Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom shoes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Custom shoes?

After a pair of rocket7s changed my life I'm in search of some custom business and or casual shoes.
    Anyone had some made recently? Good results? I'm in DC if that makes a difference.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Custom shoes?

Do you have special needs (arch problems, etc)? There are all sorts of fashionista choices if not. Much fewer if you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a list of terribly British bespoke makers: A Guide to Men's Shoes Made in Britain, and When to Wear Them - Bloomberg Business

Are you trying to stay with American made so you can get the maker to do the measurement? If so, here's where the Prez gets his shoes: Bespoke Shoes | Perry Ercolino Custom Shoemakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Berluti-
    Berluti | Berluti

Especially since Anthony Delos is there-
    My New Life At Berluti : An Interview With Anthony Delos | Parisian Gentleman

Out of my price range now but someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great ready to wear shoe from Cleverly or Lobb is going to run your $1000 - $2000. Bespoke is going to be 2X that if not more and not for the faint hearted. Expect to wait months from initial contact to receipt with no real guarantee of fitting well. Bottom line is that bespoke shoes can be a nightmare compared to bespoke suits or shirts.

Honestly, if you are willing to spend the money, go see the Allen Edmonds on Connecticut Ave (low price option, with lots of lasts and widths along with qualified fitters), Alden on F Street (mid priced but a step up in quality from AE) or Sky Valet on Wisconsin (mid to high end British shoes).

If nothing else try on as many as you can and see which house fit suits your foot best. You'll likely be much happier in the long run. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pierre Corthay offers a ready to wear line-
    Corthay - Shoes

Or bespoke-
    Maison Corthay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    A great ready to wear shoe from Cleverly or Lobb is going to run your $1000 - $2000. Bespoke is going to be 2X that if not more and not for the faint hearted. Expect to wait months from initial contact to receipt with no real guarantee of fitting well. Bottom line is that bespoke shoes can be a nightmare compared to bespoke suits or shirts.

Honestly, if you are willing to spend the money, go see the Allen Edmonds on Connecticut Ave (low price option, with lots of lasts and widths along with qualified fitters), Alden on F Street (mid priced but a step up in quality from AE) or Sky Valet on Wisconsin (mid to high end British shoes).

If nothing else try on as many as you can and see which house fit suits your foot best. You'll likely be much happier in the long run. Good luck
    x2! Nicely stated. Rancourt will make made to measure and custom shoes. These are not bespoke, but for a bit more than the low end AEs, you can get much better fit. Alden most likely will have a last that fits your foot. AE's never once fit me and are some of the most uncomfortable shoes on my feet. YMMV though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordering with Alden was a frustrating experience for me. I had ordered Long Wing Blucher Cordovan #8 in a Modified last in EEE width since I have wide foot. Waited for two years and eventually cancelled since no confirmed date of production, no cordovan, etc. Eventually went with AE 9EEE which fitted better than the standard Alden in 9.5 E width for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
    Ordering with Alden was a frustrating experience for me. I had ordered Long Wing Blucher Cordovan #8 in a Modified last in EEE width since I have wide foot. Waited for two years and eventually cancelled since no confirmed date of production, no cordovan, etc. Eventually went with AE 9EEE which fitted better than the standard Alden in 9.5 E width for me.
    Alden is a cryptic mess. Have no idea how they do it. Best to surf Leather Soul and Leffot. Only store in Chicago is also a pain to work with.