Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal life around Fahnestock State Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Animal life around Fahnestock State Park

Check out the pictures in this article. I was skiing at Fahnestock today and the workers were talking about the video camera they
    setup. Watch out for the bobcats!

Trail Camera Reveals Hidden Wildlife in Fahnestock Park | Philipstown.info – Cold Spring – Beacon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Animal life around Fahnestock State Park

Seeing a bobcat in real life is kind of scary. I was climbing up a mountain pass with Matt in Georgia when this enormous cat like creature starts crossing the road about 60 ft. in front of us. I say "What the F is that?" and Matt all like "Uh, that's a bobcat". We kept going and hoped it wouldn't pounce on us once it dove into the rock wall shrubbery.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well a bunch of us ride near Fahnestock in the spring, summer, and fall so i guess this is motivation to
    not be the last guy up on the dirt road climb.

i've never seen a bobcat, but i would be terrified if i was by myself and encountered one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this bobcat this summer, I think I posted it in a ride report. It wasn't so scary as interesting. I saw a mountain lion when we first moved out here. That was scary.

Back in grad school we did the same thing except only gave insects and smaller critters access to the dead animals. The time lapsed video was awesome. Thanks for sharing. I love this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say this, but the symbol of our country doesn't look terribly impressive there, feeding off carrion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I hate to say this, but the symbol of our country doesn't look terribly impressive there, feeding off carrion.
    I think Updike wrote in Run Rabbit Run, that my generation will be lucky to get the crumbs from the table of the American dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having pitched a tent in that area, alone-- Yikes!
    -Ben Newell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. The author of that article was my middle school science teacher. He's a pretty well known naturalist in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy at work hunts deer and set one up in a state forest where he had a permit and got some great pictures and video of bears. He emailed Encon to ask if they knew there were bear there and they were really interested. They said they had no idea so he sent them some of the pictures and video. I forget the place, it's sort of down by Cherry Valley or somewhere like that.

One video was really great, the bear is walking by and notices the camera. It stops short and comes over to investigate and at one point the picture is nothing but bear nose and the lens fogs up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome stuff. Can't believe you have that kind of wild life so close to big cities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are safe DCT. No meat on your bones.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Check out the pictures in this article. I was skiing at Fahnestock today and the workers were talking about the video camera they
    setup. Watch out for the bobcats!

Trail Camera Reveals Hidden Wildlife in Fahnestock Park | Philipstown.info – Cold Spring – Beacon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat in the Berlin Zoo and watched this thing eviscerate a rat for about an hour. Just couldn't look away.

Jens Eagle.jpg

The sign is not figurative--Jens is actually this bird's father.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to worry about being attacked by a bobcat. They're like foxes, very quiet and secretive and want nothing to do with people.

We have bobcats in this area, I know a few folks who've seen them, but I have yet to see one in the wild myself. I've seen a few fox, those guys are awesome.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stlhenrys View Post
    I sat in the Berlin Zoo and watched this thing eviscerate a rat for about an hour. Just couldn't look away.
    A deer got into the cheetah enclosure at the National Zoo (D.C., USA) last year. It did not end well for the deer. Would have been...interesting to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    well a bunch of us ride near Fahnestock in the spring, summer, and fall so i guess this is motivation to
    not be the last guy up on the dirt road climb.

i've never seen a bobcat, but i would be terrified if i was by myself and encountered one!
    I guess this means I am bait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now in NH there's a debate that has descended into downright nastiness regarding whether or not there are mountain lions here. I went to a presentation regarding this a few years back - I thought the fellow presenting it was a wildlife biologist, but instead it was presented by some guy who was convinced that the local authorities were conspiring to keep the fact away from the public that mountain lions are here in NH and VT. It just got worse and worse in terms of nuttiness and paranoia (his explanations on why NH Fish & Wildlife would want to hide this from the public were downright crazy), but people were totally falling for it.

He presented a slideshow of mountain lions - very nice pics pulled from the Web, most with dramatic CA or Rocky Mountain landscapes in the background.

He also claimed that he saw mountain lions in and around NH "about once a week," but could not provide a picture of one, or of a footprint, remains, scat, anything. No evidence whatsoever and a roomful of people walked out convinced that there are several hundred mountain lions in NH.

I did, however, see a bobcat crossing Route 10 in Gilsum NH a few years back. Confused me at first because my brain just kept saying "cats don't get that big" before I realized it wasn't a domestic cat. Bigger than I thought they were. S/he just looked at me, kind of shrugged, and kept on walking across the road.

Really, one of the greatest pleasures I have while riding- seeing stuff like this that I otherwise would never see.
    Last edited by monadnocky; 01-29-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: more stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Really, one of the greatest pleasures I have while riding- seeing stuff like this that I otherwise would never see.
    I do a lot of my riding at night, after work. It doesn't happen often, but it's a real treat to see coyotes. I immediately go on "dog alert" when I see one, but once they move it's obvious that they're not dogs. I haven't seen one this year, I hope I get to before the time changes. Beautiful creatures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Right now in NH there's a debate that has descended into downright nastiness regarding whether or not there are mountain lions here. I went to a presentation regarding this a few years back - I thought the fellow presenting it was a wildlife biologist, but instead it was presented by some guy who was convinced that the local authorities were conspiring to keep the fact away from the public that mountain lions are here in NH and VT. It just got worse and worse in terms of nuttiness and paranoia (his explanations on why NH Fish & Wildlife would want to hide this from the public were downright crazy), but people were totally falling for it.

He presented a slideshow of mountain lions - very nice pics pulled from the Web, most with dramatic CA or Rocky Mountain landscapes in the background.

He also claimed that he saw mountain lions in and around NH "about once a week," but could not provide a picture of one, or of a footprint, remains, scat, anything. No evidence whatsoever and a roomful of people walked out convinced that there are several hundred mountain lions in NH.

I did, however, see a bobcat crossing Route 10 in Gilsum NH a few years back. Confused me at first because my brain just kept saying "cats don't get that big" before I realized it wasn't a domestic cat. Bigger than I thought they were. S/he just looked at me, kind of shrugged, and kept on walking across the road.

I'll bite (no pun intended)-- what would the consequences be if there were mtn lions in NH? They are very shy animals, and there are very few cases of conflict with humans, esp. in low population density areas. Black bears seem like a far greater nuisance. I'm sure you know all this, just wondering what this guy's issue was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I'll bite (no pun intended)-- what would the consequences be if there were mtn lions in NH? They are very shy animals, and there are very few cases of conflict with humans, esp. in low population density areas. Black bears seem like a far greater nuisance. I'm sure you know all this, just wondering what this guy's issue was.
    I have no idea, really. He came across as a wildlife enthusiast with a large streak of conspiracy theorist. There's actually a good number of people who believe that, for some bizarre reason, state Fish and Wildlife agencies across New England are conspiring to hide the fact that there are mountain lions (hundreds and hundreds of them) around here. The rationale is so convoluted and bizarre I can't even elucidate it. Lots of these people state that they see mountain lions all the time, despite not being able to offer any evidence of seeing one - not a picture (you know, nobody has a cell phone these days), not a tuft of hair, not some shit, not a print, nothing. And nobody outside of these "believers" has ever seen one, including a die-hard wildlife guy I know, who has spent more time in the NH woods than anyone on the planet.

A friend of mine swears that she saw one at a friend's house, on top of her shed's roof, stalking the llamas her friend owns. She stated she watched it for several minutes. I asked why she didn't get a pic, and her answer was that she "forgot." Mind you, one picture would have been like getting a photograph of the second shooter near the grassy knoll around here.

As for NH, state personnel admit that there may have been one or two mountain lions in the state somewhere, and there was definitely was one that was a confirmed escaped "pet" that lasted years in the wild.

I don't get the "conspiracy" mindset. It's very odd to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the guy wanted to rant about something, he should rant about the decline in moose populations and how it can be stopped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast