User Tag List

Thread: Basic gingham button down ss dress shirts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Basic gingham button down ss dress shirts

Hey y'all just looking to stock some basic gingham short sleeve dress shirts

I don't like non-iron; nothing crazy expensive but still a nice shirt - think J. Crew's nicer stuff but for less $ I guess - I'm looking for something along those lines though dare I say it that probably falls around Land's End

Not finding much as I haven't bought this genre shirt in awhile just curious what people are wearing

Would prefer neck size i.e. 15 to Medium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Basic gingham button down ss dress shirts

TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best option for dress and sport shirts at Land's End prices is Land's End.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uniqlo.

Or roll up your sleeves.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fred Perry buttons downs nearly every day for me. Nice quality stuff that can be had cheap enough on sale.

Fred Perry - Men's Woven Shirts - Authentic Collection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a chance on the non-iron Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Very pleased thus far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Cloth. I could not be happier with their process and more Gingham than you can shake a stick at:

Gingham Dress Shirt Fabrics - Proper Cloth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had luck with LL Bean, Lands End, or J Crew. The quality is not great and they do not last. A friend/neighbor used to work for Lands End and said they always tried to match the quality of Brooks Brothers but could not do it at the lower price point. As far as I know, they all only offer non-iron shirts these days.

I have found the non-iron shirts to be really irritating to the skin and they only get more stiff the more you clean them.

I am glad to have found that Brooks Brothers has started to make (aka reintroduce) more of their shirts in cotton (the kind you need to iron but has not been treated with chemicals to make them non-iron). They are high quality and at sale price a great bargain because they last forever. And, they now have several fits (Traditional, Regular, Slim, Extra Slim) with the extra slim not available anywhere else.
    Men's Dress Shirt Fit Guide | Brooks Brothers

I have a 17.5 neck (genetics - not fat) so anything bigger than a slim (extra slim only goes to 17 neck) fits like a dress rather than a shirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the same neck....that and tall/skinny = super bad luck with off the rack. For about the same money as a good retail shirt you get full custom at Proper Cloth. Stepping off the soapbox now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I have never had luck with LL Bean, Lands End, or J Crew. The quality is not great and they do not last. A friend/neighbor used to work for Lands End and said they always tried to match the quality of Brooks Brothers but could not do it at the lower price point. As far as I know, they all only offer non-iron shirts these days.

I have found the non-iron shirts to be really irritating to the skin and they only get more stiff the more you clean them.

I am glad to have found that Brooks Brothers has started to make (aka reintroduce) more of their shirts in cotton (the kind you need to iron but has not been treated with chemicals to make them non-iron). They are high quality and at sale price a great bargain because they last forever. And, they now have several fits (Traditional, Regular, Slim, Extra Slim) with the extra slim not available anywhere else.

I have a 17.5 neck (genetics - not fat) so anything bigger than a slim (extra slim only goes to 17 neck) fits like a dress rather than a shirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the recs. I ordered 4 Charles Tyrwhitt short sleeve 100% cotton slim fit dress shirts today that came out to $35 each (if you purchase 4) which is ballpark Land's End $ for a superior shirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks always has had non-iron shirts - you just had to know to ask for them. They are expanding the line somewhat but it's been a staple for years. O'Connell's and Mercer and Sons both replicate the old Brooks Shirts - the unlined and un-fused collars and cuffs along with proper shirting. They are full but you can have them made with slim body. I grew up on classically tailored measurements so I enjoy a proper full cut shirt anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up returning all 8 Charles Tyrwhitt shirts I ordered because I was between sizes: the cut of the S was great in the torso but the shoulders were too tight; the M was fine in the shoulders but too wide in the body for a slim fit. I thought the fabric was a touch heavy for ss and would have preferred more classic patterns but overall I liked the shirts apart from the fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann View Post
    Brooks always has had non-iron shirts - you just had to know to ask for them. They are expanding the line somewhat but it's been a staple for years. O'Connell's and Mercer and Sons both replicate the old Brooks Shirts - the unlined and un-fused collars and cuffs along with proper shirting. They are full but you can have them made with slim body. I grew up on classically tailored measurements so I enjoy a proper full cut shirt anyway...
    Brooks has always had "iron" cotton shirts. Started getting them as a young lad from the original 44th and Madison store not far from where I grew up in Manhattan.

It is the "non-iron" cotton shirts that have become dominant in the last 10-12 years that I find irritating to the skin. The chemical that Brooks (and others) use to treat the fabric that makes it "non-iron" is the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks has always had "iron" cotton shirts. Started getting them as a young lad from the original 44th and Madison store not far from where I grew up in Manhattan.

It is the "non-iron" cotton shirts that have become dominant in the last 10-12 years that I find irritating to the skin. The chemical that Brooks (and others) use to treat the fabric that makes it "non-iron" is the problem.
    You are correct on the iron. I had the term non-iron stuck in my head. I have not purchased a non-iron shirt any time recently but I have heard that treatment raises hackles on the interwebs. I like O'Connell's as well. I think they are New England or Gitman depending on the shirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I ended up returning all 8 Charles Tyrwhitt shirts I ordered because I was between sizes: the cut of the S was great in the torso but the shoulders were too tight; the M was fine in the shoulders but too wide in the body for a slim fit. I thought the fabric was a touch heavy for ss and would have preferred more classic patterns but overall I liked the shirts apart from the fit.
    Have you found a better fitting alternative? I have similar sizing problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this thread for short sleeve casual dress shirts.

Would love to find something with a size 15 neck

Ordered Charles Tyrwhitt last summer because of this thread but I was between an S and M otherwise I really liked the shirts.

Any recommendations?

ps please no non-iron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Bumping this thread for short sleeve casual dress shirts.

Would love to find something with a size 15 neck

Ordered Charles Tyrwhitt last summer because of this thread but I was between an S and M otherwise I really liked the shirts.

Any recommendations?

ps please no non-iron

TM Lewin?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    TM Lewin?
    Look ok but only saw short sleeve formal shirts with a spread collar.

Looking for button down gingham or plaid w a 15 neck