Thread: SWM ISO Lightweight (summer) Jeans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SWM ISO Lightweight (summer) Jeans

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Well aren't I just full of awful suggestions; pajama pants and faux adventure couture.

Their deal for some time now has been shooting a different load of buckshot every season. Very much a 'if you don't like the weather wait a minute' situation. So I'm not surprised to hear the fit and styling is way off in some corner right now. Trying surfer pants was the last idea I could think of besides pulling on something made in a sweatshop during downtime for a five and dime in smalltown USA
    No, your suggestion should be a good one. They've had excellent pants for quite a while, but I hear that Yves Chouinard is more directly involved with the company again and he definitely has some particular ideas about how things should go. I think they are shifting their branding away from urban outdoor types towards something more Colorado/California and perhaps even towards a younger demographic. For instance, there were a few items last year that did not come in black - horrors, right? But if it isn't black, no one in NYC is going to buy it, especially if it is outer wear, because it just ends up getting streaked with charred nuclear fallout or whatever. And not that NYC is the end all be all, but Patagonia did reign supreme as fit dad-wear for a number of years here. Now you see Nau, Archteryx, Outier, Rapha - brands that are all about trim fits, athletic fits, etc. So as everything goes, so does Patagonia.

I do see that Outlier has their Slim Dungarees and their 60/30 Chinos in stock (in some sizes.) Those are both kick-ass pants. A bit spendy, but they are nicely made, wear well and good for summer.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I do see that Outlier has their Slim Dungarees and their 60/30 Chinos in stock (in some sizes.) Those are both kick-ass pants. A bit spendy, but they are nicely made, wear well and good for summer.
    Just to reiterate - Outlier makes some pretty awesome stuff. I only wear Outlier pants and shorts now (except for a pair of Proof shorts, which are basically the same thing).

If you want to knock a few bucks off the older model of the Slim Dungarees and you're a size 32, 34, or 35, the 2014 version is going for $168.
    OUTLIER Webshop: Discontinued
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I got some Dickies duck cotton pants to work CX Nats in and they became my favorite pants. After they initial wash, they soften up a good bit. Through the winter, I wore them multiple times a week. Work, bike work, around town. Wish I could've found some more.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Mountain Khakis. Khakis for Men | Men's Khaki Pants, Convertible Short Pants & Outdoor Clothing Dressy enough for the office, but the nerds won't think you are trying to be their boss.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Mountain Khakis come in their "Broadway" fit which is trimmer and straighter.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Among my existing collection of khaki's I have a pair of these:

ROCKIN' SPORT PANT - M-0620-56 by: Gramicci - gramicci.com

Nice pants, but the front pocket openings are located such that if you're not careful when you sit down in a chair with arms the opening gets caught and tears at the ends. A pretty poor design, IMO.

You'd think they would try them out first, before settling on the final configuration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm partial to the Stretch Jeans from Uniqlo. Inexpensive at $39.90, skinny fit, long wearing, and they will hem them in the store for free. They are by far the most comfortable jeans (and you can get them in a bunch of different colors as well) that I've ever owned.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Among my existing collection of khaki's I have a pair of these:

ROCKIN' SPORT PANT - M-0620-56 by: Gramicci - gramicci.com

Nice pants, but the front pocket openings are located such that if you're not careful when you sit down in a chair with arms the opening gets caught and tears at the ends. A pretty poor design, IMO.

You'd think they would try them out first, before settling on the final configuration.

Pockets are designed like that because the pants are made to be worn with a climbing harness. Got to be able to get to your rollies at a hanging belay once your buddy is out of sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Pockets are designed like that because the pants are made to be worn with a climbing harness. Got to be able to get to your rollies at a hanging belay once your buddy is out of sight.
    Thanks for the clarification. They were a birthday gift to me from my sister last year. I'll tell her that in the future she'll have to give me the low-down on the lifestyle I'm supposed to be living for each of her presents.

Maybe this year she'll give me a tie-dye shirt...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean his pants. This is a pants thread. Are you up to that amount of action?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wearing Outlier Futureworks and love them. I wear them a couple of times a week. I ride in them and they seem pretty durable, love the fit too.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this thread because I just ordered some of these:

Men's Ballroom Midweight Jeans - Duluth Trading

from Duluth Trading. They're made using 10 oz denim instead of the usual 12-14 and up. We'll see how they work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm bumping this old thread (again) because I'm still not happy with my current inventory of lightweight denim, so I've just ordered a few pairs of "Indigo Alpha" jeans described as "lightweight" (from Amazon). We'll see how then turn out.

However, if anyone out there has found something else over the six years since I first posted my question, feel free to chime in with the new intel.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Virginia the jeans largely stay in the dresser for the summer unless you’re seriously concerned about looking cool or there will be ample AC.

Find yourself some lighter weight khakis etc. if long pants are a must.

I’m fine with t shirts or Hawaiian shirts with seersucker. Don’t tell anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I'm bumping this old thread (again) because I'm still not happy with my current inventory of lightweight denim, so I've just ordered a few pairs of "Indigo Alpha" jeans described as "lightweight" (from Amazon). We'll see how then turn out.

However, if anyone out there has found something else over the six years since I first posted my question, feel free to chime in with the new intel.

Thanks
    Not sure if I posted anything.

Patagonia Twill Jeans

Patagonia Straight Fit Jeans

Neither pair of pants is really made out of denim. The latter are a sorta-denim developed by Patagonia to be lighter-weight and have a dye process that is environmentally friendly. The former are lightweight twill with jeans-style pockets and seams. But both are good, long-wearing pants. With a bit of stretch built in.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12