User Tag List

Thread: Travel wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Travel wardrobe

Finding myself in my late forties, the last of my kids out of the house (in essence) and recently single since my girlfriend left me, it's caused me to reflect hard on myself and my list of life achievements. One thing I find completely lacking is travel...meaning I can count the number of times I've flown even nationally on a single hand. No time like the (near) present to fix this inadequacy, so I've decided to take a vacation to Spain next year. There's no particular reason to have chosen Spain other than I have a friend from high school that lives there and the attraction of a local guide has allowed me to get over my fear. The only language I've formally studied is French, but growing up in SoCal I've a fair amount of Spanish incidentally. Rest assured I will be studying up until my departure, tentatively in March of 2016.

This all brings me to the need to travel smart. I intend to employ the One Bag philosophy for a two week trip. My background is blue collar, but I do enjoy looking handsome and would prefer to fit in rather than stand out. My technical or travel oriented clothing is very limited, but since there's some time I'd like to purchase what I need a bit at a time. I'm willing to pay for quality and features. Knowing the fashion sense represented here at the salon as well as the travel experience, I am humbly requesting your help in assembling the aforementioned. If it helps I am tall (6'-3") and 220 lbs, (though I'll work on that too) and would prefer age and regional appropriate choices. I thank you in advance.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Travel wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    so I've decided to take a vacation to Spain next year.
    Walk the Camino Santiago! You could do part of it in two weeks. I think most people take a month for the whole thing.

The following won't suit for a backpacking trip like the Camino, but have served extremely well in everyday life. I am in year four with a Patagonia MLC (Maximum legal carry-on). It has been across Europe, North America, and through Latin America several times, but looks fresh as a daisy. Can pack anything, indestructable, fits in the overhead bin.

Horny Toad Mission Ridge pants - they come in a long length, are nice, and have a bit stretch for riding a bike or a big Thanksgiving dinner. I've owned like eight pairs. They can be worn with a (slightly more casual and cotton) blazer, or w/ a t-shirt while you play outside.

Bon voyage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knowing where in Spain and with what agenda (clubbing in Madrid? hitting the beach in the south? hiking the Pyrenees?) would help. also, it's Spain, so the fashion today will not be the fashion in six months.

generally speaking, for two weeks and a checkable bag, go with wrinkle resistant stuff and colors that pair well. pick shirts that match both pair of pants (and shorts if applicable) you're bringing. if you are going to clubs or upscale restaurants, i remember the rules being stricter in Spain about having non-white soled shoes. in other words, no vans or flip flops, or running shoes.

or just carry a backpack and go to H&M or Pull and Bear or Zara and buy a few outfits. they'll be out of style by the time you're ready to leave so you can throw them away ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Walk the Camino Santiago! You could do part of it in two weeks. I think most people take a month for the whole thing.

The following won't suit for a backpacking trip like the Camino, but have served extremely well in everyday life. I am in year four with a Patagonia MLC (Maximum legal carry-on). It has been across Europe, North America, and through Latin America several times, but looks fresh as a daisy. Can pack anything, indestructable, fits in the overhead bin.

Horny Toad Mission Ridge pants - they come in a long length, are nice, and have a bit stretch for riding a bike or a big Thanksgiving dinner. I've owned like eight pairs. They can be worn with a (slightly more casual and cotton) blazer, or w/ a t-shirt while you play outside.

Bon voyage.
    Thank you Z.

I am all about relaxing on a vacation. My friend lives in Malaga so sunning on the beach or enjoying a terrace sounds grand. Since this is a first trip abroad I don't wish to have any rushed itinerary, just getting a taste for local color and sightseeing. I am considering renting a bike just for transport and my 19 y/o son will be accompanying me.

Those pants look like the ticket, and yes, a blazer is already on my list. I have also considered the MLC as it's a favorite on this thread.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    knowing where in Spain and with what agenda (clubbing in Madrid? hitting the beach in the south? hiking the Pyrenees?) would help. also, it's Spain, so the fashion today will not be the fashion in six months.

generally speaking, for two weeks and a checkable bag, go with wrinkle resistant stuff and colors that pair well. pick shirts that match both pair of pants (and shorts if applicable) you're bringing. if you are going to clubs or upscale restaurants, i remember the rules being stricter in Spain about having non-white soled shoes. in other words, no vans or flip flops, or running shoes.

or just carry a backpack and go to H&M or Pull and Bear or Zara and buy a few outfits. they'll be out of style by the time you're ready to leave so you can throw them away ;)
    Funny!

Since I'm a mature gentleman, sticking with the classics is more my bag than trying to keep up with the foibles of fashion. Basically it comes down to what I look good in. I'll enlist the help of female friends for that. ;)
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of showing up 'branded' as an American tourist spend the first day shopping with your friend. Get something wild you would never be seen in back home but focus on looking like your Spanish counterpart. Gives you both a great way to get reacquainted and settle in after the flight. Immerse yourself from the second you get off the plane and partake of the local customs. Influences from the Western world won't leave you in complete culture shock.

In your case I'd have to say you didn't go abroad if you don't have to declare something on the way back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Instead of showing up 'branded' as an American tourist spend the first day shopping with your friend. Get something wild you would never be seen in back home but focus on looking like your Spanish counterpart. Gives you both a great way to get reacquainted and settle in after the flight. Immerse yourself from the second you get off the plane and partake of the local customs. Influences from the Western world won't leave you in complete culture shock.

In your case I'd have to say you didn't go abroad if you don't have to declare something on the way back in.
    That is an excellent thought. While I'll still need the neutral basics, I'll definitely leave room to add some local color. You don't think my friend would have a problem being forced to shop...would she? ;)
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For travel pants, I'm a big fan of the Outlier OGs (and their lightweight version). These breath well, don't wrinkle, drape well, and are slightly water resistant. Plenty of stretchiness for biking and hiking but still look great in a dressy situation.

Haven't found the shirt equivalent yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have fun! Sound like a blast, just don't wear white new balance sneakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a one bag kind of guy as well. I try to keep things simple. Pants/shorts that don't stink or require washing, shed grime and water, and look nice. Outlier's offerings hit all these points.

For shoes, if I were you. I'd travel with a pair of comfortable shoes like desert boots, and bring a pair lightweight athletic shoes or loafers.

Shirts - depending on weather, maybe an oxford or two. Some simple T's or polos. Bonus points if they are merino and don't wrinkle or require too much special handling.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Have fun! Sound like a blast, just don't wear white new balance sneakers.
    Yeah, I read that many Spanish clubs don't allow white-soled shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    I'm a one bag kind of guy as well. I try to keep things simple. Pants/shorts that don't stink or require washing, shed grime and water, and look nice. Outlier's offerings hit all these points.

For shoes, if I were you. I'd travel with a pair of comfortable shoes like desert boots, and bring a pair lightweight athletic shoes or loafers.

Shirts - depending on weather, maybe an oxford or two. Some simple T's or polos. Bonus points if they are merino and don't wrinkle or require too much special handling.
    From what I've read so far, Merino is the right stuff. I'll check into Outlier.

This is all hard to balance. Having never travelled I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the information out there, some of it conflicting even within the One Bag philosophy. Well, I'll take my best stab at it and if it's painful...the lesson runs deeper.

I'm also considering Airbnb for accommodations. Many of the hosts get quite good reviews for being friendly and helpful. Sure, if pressed I could couch surf at my friend's, but prices are reasonable and I wouldn't want to miss out on the cultural opportunities or impose on my friend.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid logos.

Though, on the flip side, you'd be surprised at how many Europeans walk around wearing t shirts that say "New York, America" or other such nonsense. Yankee hats abound as well. (Which always amuses me- go Yankees!)
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to learn how to travel light is to give it a go. The good news is that you can buy anything you need if your find yourself short. Prior to having kids, my wife and I got by with a day pack each. Very liberating.

Good on you for going for it!7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like others have said, keep it simple. A few trousers and shirts that can be mixed and matched. Perhaps a pair of Adidas Sambas or some chuck browns. I just got back from Italy and I was seeing chuck browns everywhere. If you bring a blazer, don't put it in your carry on. Wear it on the plane. Doff it once on the plane. This will save you some space in your carry on. And some stylish tees will also come in handy. Cheers.

Guy
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a decent capsule wardrobe guide to follow that even feature TooTall's precious Red Wing's, though the Oxford or Chukka style is more appealing to me. I do like the suggestion of Adidas soccer sneakers. I can't think of anything more apropos for Europe. I can probably forego the cold weather suggestions and have my One Bag.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High-quality, dove gray, thin, WOOL tee-shirts are essential.
    The neutral color will not "print" even beneath white dress shirts.

Laundered in a hotel sink, they easily dry by the morning.
    One can have three and that is plenty since they can be washed and dry so quickly.