hiyooo. here's what ive been doing with my amateurish tig skills as of late.

i wanted to take this bike (yamaha star bolt):

and put a 2-seater bench seat on it. it's already got mid controls, a clean line at a good height from the tank backward, and plenty of mounting points to choose from for things. the ultimate goal though is to not touch the frame itself, just make this a bolt-on situation and keep it capable of easily being reverted back to stock.

here were a few mock-ups i did to get a feel for the size, lines, and structure of it all.

this one i could actually sit on

after months of delaying and thinking, i started work last weekend.
1st step was a battery cover. it's secured where the stock seat is held in place, as well as the two un-used bolt holes near the rear wheel well.

next was bending and shaping some mounting tabs, and then coping and welding the front end of the seat structure to it...despite my amateur welding skills, im proud that i only put one hole in the tube AND was able to fill it :D

the core of the subframe followed

the next day i made some great progress and the frame is now mountable, just need some vertical support struts and am starting to work on the electrical mounting and routing. i want to re-use the stock lights so it'll be interesting figuring out their positioning.
the "jig" i came up with is a boat strap keeping the two extensions at the front pressed against the core of the frame. the round file threaded through the mounting holes to help maintain the pressure and the spacing. the horizontal tubing theyre resting on helps keep a uniform height across the frame.

the vertical tube is just to prop it up for the time being.

i was really proud of my welding that day..ive come a very long way

yesterday saw this come together:

it's a storage box for my tools and registration that'll hang under the seat and has a cutout for wheel clearance. the electrical wires will also be routed through it on their way from the lights to the battery. also surprised i didnt put any holes in that given it was 20ga sheet metal and i was doing a fair lot of butt welds.