Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axe/Maul/Hatchet for wood splitting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Axe/Maul/Hatchet for wood splitting

We lost two big ash trees to the Ash Borer and they got taken down during the winter. The tree crew cut and split the wood. I just stacked the wood (holy crap was that a lot of work) but I need to turn some of the wood into kindling. Do I need an axe or a maul or a hatchet? The wood is about 14" long and is quartered more or less. I went to the Home Depot but no-one had any clue. HD stuff OK quality? We have a chain in Canada called Princess Auto that sells pretty much the same stuff as Habor Freight in the US, their stuff OK?

Lee Valley sells some Granfors, hand forged axes for about 5 times the price or HD axes. Anyone use these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Axe/Maul/Hatchet for wood splitting

Let it dry.
    Get a maul. Don't spend a lot.
    You can take small pieces off fairly easily to use for kindling once you get the hang of swinging the maul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, maul and wedge. Axes are great and all but a maul won't sever your toes when you daydream.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do a lot of wood splitting. Like a lot. Just split and stacked a few large elms taken down on my property last year - close to two cords between the two of them. Usually I hand split 4ish cords a year.

My advice:

Don't get the bespoke $149 wood splitter. You'll trash it after a while, just get a wood splitting maul from your local Loewe's Depot that's of reasonable quality and replaceable. Unless you want to be really sore or want to demonstrate to the missus how much of a manly man you are, stick with a 6 lb; 8lbs are a little overkill. Remember, it's the velocity behind the maul that creates the popping action that starts the splitting that matters more than the weight of the maul head. Don't get anything "dual purpose" - a splitting wedge is what you want.

It does not matter how dry the wood is to split (of course you will want it to be as dry as possible to burn.) In fact I find that some species split easier when they're green. The sooner and finer you split it, the faster it will season.

Also get a splitting wedge for those tree sections near the base of the tree that won't split easy. Here, you'll want to use Mr. Sledgey of your choice.

When you get good at handling the maul, choke up on the handle like you're a kid with a baseball bat and use the maul this way to split kindling. Another argument not to go with the He-Man maul. You'll get to know which pieces will split easily and which won't (split on the other end if there is a knot near one end); kindling is best split from straight pieces with long grain.

You'll get the hang of the big stuff as well as the kindling; practice makes perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might also suggest that you get one of those plastic collars for right under the maul on the handle. Until you find your stroke and figure out how to control exactly where that thing's going to fall, you run the risk of having to run back to the hardware store that same afternoon to replace the handle. (Not that I had to do that or anything.)
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And get a second wedge. For when the first one gets stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gah, jumped the gun a little - see that you want to just split the quartered wood into kindling. Still, though, given the choice of an axe, a hatchet, and my splitting maul, I'll always use the maul to split kindling. Just hold it near the head and use it to "pop" small sections. Finesse is your friend, not force.

Hatchets and axes don't have the proper head shape to split the kindling down the length of the wood- they are designed, for the most part, to chop things across the grain. Splitters and mauls have a uniquely shaped head that pops the wood open, works for kindling just as well. An axe/hatchet will just sink into the grain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Estwing makes a pretty good little splitting maul. Basically a short splitting maul. I have split a shit ton with one, the handle is integrated, so no breaking it off. About $25, so you aren't paying some Etsy artisan a years wage for hand filing with a toothbrush. Cheap and adequate, also pretty available at your box store.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend you pick up a Fiskars Wood Splitting Axe. I split plenty of wood with mine.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I recommend you pick up a Fiskars Wood Splitting Axe. I split plenty of wood with mine.

-Joe
    Another good one that won't break the bank. Good call
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe is right about the Fiskars splitting maul OR the axe. I've dispatched countless rounds of wood with both and honestly the axe is good for 90% of what I split and the maul is for "fun".

That said, you need to waste some $$ on a Gransfors Splitting Hatchet for kindling and heck, just to own it. They hold an amazing edge and are beautifully designed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wear ear and eye protection. I messed up my ear splitting wood.. hitting a steel spike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are amazing. So much good info here. TT, encouraging the Gransfors thing is just pure evil. I might pick up their throwing axe for some he-man lumber jack thrills.

I'm pretty impressed how much of a good, whole-body workout stacking wood is. I spent about 6 hours stacking yesterday and I have that "day after a fast club century ride" feeling. Everything is pleasantly, but not overly sore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The throwing axe is to wear in a leather sling on your back while riding. It does an amazing job of deterring rednecks.

The Granfors feels great just like some $200 allen keys feel so much better than Bondhus, but it doesn't really make the wood split any faster. The shape of the blade is critical, as is not going too heavy. I lived for several years on the edge of a water company wilderness area and all my heating came from trees they let me fell and buck. Splitting kindling is a fast-paced activity compared to felling a tree, and just like you don't use big gears to spin, don't use too heavy a blade to split kindling.

Take some lessons from cycling and apply them to chopping kindling. Get your position right -- if you are chopping twelve inches too low or too high, your stroke won't have the same power or control. Get the right distance from the block. And blade speed is much more important than weight. Those matter more than the blade you use.

There are all kinds of artisans making fine axes, mauls, and hatchets these days. Look around and you can drive TT crazy with all the options.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rent a splitter from your local rent-all for a day, knock it all out in a few hours, and go for a ride or have a frosty.

I used to spend whole days running a Husky 272 & a splitter stacking cords in a woodyard you couldn't see out of.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A-men. Still plenty of work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Rent a splitter from your local rent-all for a day, knock it all out in a few hours, and go for a ride or have a frosty.

I used to spend whole days running a Husky 272 & a splitter stacking cords in a woodyard you couldn't see out of.
    - Garro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best I have ever used was the original 'Moster Maul'. They aren't made any longer but this is pretty much a carbon copy. Yes, it's heavy but it splits so easily that the extra weight wasn't really noticed IMO.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    The best I have ever used was the original 'Moster Maul'. They aren't made any longer but this is pretty much a carbon copy. Yes, it's heavy but it splits so easily that the extra weight wasn't really noticed IMO.
    Go swing somebody's Gerber Splitting Maul and you might change your tune. They are brilliant. haha If I was infact built like Andre the Giant, g-d rest his peaceful soul, I'd swing that Monster Maul all day long but nooooo the big man decided to give me teenagers shoulders and skinny arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post

- Garro.
    Definitely, but the OP is looking to make kindling from already-quartered pieces.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    Definitely, but the OP is looking to make kindling from already-quartered pieces.
    I actually grew to prefer a machete for making Grandma Sticks.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast