User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Jon Stewart gone, the next presidential campaign just won't be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default With Jon Stewart gone, the next presidential campaign just won't be the same.

It will be interesting to see what he does next. He truly revolutionized what was a pretty stale medium.

http://nyti.ms/1Fw1XYm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: With Jon Stewart gone, the next presidential campaign just won't be the same.

Word is that it's PTSD from being on that chopper with Brian Williams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: With Jon Stewart gone, the next presidential campaign just won't be the same.

Where am I going to get my news, now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could try Faux.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a taping about 6 years ago. Harrison Ford was there promoting some action movie.

First question - "when are people in movies going to learn not to fuck with Harrison Ford?"

Translation - I'd rather be talking to almost anyone else.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only news show worth watching.

stewart is brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- i believe craig G would make a awesome news contaminator/commentator!!!

ronnie a nipper'n with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always bristled at a TV personality telling me how I ought to think but his calling out of all people probably was fairly close to my own viewpoints. I hope he's not done being in the public eye and maybe he'll just run for president and make a mockery of all the pretenders.

I prefer candidates who call it like it is, rather than calling it like they think other people ought to think. And truly independent thinkers are rare. I at least listen to Jonathan Stewart and I listen to very few.

I raise my glass to Jon Stewart. Here's to more independent voices!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Times says "out on a high note". I'm not so sure. To me, he lost the freshness a few years ago. Around the time that Colbert took off.

He used to have a really refreshing view point and some really off the beaten path guests. In the last few years it seems like you saw the same folks promoting their book or movie that you had just seen making the rounds on Morning Joe or 10 other shows.

I can see the same thing with Seinfeld. Maybe being a middle aged father is just not compatible with comedy.

He's talented. Hope he does something great again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Seinfeld, here's a fun and interesting meeting of the two minds over some AMC vehicles. And coffee.

Jon Stewart The Sound of Virginity - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps he has some other ideas for directing films. Maybe he just wants to spend more time with his young family. I agree with the above statement that after Colbert's departure he became more typical of a talk show host. I really hope Colbert shakes that up. I hope he shuns the approach that Fallon has taken. We don't need a constant stream of promoters and a host that does nothing but suck up. I do respect him for his generosity in bringing along many of his working partners. I was watching Craig Kilborn before Stewart took over. Stewart deserves a break.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a bit depressed for a moment but it is alright: he has spawned a generation of critics that have their own shows. His work is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Daily Show with Brian Williams." Just saying'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    I liked Maureen Dowd's reference to Williams as Brokaw's "hair apparent." Maybe you're onto something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a brilliant move if he has the wit for the format. A pre-shattered glass house would be an advantage in the commentary business.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never liked the comedy/news format. The hosts want so badly to be taken seriously on certain topics but fall back on the "I'm just a comedian" thing every time they get called out for being offensive or wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NBC Nightly News with Jon Stewart, Americas most trusted name in news.

In related news, Rachel Maddow is moving to Comedy Central.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I've always bristled at a TV personality telling me how I ought to think but his calling out of all people probably was fairly close to my own viewpoints. I hope he's not done being in the public eye and maybe he'll just run for president and make a mockery of all the pretenders.

I prefer candidates who call it like it is, rather than calling it like they think other people ought to think. And truly independent thinkers are rare. I at least listen to Jonathan Stewart and I listen to very few.

I raise my glass to Jon Stewart. Here's to more independent voices!
    a hearty "plus one" on this thought!
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craven Moorehead View Post
    I've never liked the comedy/news format. The hosts want so badly to be taken seriously on certain topics but fall back on the "I'm just a comedian" thing every time they get called out for being offensive or wrong.
    I'll take a comedy channel news report any day of the week over a regular newscaster trying to be funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craven Moorehead View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I think Stewart's great (though lately I don't find myself laughing as much), but I also thought Dennis Miller had his moments with his HBO show. He and Chris Hitchens had some really great sessions. Not much of Bill Maher fan; I find him tedious and a little too smug. But for the last few years, I think Stewart's really been playing up the "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would ya?" angle far too often. And with both Stewart and Maher, I find there's a background hum of cynicism that makes them ever so slightly depressing.
    In Velo Veritas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast