Thread: Denim Jackets & Canvas Jackets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Denim Jackets & Canvas Jackets

I do dig my new Mule Skinner Jacket by Left Field out of NYC

The japansese inner liner and painted brass buttons shure freak me ....

Mule Skinner Denim Jacket | Left Field NYC

marTIn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." H.G. Wells

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Denim Jackets & Canvas Jackets

This denim coverall made by L.C.King out of Bristol, TN. has me drooling every time I delph into it while goin' to the workshop ...

https://www.pointerbrand.com/index.p...en-indigo.html

MARtiN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." H.G. Wells

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have and wear the Levi's denim jacket I bought over thirty years ago in White River Junction VT.

It's a bit tight at the waist, the holes for the buttons down the front are worn out, and the collar's about to fall off, but other than that, it's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

managed to get myself a decent raise, and I'm thinking about getting myself a denim jacket to celebrate. thanks to Mr Sachs, I've sorta been focused on Tellason. Any opinions one way or the other?

I've never owned a denim jacket, but the idea of it seems appealing, and it's been a while since I've bought a jacket without thinking "eh...if it gets messed up, oh well. it was cheap." I tend to prefer to not feel like I'm wearing a parachute, if that matters. In other words, relaxed fits aren't my jam.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 11-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a Patagonia denim jacket about 20 years ago. Granted I didn’t wear it much in the desert or in Europe, but I’ve worn it at least 70% of those 20 years.

They no longer make the style I have, but they do make a denim jacket:

Patagonia Men's Steel Forge Denim Work Jacket

I’d look for one that isn’t too much of an era. Mine is a little less trim than I’d pick now, but I can wear layers underneath. Nice for protecting a down jacket when I am cutting brush or something similar in the cold.

Congrats on the raise!
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-13-2019 at 12:44 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally depends on if it for "work" or for show. Since I no longer really "work" my favourite ones for show are:

If I was going to get a denim jacket I'd be looking at one from Ironheart. Type I II & III - Iron Heart International

For waxed canvas - I love my waxed shirt from 18 waits. They no longer make them, but have heavier options - Weekender Jacket | Dark Olive Waxed Cotton This is a shirt I actuallywork outside in, pairs well under a down vest or over a hoody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Tellason that I got a few years ago after they started sponsoring Richard's team. It is NICE. The denim (16.5) is heavy and good quality, and it still isn't all the way broken in, but it fits me very well. It's a better jacket than the Levi's one that I already had. Haven't worn that one since I got the Tellason.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Levi’s jacket that I like a lot because it’s slim cut and fits well. I’d totally get the Tellason, but since I only get to wear a jacket 3 days a year, it would take a lifetime to break in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I have a Tellason that I got a few years ago after they started sponsoring Richard's team. It is NICE. The denim (16.5) is heavy and good quality, and it still isn't all the way broken in, but it fits me very well. It's a better jacket than the Levi's one that I already had. Haven't worn that one since I got the Tellason.
    is that 16.5oz denim super duper stiff to the point that it's almost annoying? I've got some 14.5oz jeans that I'll wear to job sites, and 2.5 years in, they're still really, really stiff.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's definitely in that zone. If I bought it again I'd probably go lighter.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ended up ordering a 3Sixteen Type 3 in their 14.5oz Shadow Selvedge denim. We'll see how it goes...
    -Dustin

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    ended up ordering a 3Sixteen Type 3 in their 14.5oz Shadow Selvedge denim. We'll see how it goes...
    How did this jacket work out. I've been spending a ton of time trying to pick the right raw denim jacket.
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 5-year-old post just led me into a dangerous site full of good chore coats (LC King)
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yashkatsumi View Post
    How did this jacket work out. I've been spending a ton of time trying to pick the right raw denim jacket.
    i like it a lot. think i made the correct choice, and that choice was based on 2 things - 1) it was said to be roomier in shoulders and chest, and 2) it was said to be longer. it fits comfortably throughout...like a slim-fitted jacket should fit, and the length is good. still shorter than i'm used to, but good. the color and fantastic.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more interested in a denim jacket with a liner. I ride a Vespa(when not riding my bicycle) and need something to cut that wind.

I liked a lot of stuff on that 3sixteen website but most everything in my size was sold out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might find something at one of these shops:

selfedge.com
    rivetandhide.com
    blueingreensoho.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moondog-sparky View Post
    Might find something at one of these shops:

selfedge.com
    rivetandhide.com
    blueingreensoho.com

I must admit I know nothing about fashionable denim wear. I get my jeans from a place called Pants Barn. My last denim jacket was a Levis unlined jacket. It might have cost $40.

When I first started cycling, I bought the cheapest stuff around. I didn't know any better. Heck, I wore NON-BIB cycling shorts for years before I saw the light. It has been my experience that the more expensive cycling clothes are worth the money, especially if you are out there 5-6 hours or more.

On the Vespa, I currently ride wearing Corazzo and Belstaff. I've also got a goatskin leather aviator's jacket that is now worth a fortune that I sometimes wear.

But when I look at $300 dollar jeans and $1k jackets, I just don't see the point. Yes, those Shinto monks stomped around for hours in vats of indigo dye, getting the jeans that "just perfect" color. And their grandmothers lovingly added the "do not remove under penalty of law" tag by hand. But when I look at the pictures, I see a typical denim jacket or pair of jeans that doesn't fit any better or is constructed any better than the Wrangler or Levi or Carhartt product.

It must be in the subtle details that I am missing the point. I can understand that and appreciate it but only if I can get an explanation. I'm not ready to plunk down that much green on an experiment.

I thank you for the links, though. There are some interesting things to see and maybe I can learn some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get your jacket in the same exact hue as your jeans-
    Canadian Tuxedo!

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After doing a bunch of research I ordered a Momotaro Jeans 12oz type 2 jacket from Okayama Denim store in Japan. I ordered it last friday and it should be here today, which is pretty impressive. With the free shipping and 10% off code (yokoso or denimhead), the jacket was around $200 which seems reasonable for a handmade product like this. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, and I waited all day, but nothing.

I like the history of Momotaro Jeans, and have been reading how the japanese denim industry is under a lot of financial pressure at this moment. A majority of the denim makers are over 65 so denim lovers are concerned that they will all retire instead of getting more loans to continue. There have been very few younger generation workers to learn the denim manufacturing process so much of this art may be lost in the upcoming years.

I will post some pictures once it arrives.
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still wearing my Dad's ancient Levis Strauss Jacket. Why mess with something so perfect?

denim.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast