Thread: Concerts you are going to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Concerts you are going to

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Going to be a good show with Sarah Borges there too. "Are you still takin them pills?"
    The original version by Noel McKay and Brennen Leigh is pretty great.

And the bluegrass version too:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woof. The bluegrass version is stripped to the bone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drive-By Truckers this Saturday at the 9:30 in DC.
    I've seen them a bunch and they always rock. Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a bit of a drought, three in a week.

- Altan at the Proctor's Passport Series, free show Thursday night (same people that do the free summer shows in the park)

- Annie and the Hedonists at the Van Dyck Friday night

- Roseanne Cash at the big opening of the Universal Preservation Hall in Saratoga Saturday night

Well, you know who she is... but in case not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a lot of shows on the docket this year. I'm going to go broke...

Started off with Radkey Columbia, MO in January. Saw GZA a few weeks ago in Iowa City. Next up is Heart Bones in East Moline, IL on Saturday night. Murder by Death on 3/11 and then Radkey again on 3/12, both in Des Moines. Sturgill Simpson for my birthday on 4/10 in Madison, WI. Animals as Leaders in Des Moines on 4/16. Gogol Bordello possibly on 5/12 in DSM... Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit on June 20 in East Moline. Finally, Hinterland Music Festival with Tyler Childers, Of Monsters and Men, etc 7/31-8/2 south of Des Moines. There will be more, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to A Good Lookin' Tour tomorrow night just north of ATL to see the great Tyler Childers and Sturgill Simpson. I am so, so, so pumped. Going with my wife and little sister and brother in law.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw Marty Stuart at a small theater in Northhampton, Ma.
    Great show... Rocked the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Black Crowes have reunited and are playing Shake Your Moneymaker this summer.
    Going to see them in VA, and maybe NJ.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saw michael pollan talk last night, seeing my lady friend's band play tonight, and seeing wilco in portland in 2 weeks.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    The Black Crowes have reunited and are playing Shake Your Moneymaker this summer.
    Going to see them in VA, and maybe NJ.
    Huge Crowes fan here... I wouldn't really call the Black Crowes "reunited" since the only people from the band playing these shows are Chris and Rich. Very disappointed they basically hired a bunch of musicians to play on this tour rather than actually getting the band back together. Of course, if you asked Chris & Rich they would say they are the band and nobody else matters -- which I completely disagree with.

That being said, I will still be there! A bunch of us are planning on going to the Jiffy Lube show. We are all waiting until the last minute to buy lawn tickets as we question whether the tour will make it that far due to either poor ticket sales or the brothers Robinson fighting.

They played the 9:30 last time they were here. The venues booked for this tour seem wildly optimistic about ticket sales.

9:30 = 1,200 capacity
    Jiffy Lube = 25,262 capacity

I will also add if you are a Crowes fan and have not yet read Steve Gorman's new book "Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of the Black Crowes -- A Memoir" you really should. It's excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Huge Crowes fan here... I wouldn't really call the Black Crowes "reunited" since the only people from the band playing these shows are Chris and Rich. Very disappointed they basically hired a bunch of musicians to play on this tour rather than actually getting the band back together. Of course, if you asked Chris & Rich they would say they are the band and nobody else matters -- which I completely disagree with.

That being said, I will still be there! A bunch of us are planning on going to the Jiffy Lube show. We are all waiting until the last minute to buy lawn tickets as we question whether the tour will make it that far due to either poor ticket sales or the brothers Robinson fighting.

They played the 9:30 last time they were here. The venues booked for this tour seem wildly optimistic about ticket sales.

9:30 = 1,200 capacity
    Jiffy Lube = 25,262 capacity

I will also add if you are a Crowes fan and have not yet read Steve Gorman's new book "Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of the Black Crowes -- A Memoir" you really should. It's excellent.
    I had not been following exactly which of the band members are in the re-constituted group, but hearing that album live again for the first time since I last saw them (mid-90s?) will be fun no matter the makeup.

Will check that book out.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Robyn Hitchcock show at The Chapel

IMG_20200303_192458.jpg

A guy next to me was from Philly and thus beat me in distance traveled.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw Roseanne Cash at the UPH grand opening in Saratoga last Saturday night to finish up the three shows in three nights run and she was great. The guy that sat next to me and sang along didn't have quite as good a voice. Why the hell do people do that? I came about two seconds from using Rowdy's "You could have saved me a shit ton of money if you just came over to my house and sang for me" but finally one incredulous stare shut him the hell up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dropkick Murphys are doing a free show today @ 6:00 live from an empty Fenway Park.
    Special guest Bruce Springsteen is joining them for a couple songs.
    Will be interesting to see what this looks like...

Streaming Outta Fenway | Free Livestream | Dropkick Murphys

Dropkick-Murphys-Fenway-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then. This summer's series highlights... Jontavious Willis opening a three act show that was headlined by Vanessa Collier. Fingerpicking country front porch blues by a young man that is a very old soul. Vanessa Collier blew the doors off the place - no mean feat when the venue is an outdoor stage in the park. Her guitar player, Laura Chavez... under a big floppy hat, behind big dark glasses, wielding an old battered Telecaster... in Vanessa's words "one bad wammer jammer". The two of them trading back and forth was just crazy.

Eileen Ivers. "Oh, Celtic fiddle. OK, reels and such. Maybe I'll get up and do that stupid step dance diddle daddle." Uh uh. She lit the place on fire. No mean feat when... you get the idea. Killer was when her band left the stage and she soloed by sampling and looping and pulling out some serious effect pedals.

Last weekend Aditya Prakash Ensemble took me across the world if I closed my eyes. When he improvised Karnatic singing in a duet with the violin player I was completely transported without leaving my chair.

On the horizon is Cedric Watson and Bijou Creole in the park Sunday, Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore at the Egg, Trombone Shorty at the Egg and down the road a piece Marty Stuart at the Egg.

Karen bought tickets to the winter series done by the same people who do the park series. One show is Portugese Fado. I am really excited. A thousand years ago, before we met, Karen rode a bike around Portugal and listened to Fado at night in the cafes. She said I have to hear this music and now I will.

Soon the old Van Dyck will again be presenting shows right here in town. It just keeps getting better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aditya Prakash is great!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Eileen Ivers.
    Thread Drift: For maybe a half dozen years in the 1990s I was the stage monitor engineer for an annual Irish music festival at Stonehill College in MA, and Eileen Ivers was a regular performer there. Her bands were always phenomenal: talented, versatile, sensetive, and electrifying. Great players all around. I'd go see her any time!