Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stijl Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonMachineWorks View Post
    Attachment 83002

You only get two.
    One of my all time favorite idioms, but that graphic takes the cake!
    Hinmaton Hisler

Making like it's going out of style __________________________________________________ ___________________________ SMOKED OUT

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Shipping (anything that entails getting something in a box, the cost of the box, the tape, the wrapping, the time to call FedEx or whoever, as well as the cost FedEx or whatever charges you...) is a profit center. Make money on the ordeal atmo.
    Shipping is one of those items that is challenging to charge adequately for, particularly in small goods.
    With frames, bikes, wheels or the like, the items have such a high intrinsic value, that consumers will pay for the additional insurance and pay to have it packed properly. Yet, the decision to purchase small parts may come down to the difference in shipping cost. While it may be far quicker to pack up 20 frame bits into a flat-rate box, than it does to pack a frame, the cost in time remains the same. Your cost per hour does not change simply because the value of the work is considered less. If you clock all that time and materials and apply to a handling charge, the cost of that small item may be too much.
    I just try to look at the average, I lose on some shipments and I make on others.

But getting paid for shipping is not my question or observation.

To be plain, I suppose I wonder: What it is about our culture that causes us to wait to the last minute to order supplies or parts? Particularity with frame builders, we are not typically picking up jobs where we need to turn them around in a week.
    On a repair job, sure, you never can count on having the parts you might need. But on frame orders that we may have sold 3 months ago or more?
    I'm guilty of it for sure. I have checked my mental supplies department, and felt sure I had the tubes or frame ends I needed, not put eyes on them only to realize at the last minute that I was wrong.
    But I also made note of my error and took actions to not repeat it. It too expensive to repeat, plus it adds undo stress.
    That was the conclusion that I came to for myself.

Maybe there is some other reason to wait until the last minute that makes great sense, I'm just curious what it is?
    Hinmaton Hisler

Making like it's going out of style __________________________________________________ ___________________________ SMOKED OUT

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only suggestion would be that it costs a lot of capital to have stock waiting and most one man operations, and I imagine bigger shops, would order per incoming order basis because they haven't worked enough profit to just order a box full of drop outs or even a box full of the one specific tube. I look at the racks and drawers full of material that Dazza has in his workshop and it is a small fortune that I would hazard a guess runs just into the to 6 figures by the time you add it all up. No real answer just an observation.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    My only suggestion would be that it costs a lot of capital to have stock waiting and most one man operations, and I imagine bigger shops, would order per incoming order basis because they haven't worked enough profit to just order a box full of drop outs or even a box full of the one specific tube. I look at the racks and drawers full of material that Dazza has in his workshop and it is a small fortune that I would hazard a guess runs just into the to 6 figures by the time you add it all up. No real answer just an observation.
    You are most likely correct. I know I am sitting on material that I keep hoping that I will use. I have a set of SS Paragon hooded sliders that I've had for 7 years now...
    Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stijl Cycles View Post
    You are most likely correct. I know I am sitting on material that I keep hoping that I will use. I have a set of SS Paragon hooded sliders that I've had for 7 years now...
    Write off all that old and obsolete material on your taxes. In other words, unusable inventory doesn't get counted (any more).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<SNIP>

Quote Originally Posted by Stijl Cycles View Post
    I am still perplexed how many people order parts from me at the last minute.

Out of curiosity, have you taken note of who is doing this? Newer builders or more well established? Mix of both? Balance towards one or the other? I'm curious.

For myself, I maximize a balance of inventory, time and finances by pulling batches of 4 clients so I can benefit on orders from suppliers, shipping and time involved on the front end to do drawings, specs. etc.

As an aside, we're all guilty of some procrastination, or moving slow or delaying. When it becomes a habit that goes unchecked however, that then is an issue requiring resolution.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    <SNIP>

Out of curiosity, have you taken note of who is doing this? Newer builders or more well established? Mix of both? Balance towards one or the other? I'm curious.

For myself, I maximize a balance of inventory, time and finances by pulling batches of 4 clients so I can benefit on orders from suppliers, shipping and time involved on the front end to do drawings, specs. etc.

As an aside, we're all guilty of some procrastination, or moving slow or delaying. When it becomes a habit that goes unchecked however, that then is an issue requiring resolution.
    It's really a mix of both, but trends towards the builders who are ordering singles of things.
    I've certainly procrastinated, or had other distractions and thought I had plenty of time to order a certain Deda tube that I always get, to find out that it's out of stock, and if I can wait 2-3 weeks I can get it from Italy, or maybe there's one at Ceeway... I guess I could sub a TT or Columbus, but that Deda is just the right length... eff!
    Right?

So I order in advance now- Plus I have always enjoyed the process of printing out drawings, making a bill of materials, receiving the materials, inspecting, marking the butting, putting it all in a box labeled for the client, and putting it on the shelf knowing that it's all there and ready to go when it's queue time comes up.

But it is a risk, I tend to keep the initial deposit amount really small. If the client walks, that deposit isn't really going to cover the loss in cash flow from investing in that material anyway-
    I guess I think staying "on time" is really important.
    Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some finishing work Iv'e been doing for my '48 Pan Project

Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out this review of the Fern & Roby integrated amp
    These are built in house yall!

Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I developed some merchandise around the time of the 2015 UCI Worlds in Richmond, VA.
    It gave me a chance to try a logo T with some loco flair.
    This is a shot of 23rd St. "The Maxxis Wall"

I thought it was pretty cool.
    Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are a year into reproducing the Capitals at Jefferson's Rotunda in Charlottesville, VA.
    99% of which was recreating the design of something that was lost in a fire in 1895. Every bit of documentation or recorded design work was lost with the capitals during the fire. All that remains are a few blurry large format glass negatives.
    the design process was arduous, but we have now have all but completed the first article which went for final review today.

https://www.facebook.com/tektonics/v...3048170076073/
    Hinmaton Hisler

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a UVa grad I can't like this^^^ enough. Awesome, Hinmaton, just awesome.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234