User Tag List

Thread: video : epic, monster climb: hardest / 2nd hardest of the Alps: Grosser Oscheniksee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default video : epic, monster climb: hardest / 2nd hardest of the Alps: Grosser Oscheniksee

Hello !

Based on the data of salite.ch and climbbybike.com (the 2 most important climbs' profile database) the climb to Grosser Oscheniksee (2394 m) is the hardest or 2nd hardest paved ascents of the Alps, harder than the Monte Zoncolan or Angliru in Spain.

Data: 17 km & 9,8%, but the last 10 kms = 13% steepness, but often 14-15% and max. 18-20% (you can see it in my video )
    That's an epic, a monster, a killer But I loved it. That was a real challenge !

That's my detailed video about it (I edited that this week) - with english subtitles :

Have pleasure with the video !

Gabor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: video : epic, monster climb: hardest / 2nd hardest of the Alps: Grosser Oscheniks

Thanks Gabor, what a BEAST! You had great weather for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: video : epic, monster climb: hardest / 2nd hardest of the Alps: Grosser Oscheniks

Stunning. A new pin on my map of destinations.

Follow up question: how was the descent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for taking the time to put that together; that was EPIC!

What's the history of the body of water at the top? Is it a reservoir used to store snow melt, supplying water for the valley below? I presume the road to the reservoir was built for construction of the reservoir? How did you become aware of the road's existence-being labelled "Private" with a gate across it, I'd personally never think to travel beyond the gate, assuming it merely traveled a short distance then ended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks :) Yes I had great weather... I'm not sure I translated or not that : that week was one of the hottest in Austria in its history. (max degrees celsius somewjhere in the country: 35 degrees Celsius.... in an alpine counry )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the questions :)
    1, "how was the descent?" --> I had to be careful, but that wasn't a problem, I felt myself well. Every time it's important for me to be careful on a descent.

2, water and private road topic --> it could be the reason to "sent the water up by using cheap power and than let the water come down und generate power when it's more expensice: by daylight.
    I think that !
    Yes, you are right, that's a private road ... That road was built for the few occasions to visit the reservoir for maintenance or their other reasons.
    and if I'm strict I wasn't let cycle up, but in the Alps there are several similar roads that are used by cyclists.
    For example this climb is listed among the climbs of a cycling community who's challenge is to visit more climbs of their list.
    There are cyclists (Like me) who are so "obsessed" that they want to visit all of the interesting climbs in the mountains :) But we are not so mad to take too much risk, so we don't cycle roads where signs warn us for example rock-falling or danger...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put that together; that was EPIC!

What's the history of the body of water at the top? Is it a reservoir used to store snow melt, supplying water for the valley below? I presume the road to the reservoir was built for construction of the reservoir? How did you become aware of the road's existence-being labelled "Private" with a gate across it, I'd personally never think to travel beyond the gate, assuming it merely traveled a short distance then ended.