User Tag List

Thread: Handmade Electric Supercar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Handmade Electric Supercar

Hi guys! I couldn't find a thread to post these photos of my dad's latest project. If I started a new thread for an existing thread please point me into the right direction.

Super brief back story about this project. Almost 2 years ago my dad got in a terrible motorcycle accident where he almost lost his left leg. He was forced to retire early. My dad is one of those people who can't just sit and relax. He needs a project to work on constantly. While in the hospital, he told me he was going to make a car again (more to that later, maybe) an electric super car. And he asked me to help him copy a '90 Lamborghini body his buddy had laying in his shop. The rest his is his own design made from scratch, with simple tools and no fancy/expensive equipment out in the open.
    supercar00.jpgsupercar0.jpgsupercar000.jpgSupercar1.jpgsupercar2.jpgsupercar3.jpgsupercar4.jpgsupercar5.jpgsupercar6.jpgsupercar7.jpgsupercar8.jpgsupercar9.jpgsupercar10.jpgsupercar11.jpgsupercar12.jpg

I skipped through a whole bunch of photos but this will give you an idea.
    His idea behind this car was to make a very light, yet strong chassis so he could get more mileage per charge. Initially we wanted to make a full carbon fiber body but we didn't have the funds for it. Fiberglass had to do. As far as the engine goes (don't quote me on this because i'm not sure) It's made for small buses or trucks, which he modified the gearing so in theory it would work on a lighter car, offer better MPG, and have up to 900hp. Pretty wild. Honestly, this project goes way beyond me and when I look it up close I can't comprehend it. There are thousands of small pieces in this car, all which he made by hand.
    The car is still a work in progess hopefully it will be ready by the end of the year.
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handmade Electric Supercar

Please, please, please keep this thread up to date with progress. That is awesome!

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with matt... please keep updating your thread here. Looks like a really awesome project.

Are you able to completely fabricate a car from scratch and drive it legally in the US or is it a "track only" car?
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! Looking forward to the progress.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'm with matt... please keep updating your thread here. Looks like a really awesome project.

Are you able to completely fabricate a car from scratch and drive it legally in the US or is it a "track only" car?
    I think in California you can make a car from scratch that is street legal as long as it's safe to drive, have proof of the manufacturing process and standard features a production car would have like lights, blinkers, mirrors, seat belt, etc. Also it has to pass smog, but since it's an electric car I don't think it'll need it.
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did he based his car on a lambo diablo design ? Practicability ? I don't have any idea about CA laws but it could be assimilated as counterfeiting in some parts of the world.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very cool! Did you guys take molds off the lambo? Or, did you do the foam sculpting/wet layup?
    Sean Hendrix
    Tempe, AZ

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt mean to start a registration argument and I'm sorry for the slight derail, I was just curious. I think this is a really cool project and love following this kind of project. Whats your father's background that allows him to tackle a project like this? I'm guessing that your background with carbon fiber is one of the reasons that the body work looks so tight.

That tiny engine will put down several hundred Horsepower?! - insane! Can you mate that up to a "normal" transmission? What is the goal for the curb weight and will you sacrifice range for weight?
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Why did he based his car on a lambo diablo design ? Practicability ? I don't have any idea about CA laws but it could be assimilated as counterfeiting in some parts of the world.
    A friend of his had a spare Lamborghini Diablo body available, like a Lambo replica kit people put on Pontiac Fieros. It was a simple platform to start off, that's why we used that body, we are modifying now so it's more of it's own design. Chassis, suspension, etc they are all unique. if you were to put a '90s Diablo and this car side by side together you'll see that they are very different.

I wouldn't say it's counterfeiting. You see business that make Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche replicas out there. Besides, He's only making this car for himself, no plans on starting a business later on.
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seankanary View Post
    Very very cool! Did you guys take molds off the lambo? Or, did you do the foam sculpting/wet layup?
    We made molds of a replica body kit.
    there's a room full of them if anyone is interested in taking a ridiculously ambitious project.
    lambomold.jpglambomold2.jpgsupercalmold2.jpgsupercarmolds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I didn't mean to start a registration argument and I'm sorry for the slight derail, I was just curious. I think this is a really cool project and love following this kind of project. Whats your father's background that allows him to tackle a project like this? I'm guessing that your background with carbon fiber is one of the reasons that the body work looks so tight.

That tiny engine will put down several hundred Horsepower?! - insane! Can you mate that up to a "normal" transmission? What is the goal for the curb weight and will you sacrifice range for weight?
    My dad is a mechanic and fabricator, he has been making race cars since the '70s. Mostly off road race cars back in Argentina, where we are originally from. Most recently made a Lambo replica for a friend of his using a Pontiac Fiero chassis and a Corvette engine.
    lamboreplica.jpg
    He's pretty good at working with fiber glass and composites so I'm not taking any credit for making the body, I only helped out a bit.
    As far as technical questions. I don't have any answers. All I know is that the engine is massive compared to the engine on a Nissan Leaf or other electric cars so I'm pretty sure it can produce a lot of power.
    Last edited by Hern; 02-14-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typos
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I know about replicas. They are *NOT" all over the planet. In many countries they can't be registered and some get confiscated when trying to cross a border.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very cool. Is he planning on Pb-H+ or LiPo for batteries? I can't tell from here if that's an AC or DC motor. One engineering challenge is getting the power out of the batteries fast enough to reach those power numbers. Homebrew electric supercars would often use 2-3 controllers in parallel. Of course... this was many years ago, and I haven't kept up in recent times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Very very cool. Is he planning on Pb-H+ or LiPo for batteries? I can't tell from here if that's an AC or DC motor. One engineering challenge is getting the power out of the batteries fast enough to reach those power numbers. Homebrew electric supercars would often use 2-3 controllers in parallel. Of course... this was many years ago, and I haven't kept up in recent times.
    Hey! Sorry it took me so long to get back to your questions. I didnt know the answers. I recently talked to my dad and he said It uses LiPo batteries, 150 of them. It's a DC motor. He's currently working on a 3 speed gear box that will allow the engine to turn around quicker. He's using one controller. He explained to me how it all works and what's is wrong with it right know but I couldn't keep up with the tech talk.
    I'm going to visit him next weekend probably and I'll take more photos of the project.
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once made a life size paper mache porpoise for a 5th grade science class project.

Your dad is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this thing up and running yet? More pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The project is on hold for now. It's almost there but all the details are hard to do and very expensive.
    This is him test driving it without the body.
    Miguel Montenegro posted a video to his... - Miguel Montenegro | Facebook
    Hernan Montenegro
    Montenegro Mfg.
    Los Angeles Carbon Fiber
    MMFG facebook
    Instagram