Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Filters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Water Filters

I just broke my third faucet-mounted water filter in about 2 years. The knob/selector is the worst engineered human interface: entirely plastic, stiff and prone to snapping off after repeated use.

I'm looking for an alternative solution, preferably one that does not involve a lot of plumbing. I think it's time to abandon this product.

My water, though rated "high quality" by the local water Dept, tastes noticeably better after filtration. My wife wants to go with a pitcher filter but the notion of having to fill it and having it sit in the fridge bugs me.

Does anyone use an under-the-counter filter and is it terribly complicated to install and maintain?

Thanks
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Water Filters

I have a reverse osmosis under the counter system. I didn't install it but it looks pretty easy. It's the 2nd time I've had one in my house.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just replaced my old Britta with the model in the picture. I thought the exact same thing about the new style selection lever; you'd think Britta could increase the price a few cents and add a more substantial knob. Planned obsolescence...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ 1 on the under-sink reverse-osmosis system if you want to move up to the next level. They have their own dispensing spigot, sort of like a soap thingy.

However, they aren't maintenance free - you will need to change the cartridges every now and then.

I should mention that I don't bother to use mine, and instead buy water in 3-gallon jugs at the grocery story. It does get to be a hassle in the summer, when I drink a lot more, but I have no clue what's coming out of my well, and would rather trust the municipal water that's filtered by the dispensing machine at my local store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have a plain old activated charcoal filter under the sink on the cold water line. My MIL had a reverse osmosis unit in her house, I hated listening to it waste water

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    + 1 on the under-sink reverse-osmosis system if you want to move up to the next level. They have their own dispensing spigot, sort of like a soap thingy.

However, they aren't maintenance free - you will need to change the cartridges every now and then.

I should mention that I don't bother to use mine, and instead buy water in 3-gallon jugs at the grocery story. It does get to be a hassle in the summer, when I drink a lot more, but I have no clue what's coming out of my well, and would rather trust the municipal water that's filtered by the dispensing machine at my local store.
    We HAVE to use one in Camp Verde, AZ as it has some of the highest natural arsenic levels in the world, as well as nitrates from a previous cattle ranch & heavy lime.

A yearly cartridge change is done my the company yearly, and it's not very expensive.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    We HAVE to use one in Camp Verde, AZ as it has some of the highest natural arsenic levels in the world, as well as nitrates from a previous cattle ranch & heavy lime.

A yearly cartridge change is done my the company yearly, and it's not very expensive.

- Garro.
    The logic of using a water filter has always alluded me. Since all the concerns regarding the dangers of drinking water fall into the "what if" category:

What if after 11.5 months of accumulating and concentrating all these deadly poisons your filter develops a leak? Would a surge of the concentrate not be considerably more dangerous than a tiny bit everyday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    The logic of using a water filter has always alluded me. Since all the concerns regarding the dangers of drinking water fall into the "what if" category:

What if after 11.5 months of accumulating and concentrating all these deadly poisons your filter develops a leak? Would a surge of the concentrate not be considerably more dangerous than a tiny bit everyday?
    I take it you don't know anything about Arsenic, so here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic

One spring has so much arsenic that it supports at least 5 endemic species, including free swimming leaches that raise their young…………a tiny universe unto itself!

Montezuma Well - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The under the sink mount is no big deal to install if your sink has a hole for the spigot. Just make sure that you place it in a location were you can get to it to change the filter.

I just use a charcoal one and use Amazon's subscribe and save to send me filters every few months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you don't know anything about Arsenic, so here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic

One spring has so much arsenic that it supports at least 5 endemic species, including free swimming leaches that raise their young…………a tiny universe unto itself!

Montezuma Well - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Garro.
    How does this information mediate the concern of concentrating the bad stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does this information mediate the concern of concentrating the bad stuff?
    WTF are you talking about?

Do you have a point to make or advice to the OP?

Or is this all hypothetical pseudoscientific BS?

Dilution is the solution.

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF are you talking about?

Do you have a point to make or advice to the OP?

Or is this all hypothetical pseudoscientific BS?

Dilution is the solution.

- Garro.
    You are absolutely correct when you say dilution is the solution.

Where the F do you think all the arsenic and nitrates are going. After 11 months you are betting your life on that filter that is now slam a$$ full of crap.

I'm more than willing to not change the oil filter on my car for months and months but I will be damned if I'm drinking water that has intentionally being ran thru a concentration of arsenic.

But that is just me and my pseudoscientific BS speaking.

Of course all this assume that the filter actually traps anything to begin with.

P.S. OP I'm very sorry this is happening to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where the F do you think all the arsenic and nitrates are going. After 11 months you are betting your life on that filter that is now slam a$$ full of crap.

I'm more than willing to not change the oil filter on my car for months and months but I will be damned if I'm drinking water that has intentionally being ran thru a concentration of arsenic.

Of course all this assume that the filter actually traps anything to begin with.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_consequences

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. OP I'm very sorry this is happening to you!
    The filter doesn't trap anything. Reverse osmosis systems diverge some of the water flow through a semi-impermeable membrane. Anything that doesn't make it through the membrane and a portion of the water itself gets diverted towards the drain/waste water/septic tank. There isn't anything being accumulated in the filter itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up drinking water out of a hose, with my only concern being whether or not there was dog crap on it.

My wife, on the other hand, will not drink tap water unless there is no option remotely available. End of discussion. We considered getting a filter of some sort for the water line, but never went through with it. Our fridge runs the water through a charcoal filter and that's sufficient for wifey.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I grew up drinking water out of a hose, with my only concern being whether or not there was dog crap on it.

My wife, on the other hand, will not drink tap water unless there is no option remotely available. End of discussion. We considered getting a filter of some sort for the water line, but never went through with it. Our fridge runs the water through a charcoal filter and that's sufficient for wifey.
    We have a well and get our water tested once a year - for everything... bugs (i.e., from the aforementioned dog crap or our septic tank), arsenic, metals, what have you.
    Place in town does it for about $50. Other than an outrageous level of iron which we have mitigated through a traditional (salt) softener system, nothing too crazy. Northern New England is known for extremely high iron/manganese and fairly low pH. Not bad for you, but bad for plumbing and staining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    The filter doesn't trap anything. Reverse osmosis systems diverge some of the water flow through a semi-impermeable membrane. Anything that doesn't make it through the membrane and a portion of the water itself gets diverted towards the drain/waste water/septic tank. There isn't anything being accumulated in the filter itself.
    Thank you for an informative response. While it is often much easier to just attach a random Wiki link, a simple, well reasoned response is much more effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post

Once you've tasted the runoff of melting glaciers no other water will suffice. I have my water bottled on top of Mendenhall Glacier and flown to Miami each week. Ok, maybe not, but it really is some tasty water. We have a fridge with a built in filter too and it's fine. Or I'll just use the tap water. Short of drinking from a canal, I can't say I'm all that picky about my water source.

Bob, I used to have one of those sink mounted filters and, like you, I managed to break it a couple times. I also find the pitchers to be a pain. It would become a game of leaving just enough water in it so the next person that used it had to do the filling. Go with one of the under sink jobs that will be easy to use once it's in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Once you've tasted the runoff of melting glaciers no other water will suffice. I have my water bottled on top of Mendenhall Glacier and flown to Miami each week. Ok, maybe not, but it really is some tasty water. We have a fridge with a built in filter too and it's fine. Or I'll just use the tap water. Short of drinking from a canal, I can't say I'm all that picky about my water source.

Bob, I used to have one of those sink mounted filters and, like you, I managed to break it a couple times. I also find the pitchers to be a pain. It would become a game of leaving just enough water in it so the next person that used it had to do the filling. Go with one of the under sink jobs that will be easy to use once it's in place.
    Lots of municipalities have outrageously good water. NYC, I believe, is particularly notable for their outstanding water, both in terms of taste and content. It's really amazing what public works can achieve, even when their budgets are being slashed. Unsung heroes, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for an informative response. While it is often much easier to just attach a random Wiki link, a simple, well reasoned response is much more effective.
    I tried that:

- Garro.
    See, we NEED to live on R/O = we are downstream from a copper smelter.

I guess I could have come up with something snarky like:
    "Can you run a screwdriver?"

But yes - it's quite simple, and as mentioned forces the water molecules through a series of membranes with openings smaller then (most) contaminants.

We couple this with a charcoal filter.

Have a nice day & happy drinking
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast