User Tag List

Thread: Need recommendation for pre-race group meal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need recommendation for pre-race group meal

V-Salonistas, please give me your recommendations to feed a group of 10 or so dudes that night before a mtb 100 miler.

I have been tasked with the main dish for dinner the night before the race. It must be easy enough for someone with decent, but not advanced kitchen skills.

Ideally it would be something I can make ahead and just stick in the oven the night of (we will be traveling and staying in a cabin, but it does have a kitchen). I am thinking of some kind of pasta bake, but open to anything.

Post your ideas, recipes, successes and failures. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendation for pre-race group meal

A few I've had great success with, feeding groups of hungry cyclists -

1. Giant pot of grain (soak in the morning, cook at night) like barley, spelt, quinoa, freekah..etc. with a few trays of balsamic roasted veggies (cut up a handful of sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets into thumb-sized chunks, toss with chopped onion, garlic, balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper and some fresh herbs and roast at 450f for ~30 minutes, tossing every 10.

2. Taco bar. Get a shitload of tortillas, make a big pot of rice, sauté a bunch of veggies and meat if you wish, and set it up with salsa, cilantro, cheese and let people go to town.

3. Pizzzzza. You can make the dough the day before, enough for a handful of big pizzas (if you want a good dough recipe, holler). Bring a few cans or jars of sauce, a bunch of toppings and let people have at it. You can let one cook while the next assembles and just keep making them until people are satisfied. At the right temperature (450-500f) you can bang out a pizza from rolling to eating in 20 min tops.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octave really knocked it out of the park.
    Whatever you do don't go heavy and do include a killer salad.

Chicken Paprikash is simple to make, served over rice with a big salad is a homerun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Chicken Paprikash is simple to make, served over rice with a big salad is a homerun.
    The official post-Ballers recovery meal.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk