Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWM ISO Lightweight (summer) Jeans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SWM ISO Lightweight (summer) Jeans

For most jeans HEAVY is considered good, but around here (St Louis, MO) at this time of year that means hot, hot, hot. I’ve done some research, and from what I can tell 12 oz / yard is about standard, so in this case I think that 8-10 oz, with emphasis on the lower end would be best.

Anyone found some reasonably priced options? (I’m cheap so no selvedge funny business for me. Anything over, say, $75 and I keep walking, and even that will be a stretch.) Regular cut is probably simplest.

(I did take a look at f.a.’s “Jeans” thread, but that one’s specifically about the heavier stuff, not what I’m looking for today. If this has been discussed already I apologize for the repeat.)

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SWM ISO Lightweight (summer) Jeans

I've pretty much stopped wearing jeans all together in favor of some lightweight, slim fit khakis/chinos/etc. I find them way more comfortable in the 11 month long humid South Florida summer. I know you're looking for jeans, but the answer may be another type of fabric. And since you're cheap, I buy mine at the Gap, usually on sale for around $40-50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, another fabric could also work, as long as it's available in multiple colors, can be machine-washed and doesn't ever have to be ironed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I agree, another fabric could also work, as long as it's available in multiple colors, can be machine-washed and doesn't ever have to be ironed.
    Yep, yep, and yep.

Home | Gap

I just make sure to pull them out of the dryer right away and hang them on a hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second the vote for Gap jeans. They're pretty lightweight, can be had for super cheap, and fit nicely. My only gripe is with their durability. I know they're not designed for it, but I go through a pair in less than a year of short commuting/errand running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Must be the pair of gap denim jeans my wife bought me then, they don't fit in my quads at all. loose in the calf, loose in the waist just barely pull over my legs.

Nevermind riding in them, I feel like I could hulk smash them off once I struggle to get my leg over the bike.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    Really? Must be the pair of gap denim jeans my wife bought me then, they don't fit in my quads at all. loose in the calf, loose in the waist just barely pull over my legs.

Nevermind riding in them, I feel like I could hulk smash them off once I struggle to get my leg over the bike.
    Showoff.

With the khakis I can wear the slim very comfortably. The skinny won't go on no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5'10" 150 in the Gap skinny cut, blew out the crotches of every pair I had. They were surprisingly comfy to ride in, albeit not for more than an hour at a clip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Showoff.

With the khakis I can wear the slim very comfortably. The skinny won't go on no matter what.
    Im not the only one.
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...egs-25111.html

Has me thinking of a new thread.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How far outside the box have you decided you are willing to go?

Dormisoft® Denim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    How far outside the box have you decided you are willing to go?

Dormisoft® Denim
    Wow - good for day wear, good for night wear. I'd never even have to take those off !

Eat too much at Thanksgiving? Undo the drawstring.

Perfect for those who are letting themselves go completely, but can't quite take the last step to wearing sweatpants 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I've pretty much stopped wearing jeans all together in favor of some lightweight, slim fit khakis/chinos/etc. I find them way more comfortable in the 11 month long humid South Florida summer. I know you're looking for jeans, but the answer may be another type of fabric. And since you're cheap, I buy mine at the Gap, usually on sale for around $40-50.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I live pretty close to his apartment. Just a coincidence, I promise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've reached the same point in life and have a pile Banana Republic and JCREW pants with one pair of Patagucci jeans. So check out Patagonia and leave the "as seen on tv" stuff alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    So check out Patagonia
    Ouch.

Just went to the web site and was greeted by a horrible picture of an oil-soaked pelican (or some other poor seabird that looked like a pelican).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what your use/ needs are, but I really like my Outdoor Research "Deadpoint" pants. Available in a range of waist sizes, 3 lengths and two colors. I have some of their other stuff and am very happy.

For something not a jean and not quite a khaki, I also really like a pair of the Prana Zion. If the pocket rubs you wrong the Bronson are also nice (the Bronson short and some Swrve's get me through the hot days).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Not sure what your use/ needs are
    I'm an enginerd in a casual office environment working for a big company. Ages ago we all used to wear dress pants, long-sleeve shirts and ties, but about 15 years ago the company went casual (except for the big-wigs) and now 99.9999% of the engineers wear jeans or Dockers-type stuff.

Aside: it was interesting to see how people I'd interact with after work started treating me differently when I switched to casual dress, but the hassle of the more formal stuff was way more then the minor benefit of getting a bit more respect by standing out as a professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have directly linked you to the lightweight jeans where the worst exposure to their corporate nuanced realpolitik would have been this,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patagonia's fit has gone decidedly unathletic. I've stopped buying pants from there because everything is way to "regular" fit. Even their originally great All-Wear shorts have leg openings the size of my waist now. I can only figure that most of their customers are over 200lbs now.

I like the Outlier pants I got but they never seem to have the same thing twice and they only seem to sell the ones I like in 34" inseam and getting a pair of trouble free lightweight pants seems to run counter to having them tailored, especially with this fabric which is great but requires some sewing finesse to look right.

Look at Swrve and Nau for other options. Most of these smaller companies have their own ideas on what a 30" waist means, ranging from 28" to 31.5". And rise is also variable. So you just have to plan on returning things until you give up or get the right size.

So basically I just end up wearing J.Crew lightweight chinos in their 770 fit. Trim, reasonably presentable, minor size variation and good for travel.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well aren't I just full of awful suggestions; pajama pants and faux adventure couture.

Their deal for some time now has been shooting a different load of buckshot every season. Very much a 'if you don't like the weather wait a minute' situation. So I'm not surprised to hear the fit and styling is way off in some corner right now. Trying surfer pants was the last idea I could think of besides pulling on something made in a sweatshop during downtime for a five and dime in smalltown USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast