West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wrist Computers: Garmin or Suunto

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    All of this is a big part of the reason I hav decided that my iPhone in the back pocket is simply the best possible device, with the greatest range of features...
    This is a viable option for riding, hiking and general outdoorsy stuff. I know guys that ride a lot with just a stava app to keep track of everything. If you're looking to track your activity and do some running though; for me, carrying a phone is not a viable option. It bounces around too much in a shirt pocket and would pull your pants down if its in one of those pockets (does anybody even make running shorts with a big enough pocket to fit a phone?) on the back of your shorts The straps for your arm are uncomfortable, and packs of any kind are out of the question. Holding things in your hand is also no good.

If you're running with any consistency, a watch of some sort is your only option.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    i have an ambit2. i'm usually one to upgrade, but i didn't like some of the changes they made with the ambit3. i am waiting for the fenix 3.
    What didn't you like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my Forerunner 410 gives up, I'll probably get the latest Ambit for its longer battery life. Man, I would love a 1200k brevet GPS that did not need attention to battery/charging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, there's plenty of tutorial information on the Suunto website. I don't think the same can be said for Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm the exception but I've owned a ton of Garmins and never had issues. My buddy had his 500 break from the mount and bust its face on the road during a ride. Garmin customer service was great and replaced it for free. I had a 910XT and currently have a Fenix 2 which is a great watch for all-around running, hiking, and trainer sessions. I also have a buddy who recently purchased a 920XT and loves it. I think you can't go wrong with either the 920XT, Fenix 2, or Fenix 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    New Garmin products coming in March including a new Fenix, according to a CES report I saw. So I suppose I'll sit tight for now and just strap my cycling computer to my head.
    Some people already have the F3 and are reporting it to be buggy on the DCRainmaker site. Crashes, not recording entire activity etc.

Choice seems to be a buggy product versus a product that is not as buggy but requires tethering to a smartphone or computer for configuration and downloading data.

I tried running with the phone. Not too bad in winter with layers and pockets but I'd prefer a watch-based solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you use the watch while also using the Edge? Do you use a power meter?

My wife wants a 920xt to use for triathlon, but wants to use an on-bike display for her power meter. Is there any reason that the 920xt and an Edge, say a 500 or 510, could not be simultaneously paired with a single PM, HRM and speed/cadence sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    Do you use the watch while also using the Edge? Do you use a power meter?

My wife wants a 920xt to use for triathlon, but wants to use an on-bike display for her power meter. Is there any reason that the 920xt and an Edge, say a 500 or 510, could not be simultaneously paired with a single PM, HRM and speed/cadence sensor?
    AFAIK, the Garmin Fenix can pair to the bike gadgets at the same time as the Edge. At least the HR monitor can, according to the reviews I've read.

I have a cadence sensor but never hooked it up. I have a pretty reliable internal metronome! No PM either, but from what I can tell…if it is an ANT+device you can pair it to the Fenix. Not sure about the 920xt.

I'm primarily after HR and all the hiking/running functions of the watch. Went hiking this afternoon using my iPhone as GPS, timer etc. A bit of a PITA to pull it out of the pocket to check distances and times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@djg21

Yes, I'm pretty sure that will work. I had a 910xt for a while and it worked. You can also get a quick release for them to move the watch head from the wristband to a bike mount and then back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12