User Tag List

Thread: fix dent in seat tube from improper clampig masi 3v

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fix dent in seat tube from improper clampig masi 3v

hi all I just acquired a masi team 3v, a 92 barcaelona olympics frame...there is a compression ding not especially deep maybe !-2 mm at most starting 5 inches or so from the tt to about 8 inches maybe a cm in width , closer to the face than the side of the seat tube...it is not particularly noticeable but is visible upon close inspecton.My first thought was to ease a longer seat post past the dent if possible,greasing both the inside of the tube and the post....if it improved the look I would use a longer seat post than normal to support the tube...any drawbacks you can foresee ,or am I better off leaving well enough alone? the frame itself has some minor paint loss and minor surface rust that needs to be addressed and I plan to treat tubes with peter weigles frame saver ...any thoughts on restoring this frame would be appreciated....thanks , kevin
    tell me of your homeworld,usul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: fix dent in seat tube from improper clampig masi 3v

Sound similar to a repair stand clamp crimping. The first goal is to do no more harm. So can the bike be ridden as is? There are always "drawbacks' when attempting a repair to a frame. Without knowing how much experience you have with this type of thing I can't say if your methods will go well or cause more issues. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats exactly what it looks like to me..I guess my question is if I can ease out the dent from the inside out is that more of a stress to the metal? I'm not looking to repaint other than some minor touch up to a few small areas with surface rust..as to my experience with repairing tubes it is zero ,working with metal a lot,enough to know that once dented it will never return to its undented appearance,,that is why I am seeking advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kvnmuadib View Post
    hi all I just acquired a masi team 3v, a 92 barcaelona olympics frame...there is a compression ding not especially deep maybe !-2 mm at most starting 5 inches or so from the tt to about 8 inches maybe a cm in width , closer to the face than the side of the seat tube...it is not particularly noticeable but is visible upon close inspecton.My first thought was to ease a longer seat post past the dent if possible,greasing both the inside of the tube and the post....if it improved the look I would use a longer seat post than normal to support the tube...any drawbacks you can foresee ,or am I better off leaving well enough alone? the frame itself has some minor paint loss and minor surface rust that needs to be addressed and I plan to treat tubes with peter weigles frame saver ...any thoughts on restoring this frame would be appreciated....thanks , kevin
    kevin ruberg howell nj usa