move a lot of people through the system. I've seen airports and airlines nail it, I've seen others that need improvement. At some locations, I'm amazed at the amount of people that can move through the system efficiently, from the time you park your car at long term parking until you get a rental or whatever at your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    But the letters & numbers don’t correlate with assigned seats, so it’s like a general admission concert.

Back on the passengers: Agreed. Just behave. Don’t like the rules? Take the bus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2/6 flights this week had mechanicals. No auxiliary air on this particular flight and the forward toilet door is broken on my current flight. Total delays 2 hours...nobody wins. I joked with the pilot to close the window when we boarded...joking aside, I was on an aborted flight years ago due to a cockpit window opening during takeoff. That was interesting.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouting vacation spots from 34,000ft...
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbia River, south of Wenatchee? I'll bring the Milholland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are good Dave.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad that my pilots were not daredevils and decided to fly around dark stuff.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then there was Ann Coulter's tirade against Delta - Deserved by Delta, probably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine how this possibly could've happened. Aren't the lights on the taxiway a totally different color and pattern from the runway?
    Air Canada flight nearly lands on crowded taxiway at SFO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New procedure at SFO, AirCanukistan gets the rabbit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We spent yesterday afternoon dodging these buggers on the liquid runways of Lake Union.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that the answer to 28 across might be DCT.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have much of a mind left, and what little that remains is apparently being impacted by flying. Yikes.

BBC - Future - How flying seriously messes with your mind
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sorry about your reserved seats ma'am as the previous passenger wasn't wearing his seat belt as instructed...at least you have a pretty view."
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you stick your head up through the door and remind the crew that, “I just want to let you know, we’re all counting on you”, using your best Leslie Nielsen voice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure that you keep fit and trim and do your PT before every flight...

Finnair has begun weighing passengers - Nov. 3, 217
    rw saunders