User Tag List

Thread: Mexico City?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mexico City?

So my my old best pal from Boston lives in Mexico city with his wife who is in the UN, and I can go stay for a week or so.. What should I do? What are the must see sights? What should I avoid? What precautions should I take if any?
    He's an artist so some plein air painting may be involved. . My brother went there and the pix were amazing.. Really want to go to the Zocalo and maybe climb a pyramid and eat some really good Mexican food. Any advice would be of help! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mexico City?

It has been so long ago, the city is undoubtedly different. You probably want to go to the National Museum of Anthropology. The Botanical Gardens is nearby. A lot of bird life in the Botanical Gardens. The Franz Mayer Museum might also be interesting. The university is amazing though the mosaics were in disrepair when I was visiting. We went about 8-12 months after one of the earthquakes. There are also the Diego Rivera murals in the Palacio National and the Rivera/Kahlo house. Of course, Rivera was not the only muralist and perhaps not even the best. Orozco, Tamayo, Siqueiros. That whole scene must have been incredible. Everyone was there. There is also the Frida Kahlo house. She had her own house inherited from her family. Probably one of the coolest houses ever is Luis Barragan's house. Worth seeing. I never got to because its restoration is fairly recent, but I've poured over the plans and photos quite a bit.

I don't think we drank tap water or ate things that weren't peeled or cooked. I think that was over-cautious, but we were in the middle of a longer trip so didn't want to screw up. I take pepto-bismal as a prophylaxis whenever I am traveling somewhere that conditions are unknown to me. I usually carry Ciprofloxacin as a just in case but have never used it. I've never gotten food poisoning in Mexico. I have gotten it 3 or 4 times in New York City. So there you go.

The restaurants were amazing. Food was terrific. Some of the best meals I've eaten. One of the restaurants we went to specialized in paella, and it was served traditionally in a huge pan with incredible ingredients. Not a tourist show, just how it is done. There is a lot of money in Mexico City (and a lot of poverty) so all the things that you would expect with money are there.

I have a friend whose family mostly lives in Mexico City, and for a while, he didn't visit them because of the threat of kidnappings. They actually said, "Don't come" which was different because in the past they used to say "Oh people exaggerate." I don't think things are as bad as they were then. At least, he has traveled back a couple times to see the Mexican national team play since then. He loves that stadium and the Mexican National team. Breaks his heart though.

You should get out of the city too if possible. Teotihuacan is not too far away and is immense. Cholulah is near the base of Popocatepetl and is to the east and a bit farther away.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked in Mexico City for six months. I loved every minute. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow great info thanks Jorn. Any restaurants to recommend? I hear you don't want to drink water or ice cubes etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are regular travellers to DF (District Federal) Mexico City and it is just entirely wonderful. Safety has improved enormously over the last few years. We take the metro and buses everywhere with no problem and people are generally pretty helpful and friendly.

Some of our picks above and beyond what Jorn outlined:

For food - Maximo Bistrot Local; and El Hidalguense

And for coffee: Rococo Cafe – Condesa
    Espressarte – Calle Monterrey
    Passmar – Del Valle
    Cafe Etrusca – Roma

Have a great time. The architecture in Condesa is spectacular and the National Museum of Anthropology is not to be missed. Likewise, Barragan's house is a hidden treat, but I think you need to book to visit.

We have always drunk the water and its fine, just not very tasty! Most restaurants and the majority of Mexicans drink filtered water which is what you will receive in most decent restaurants in even the pretty down market areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nelo784 View Post
    We are regular travellers to DF (District Federal) Mexico City and it is just entirely wonderful. Safety has improved enormously over the last few years. We take the metro and buses everywhere with no problem and people are generally pretty helpful and friendly.

Some of our picks above and beyond what Jorn outlined:

For food - Maximo Bistrot Local; and El Hidalguense

And for coffee: Rococo Cafe – Condesa
    Espressarte – Calle Monterrey
    Passmar – Del Valle
    Cafe Etrusca – Roma

Have a great time. The architecture in Condesa is spectacular and the National Museum of Anthropology is not to be missed. Likewise, Barragan's house is a hidden treat, but I think you need to book to visit.

We have always drunk the water and its fine, just not very tasty! Most restaurants and the majority of Mexicans drink filtered water which is what you will receive in most decent restaurants in even the pretty down market areas.

Awesome thanks so much. I just got a ticket! My pal said he lives in a nice new part of town called Polanco? Said there is a lot of new construction all around.. I get to have my own apartment for 9 days as his neighbor is out of town and I get to cat sit. I'm SOOO excited!! He's an artist too so I plan on hitting lots of museums etc.