Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rain Jacket

Looking for a "bomber" rain jacket, full zip, for all around use (three seasons).

Have lightweight stuff for hiking but looking for something high quality for times when not wearing an overcoat over suitcoat.

The standard OR, Patagonia, Marmot jackets aren't appealing to me. By analogy, if those are the Pearl Izumis and Castelli's, what are the Rapha and Assos ?

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rain Jacket

I have the Rapha City Rain Jacket and absolutely love it. I didn't realise I'd wear it off the bike as much as I have, it's awesome and the quality is stellar.
    They've stopped making it so perhaps an update is in the works as we speak?
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arcteryx, mission workshop, or ... there is another one that escapes me at the moment. They have a shop in the mission district.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Aether something-or-other that I got during my time with a shop that shall not be named. It is awesome. It's cut to be slim, it's waterproof, breathes well. It was $400+ retail, and is sporting TRS/ Nissan/ Trek logos. I haven't seen them anywhere else, and I'm not sure of the model.

Super helpful. But the brand is worth checking out if that's within your budget. I paid about a tenth of retail for it because it might've been exposed to rat urine and feces. Nothing a good wash or two couldn't handle.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheaper to just hire an umbrella girl to follow me about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mission orion model is close to what I'm looking for. Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Cheaper to just hire an umbrella girl to follow me about.
    You asked for the "Rapha or Assos", so here you go ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had an arcteryx shell for the past five years or so and the thing is indestructible. I've backpacked with it, skied, rafted, you name it. It looks brand new. I don't recall the model name, but the Beta LT looks similar. That said, you can't go wrong with their gear and their customer service is great. Definitely a forever jacket in my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like technical wear as casual wear. Fine for hiking Mt. Marcy, but you don't need tex-mex fabric for a rain shower in the CVS parking lot.

My raincoat arsenal is: J. Press trench (suits), Barbour Beaufort (everything else except backpacking and ski touring), I also have a Mammut Gore-Tex Paclite jobby for backpacking, but for just rain while backpacking, I wear Froggs Toggs - way, way, way better.

If the Barbour shit-on-boots Yorkshire farmer look isn't appealing, I'd recommend the Howies Ventile Airman jacket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I don't like technical wear as casual wear. Fine for hiking Mt. Marcy, but you don't need tex-mex fabric for a rain shower in the CVS parking lot.
    The Canada Geese of New York City strongly disagree with you. Foul weather dress code here is 'Sledgehammer to crack a Walnut'.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly recommend this one by 7Mesh, they make phenomenal gear that works.

Revelation Jacket Men's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Showers Pass make REALLY awesome rain gear. Their jackets are cut for cycling (longer in the bag, narrower in the sides) but work off the bike just as well. I've had one for 4 years now and it's like new. I use it for biking, hiking, camping etc. Anytime there's rain in the forecast it's my go to jacket. Usually rain jackets don't breathe/vent well, and while this one doesn't breathe any better than another (it's meant for blocking water after all) it has an awesome venting system. The arm pit vents (which are surprisingly hard to find on rain jackets) and back vent make this jacket vent really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Looking for a "bomber" rain jacket, full zip, for all around use (three seasons).

Have lightweight stuff for hiking but looking for something high quality for times when not wearing an overcoat over suitcoat.

The standard OR, Patagonia, Marmot jackets aren't appealing to me. By analogy, if those are the Pearl Izumis and Castelli's, what are the Rapha and Assos ?

-Mark
    Howies makes the Harrington jacket, it's your best friend if you want a discrete look, yet being able to use it on a bike when happens (although does not have a "sport" cut), and is pretty waterproof.
    howies - Harrington Ventile Jacket

I had used them years ago, staying all day out in the rain you would get damp eventually, but I'm talking very long time under the rain, something that's not going to happen when you're off the bike (i.e. "it doesn't rain in the pub" )
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After many years beating up my Marmot i popped for the Arcteryx Theta (?) and it is all that and a bag of chips. REI sells them if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    After many years beating up my Marmot i popped for the Arcteryx Theta (?) and it is all that and a bag of chips. REI sells them if that helps.
    Have the same theta, been using it for 10 years. Can't fault that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Have the same theta, been using it for 10 years. Can't fault that thing.
    I'll jump on the bandwagon. I have an SV that is 11 years old that has held up remarkably well. They've since moved factory's (offshore) so things may have changed, but I've only ever heard great things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    I'll jump on the bandwagon. I have an SV that is 11 years old that has held up remarkably well. They've since moved factory's (offshore) so things may have changed, but I've only ever heard great things.
    I have a ~15 year old Theta that's held up very well. I picked up a new one this year, different model, but still Arc'Teryx. I didn't know about the offshore part of it. But, in the little use it's seen so far, the new one is every bit as good as the old one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
    I have a ~15 year old Theta that's held up very well. I picked up a new one this year, different model, but still Arc'Teryx. I didn't know about the offshore part of it. But, in the little use it's seen so far, the new one is every bit as good as the old one.
    I should correct my statement, I THINK they went offshore. I do know they're not made in BC anymore. I also know that their former factory are the people making the Mission Orion referenced above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i second the showers pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast